aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950473 times)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.7 alpha: Into the Depths
« Reply #1695 on: March 23, 2018, 03:58:06 pm »
Very happy to hear the requirements for promotion 3 are diversified a little. I'll check this out when I get home.

Edit: probably won't get to try till tonight.

You know, I'd like to see missions requiring more use of non lethal means, perhaps indoctrinated civilians in cults (regular joes who are only very low level like Dagon supporters) which you lose points for killing despite being hostile.

Alternatively, what about a "base defense" mission which is actually a city / town, with mass mind control attacks using mind control nodes? Require taking people down non fatally like piratez raids, and destroying the mind control hub in the city (an immobile unit) to capture, possibly with a very heavy moral loss at "killing" the hub, so everyone surrenders on its death.

This sounds really fun and tough!  I like the idea.  Flashbangs  comeback would be nice too.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: March 23, 2018, 04:06:27 pm »
Now that I think about it, I'm surprised we don't have Flashbangs in The X-COM Files. They're such a nifty tool for riot control.
Xenonauts used Flashbangs as anti-reaction grenade. I think that in X-COM they would work better as lessening accuracy stats and general unit vision for a round or so, but they don't stack. Or take a cue from Xenonauts and have them reduce the reaction stats for a round, but again, no stacking penalties (you can't blind someone already blinded lol).

I think flashbangs should't work on aliens, because of their different (alien) photoreceptors. Rather, an Flashbangs-lvl2 should be made for them after enough autopsies. They also should't work on robots (superior machine cameras laugh at puny meatbags) and maybe zombies (because zombies use their sense of smell more).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:09:06 pm by Slaughter »

Offline Spess Mahren

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: March 23, 2018, 04:46:25 pm »
I'm updating my save to 0.8.7 from 0.8.6 and I just wanted to double check what I need to do.
I added
- region: REGION_CARCHARODON_USO_HEAVY_CRUISER
  missions: ~
- region: REGION_LOBSTERMAN_USO_FLEET_CRUISER
and I believe if I'm not mistaken that is all I need to do.           

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.6 alpha: Night of The Lobsters
« Reply #1698 on: March 24, 2018, 01:32:16 am »
Your laptop killed over because of Pizzagate? A conspiracy about pedophilia and worse things being perpetrated by high ranking D.C. politicians?

Ahahahahaha no, bad phrasing I guess. Althrough I would't past them. Actually it was the imagehost of my LP. One day it simply went down, never to return. Either the devs abandoned it or They took it down because it hosted a lot of Pizzagate content and evidence. I have no idea, just heard a lot of rumours.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: March 24, 2018, 03:22:36 am »
I'm updating my save to 0.8.7 from 0.8.6 and I just wanted to double check what I need to do.
I added
- region: REGION_CARCHARODON_USO_HEAVY_CRUISER
- region: REGION_LOBSTERMAN_USO_FLEET_CRUISER
and I believe if I'm not mistaken that is all I need to do.           

I'm curious about this, too. There's zero instruction about save updating.

Offline Dakkon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: March 24, 2018, 06:10:11 am »
Ahahahahaha no, bad phrasing I guess. Althrough I would't past them. Actually it was the imagehost of my LP. One day it simply went down, never to return. Either the devs abandoned it or They took it down because it hosted a lot of Pizzagate content and evidence. I have no idea, just heard a lot of rumours.

Wow, that's crazy. Although, I suppose it's not terribly unpredictable considering this freaking crazy world.

Also. "Ahhh, They; I know They well. Damn They, damn They to hell!"

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: March 25, 2018, 05:56:02 am »
honestly I think flash bangs would work on select aliens that AREN'T augmented : sectoids, snakemen, buff smurfs (I always forget their names) and probably waspites and chrysalis, while mutons, chronites, and etherals (they are organic, but surely heavy psi power must help) would be immune, or at least slightly weakened.

Actually, it would be interesting to flashbang zombies.... see if they wander a bit aimlessly while blind

Come to think of it, shouldn't zombies have a reduced vision range compared to other units, decay and cateract like conditions at all? maybe less so for higher ups (infectors, troopers and such) but the common zombie shouldn't have great eye sight, and poor night vision right? Zombies aren't exactly known for having keen vision. Id think all but the tomb guards and above would have depleted vision, and this would make nastier missions on superhuman a little more fair.

