aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008589 times)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9 alpha: Fists of Fury
« Reply #1860 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:04 am »
What about something like the coup de grace with a blunt weapon to do stun damage?  You can even call it police brutality if you want.

Offline Torklan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:40 am »

What difficulty are you playing on?
I don't recall these missions being particularly challenging.

Since I did not know the full Mod changes or find a wiki I was playing on Beginner.

There is no relation at all between the game time and spawning cult missions. You can continue into 1999 as normal. Therefore your premise is entirely false.

I did continue through 1999. The lack being able to shoot down UFOs meant they kept the game spawned them in greater numbers and larger sizes. So by the time I gave up the playthrough it was September of 2000. At which point there was almost no Cult mission spawning. They were all crowded out with UFOs, hybrid and terror missions.

There is no need for that, and it wouldn't make much sense. Terminating one cult isn't really that hard with Promotion II equipment.

I think it is more a fact without a road map and knowledge of which cultists to capture and when it having to end a cult becomes a very large uphill battle.

FFS, there is no "time limit" or any silliness like that. Please stop spreading paranoia. You make X-Com Files look like some insanely hard SNES game, while in fact it's pretty forgiving. Unless you insist on winning every battle ever, then it becomes really hard, and rightly so.

It is the base game that causes the time limit.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 13, 2018, 02:45:28 am »
I think its more the difficulty curve of unlocking promotion 3 : last I checked it was long, a little conveluded, and requiring infiltration of some of the higher tech groups like syndicate and such, and doing so is a bit harder than cult missions...

Offline leekall

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:06 am »
Can anybody help me I'm having an issue every time I try certain mission Medium Convoy the game will crash and say invalid surface set hybrid pack 4 armor Str Hybrid Armor, not enough frames?
this what I got from the logs

11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_LMG_AA_CLIP
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_EXPLOSIVE_AMMO
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_INCENDIARY_AMMO
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_SYNTHETIC_MUSCLES
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_SNIPER_RIFLE_AA_CLIP
[11-06-2018_14-14-34]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Sprite Set XCOM_202.PCK not found
[11-06-2018_14-14-34]   [FATAL]   Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available
[11-06-2018_14-14-42]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Sprite Set XCOM_202.PCK not found

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1864 on: June 13, 2018, 12:23:38 pm »
Since I did not know the full Mod changes or find a wiki I was playing on Beginner.

OK. Beginner is actually cheaty, as it decreases enemy armour, but I can't see how it could cause problems with the campaign.

I did continue through 1999. The lack being able to shoot down UFOs meant they kept the game spawned them in greater numbers and larger sizes. So by the time I gave up the playthrough it was September of 2000. At which point there was almost no Cult mission spawning. They were all crowded out with UFOs, hybrid and terror missions.

Repeat after me: game time does not influence frequency of cult missions. Nor do any alien missions. Period.

I think it is more a fact without a road map and knowledge of which cultists to capture and when it having to end a cult becomes a very large uphill battle.

I respectfully disagree. Plenty of people play X-Com Files to with good results.
Honestly, what information are you lacking? I honestly don't understand what the problem is. What kind of a "road map" do you need to capture and interrogate some guys???

It is the base game that causes the time limit.

I totally don't understand. What limit???
Sorry, but if I am to help, I must understand the problem first... Can anyone else provide any light maybe?

Can anybody help me I'm having an issue every time I try certain mission Medium Convoy the game will crash and say invalid surface set hybrid pack 4 armor Str Hybrid Armor, not enough frames?
this what I got from the logs

11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_LMG_AA_CLIP
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_EXPLOSIVE_AMMO
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_INCENDIARY_AMMO
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_SYNTHETIC_MUSCLES
[11-06-2018_14-14-11]   [ERROR]   Failed to load research STR_SNIPER_RIFLE_AA_CLIP
[11-06-2018_14-14-34]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Sprite Set XCOM_202.PCK not found
[11-06-2018_14-14-34]   [FATAL]   Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available
[11-06-2018_14-14-42]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Sprite Set XCOM_202.PCK not found

Yeah, I saw your report in another thread. I will soon check.

Offline mayford

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9 alpha: Fists of Fury
« Reply #1865 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:28 pm »
Hi!
What should be the settings of the game, so as not to overlap the mod? "Advanced", "Mods", etc.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »
Hi!
What should be the settings of the game, so as not to overlap the mod? "Advanced", "Mods", etc.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand the question at all.

What do you mean by "overlap"?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:33:45 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 13, 2018, 02:36:29 pm »
Hi!

Good question from Meridian, but let me respond to what I think you meant:

Generally speaking, no mods are compatible. Probably there are exceptions, but no mod is officially endorsed. If you want to use something, you must experiment and tweak it yourself. This includes vanilla mods, like melee on all guns and such.

As for the options, those that are necessary have been locked. If you can change them, then it means you are allowed to. :)

Have fun!

Offline mayford

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:21 pm »
I meant the settings that are in the game besides your mod. In the sections "Advanced" and "Mods". Will they affect the mod? I use only your mod. Or what can not be changed, highlighted in purple?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 13, 2018, 03:49:45 pm »
Under "Mods", only X-Com Files should be active.
Under "Advanced", it's up to you, but note that some options are locked and cannot be changed anyway (unless you modify the mod files, which of course is not a good idea if you don't know exactly what you are doing).

Offline mayford

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 13, 2018, 04:13:48 pm »
That is, for normal play, all options in the "Advanced" and "Mods" sections should be disabled, except those that are blocked?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 13, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
That is, for normal play, all options in the "Advanced" and "Mods" sections should be disabled, except those that are blocked?

In "Mods" everything should be disabled.
In "Advanced" you can change all you want.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 13, 2018, 06:00:37 pm »
This includes vanilla mods, like melee on all guns and such.
Interesting!
So, if I understood correctly, you preferred the "hand-to-hand combat" option (punch) and you don't want to activate (make) the "melee with a weapon" options?

Translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:01 pm »
It's more that the mod "melee with a weapon" for the original X-Com only works for weapons that were in the original, so any of the new weapons that are in XCF won't get melee attacks.  Also, the melee attack balance is completely different in XCF, so the values on the original weapons won't make sense.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 13, 2018, 07:22:07 pm »
Thanks for the explanation!  :)