Also, I had an interesting idea for an item : what about binoculars, which half your vision cone width from 90 degrees to 45 degrees, but as you use them, boosts your vision range to max? Would be interesting, especially if cults could use them for snipers / spotters....and we could do the same =)

By the way, did you change AI so it does suppression fire into smoke if it cannot see a target? red dawn is crazy trigger happy when im in smoke, to the point smoke grenades feel nerfed into the ground. They are less accurate mind you, but climbing out of the ship is a NIGHTMARE it seems, the usual smoke and proceed tactic just isn't enough to avoid damage...maybe decrease the accuracy further,, and decrease the likelyhood? or am I just forced to deploy riot shield guys as bait, or something?...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:41:02 am by mumble »

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 25, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »
Come to think of it, shouldn't zombies have a reduced vision range compared to other units, decay and cateract like conditions at all? maybe less so for higher ups (infectors, troopers and such) but the common zombie shouldn't have great eye sight, and poor night vision right? Zombies aren't exactly known for having keen vision. Id think all but the tomb guards and above would have depleted vision, and this would make nastier missions on superhuman a little more fair.

Also, I had an interesting idea for an item : what about binoculars, which half your vision cone width from 90 degrees to 45 degrees, but as you use them, boosts your vision range to max? Would be interesting, especially if cults could use them for snipers / spotters....and we could do the same =)

By the way, did you change AI so it does suppression fire into smoke if it cannot see a target? red dawn is crazy trigger happy when im in smoke, to the point smoke grenades feel nerfed into the ground. They are less accurate mind you, but climbing out of the ship is a NIGHTMARE it seems, the usual smoke and proceed tactic just isn't enough to avoid damage...maybe decrease the accuracy further,, and decrease the likelyhood? or am I just forced to deploy riot shield guys as bait, or something?...

Zombies (on this lore) utilize smell as a primary sensing.

Binoculars sounds interesting.

I don't know if the AI has changed, but that behavior sounds cool. Maybe not on the first turn. But some enemies should have that tactic, shoot blind to the smoke. It makes things interesting.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:29 pm »
My problem is the blind fire makes escaping the vehicle and getting to cover a nasty endevor, theres no real cover with the ships bottom, you are surrounded, and smoke doesn't seem to stop firing at all. And with people spread out, the bullets will still hit someone even if its not an intended target. At very least, the firing should be far more randomized, as I think it still targets the person, but just has horrible accuracy.

Also, I think it should be reserved for certain troops, similar to snipers and spotters, make a few "suppression" classes or whatever.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:20 pm »
So, how do I port my save to new version?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: March 26, 2018, 12:25:20 am »
Unless otherwise specified, you don't have to do anything special: Just copy-paste the files and that's it. The save games are located in a separate directory and thus untouched (although it's unwise to update and then load a battlescape save).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1706 on: March 26, 2018, 11:39:56 am »
Now that I think about it, I'm surprised we don't have Flashbangs in The X-COM Files. They're such a nifty tool for riot control.
Xenonauts used Flashbangs as anti-reaction grenade. I think that in X-COM they would work better as lessening accuracy stats and general unit vision for a round or so, but they don't stack. Or take a cue from Xenonauts and have them reduce the reaction stats for a round, but again, no stacking penalties (you can't blind someone already blinded lol).

I think flashbangs should't work on aliens, because of their different (alien) photoreceptors. Rather, an Flashbangs-lvl2 should be made for them after enough autopsies. They also should't work on robots (superior machine cameras laugh at puny meatbags) and maybe zombies (because zombies use their sense of smell more).

Write all the code necessary for this, submit it to Meridian for a review, and if it's accepted, we're fine. :D

I'm curious about this, too. There's zero instruction about save updating.

There is no need to alter the save in any way. Where did you people get this idea from? And why specifically regions???

Offline Spess Mahren

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: March 26, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »
I got the idea of needing to update the save from the thread in the x-piratez subforum dealing with upgrading saves.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 27, 2018, 01:05:55 am »
I was making jokes about Indiana Jones and whips, as well as the mediocre "The Mummy" movies. Not sure what you're referring to, if anything.

Daddy pulls out his belt, mummy just guilts you into doing what she wants.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.8 alpha: The Mummy Returns
« Reply #1709 on: April 07, 2018, 06:53:12 pm »
Version 0.8.8 is out!

- Updated to newest OXCE+ version.
- New missions: Cruise Liner Raid, Mummy Abode, Ancient Mummy Abode.
- New unit: Mummy Matriarch.
- New Dossier: David Vincent (co-op with Human Ktulu).
- New Skorpion sprites (by The Funktasm).
- New Thrasher handob (by Dioxine).
- Fixed Night of the Lobsters unit composition.
- Fixed shield regeneration on terror mission (by Otto Hartenstein).