Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007771 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5c alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #1020 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:05 pm »
Railguns or plasma at range... the only way to be sure.

This run has been... interesting.

Literally been abducting aliens out of their ships for intel. Only faced 6 races. First terror site was ethereals and cyberdisks...immediate dust off; haven't seen them since. Tons of landings consisting of sectoids and floaters with a smattering of gazers and arthropods. The only terror sites I've had have been floaters or snakemen. I've had 2 base defense missions both snakemen and brutally suppressed in a few turns.  The cyberweb didn't net me any benefits so meh.

Destroyed 2 out of the 4 cults only 1 spawns anymore and the concealed weapons crap means I need like all 26 guys to do it right.

I'm swimming in resources from farming supply ships. Just grabbed a commander for Cydonia or Bust and have 6 alien bases on the map. So I'll gut a few cyberdisks and then get the electronics out of them, build the Avenger and win.

I'm curious about what the next version brings.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1021 on: March 03, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »
Many thanks for sharing, and congratulations! Post-campaign reports are useful, and also just nice to read.

After I'm done with the Syndicate, I plan to go back to the Cyberweb arc. It should be pretty cool actually.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 04, 2017, 02:24:16 am »
Biggest hurdle is the logical one of being an organization to fight aliens and showing proof they exist and then the dudes just "swamp gas" or "venus" it away... I mean we are the ones who say "Venus swamp gas", you can't snow us :) wtf

Firearms are still rough, but it will sort.

Railguns are high damage but not ultimate weapons, and the craft mounted ones net too much profit.

The craft upgrades are ok. but an 8 man team can kill almost anything with access to BlackOps gear with no sweat at all. Cultists, aliens, monsters...piffle.

the tanks are only good for defensive situations and pretty marginal at that... their accuracy sucks.

The cyber disk tanks require resources that make them unattractive in favor of flying suits and heavy weapons. more shots, mobility, overwatch capabilities and can go anywhere etc. they need love, quite honestly I don't need an armored flying lethal machine... I need a stun wagon with machine dart guns and stun bombs.

or a fusion torch and LMG tank for cutting open a ufo.

The early armors are basically crap, until the armored vest, but then personal armor states it sucks against bullets so back to allot vests until powersuits.

I'd say armor that added strength but wasn't clomptastic would be a good add so heavy weapons wouldn't fuck your stamina.

Fatigues should be a research topics from the beginning that at least offers you use of the backpack.

I think the big swing in difficulty towards the player will change with more Midgame enemies and I didn't face any super badasses so there is that.

Squad support weapons that are decent are lacking for sure. LMGS are meh and if you have accuracy to support accurate fire with an LMG then a sniper rifle is more than likely a better choice.

laser weapons for me were an after thought because copious bullets and HE got the job done and by the time blasta weapons came about I had plasma weapons.

a rocket launchers should not be a weapon able to be fired one handed lol.

I didn't use the flamethrower, but getting close enough to use it seemed really bad for agent survival.

shotguns were meh and had superior accuracy to almost all guns I used, but code is law, right?

didn't bother using Psi, but I did screen all my agents and built troops resistant to psi to handle naughty sectoids.

The vans were a great option for rapid response outmoded by the first true aircraft, not bad just kinda disappointing. I loved the awww fuck feeling of scrambling to respond to a wicked bad attack.

I only ever saw the MIB at crop circles and they died like dogs and were easily overwhelmed, I remember in a previous version fighting them from a ufo they had built with crazy weapons.

never got the MAGMA mission.

spider caves were cool but a wash as by the time I encountered my first one I had bad ass gear.

the pointless research topics that added only flavor without giving access to gear were super annoying and eye rolling as they made me feel I had wasted my time... that is a personal failing not one of this mod.

certain logical failings made me scratch my head. even police in super fun hating countries have access to rifles a UN sponsored taskforce should as well. also, seeing Civillians in certain countries at a terror site packing made me giggle.

All things considered for the amount of things I know are undone I'd give my experience a solid 7.5/10 and know this run will be way different than one next release.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:49:37 am by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 04, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »
Thanks for the addendum. Some of the problem you mentioned are already solved, some will be. It's a slow process, but we're getting there!

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 04, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »
Nope, I gain a SOLID 28 points for both kill and corpse, netting 56 total points, just for blowing his brains out.

The body TAKES 10 k$ to dispose of though...

Its actually kinda a funny balance that way, like its more convenient to destroy the witness, but at the same time, fabricating a reason for death which implicates no fault on xcom takes a lot of money to process. :P. Forging a death certificate, paying people off, ect, takes money.

By the way, just want to say I just had the MOST awesome moment last night : Attacking a cult stronghold (church of dagon) and when spraying the building with tommygun fire, a bullet nicked a barrel, blowing out a wall, then another went through the hole, hitting a missle rack. The explosion was huge enough it killed literally 95% of the force, I was standing there for what felt like a minute, watching all the bodies fade in after the kills, it felt like maybe 15 bodies, maybe more. After that, everyone left over panicked for literally 3 turns at the sight of the stronghold being blown to dust, and only 1 person was willing to fight past that.

I know this isn't a new idea in xcom, but seeing this happen unintentionally, was absolutely amazing  ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 04, 2017, 04:35:40 pm »
Nope, I gain a SOLID 28 points for both kill and corpse, netting 56 total points, just for blowing his brains out.

Then it's a bug after all, thought it could be already fixed in my development version. I'll check.

The body TAKES 10 k$ to dispose of though...

Its actually kinda a funny balance that way, like its more convenient to destroy the witness, but at the same time, fabricating a reason for death which implicates no fault on xcom takes a lot of money to process. :P. Forging a death certificate, paying people off, ect, takes money.

Yes, that's the general idea :)

By the way, just want to say I just had the MOST awesome moment last night : Attacking a cult stronghold (church of dagon) and when spraying the building with tommygun fire, a bullet nicked a barrel, blowing out a wall, then another went through the hole, hitting a missle rack. The explosion was huge enough it killed literally 95% of the force, I was standing there for what felt like a minute, watching all the bodies fade in after the kills, it felt like maybe 15 bodies, maybe more. After that, everyone left over panicked for literally 3 turns at the sight of the stronghold being blown to dust, and only 1 person was willing to fight past that.

I know this isn't a new idea in xcom, but seeing this happen unintentionally, was absolutely amazing  ;D

Heh, yeah, I was hoping it'd happen to someone. :)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 04, 2017, 07:14:56 pm »
Thanks for the addendum. Some of the problem you mentioned are already solved, some will be. It's a slow process, but we're getting there!

Yup, Of course!! Bug smashing takes time and a ton of effort is expended at the same time. Besides, with RNG and everything; mileage will vary. I also  have a direct play style that emphasizes "kill the shit out of it with creative problem solving" which is probably not conducive to using all weapons effectively.

Oh, and ninja weapons being able to pierce powered armor? lol no dude. I don't care how well you are trained throwing a knife or using a sword against a piece of armor that takes heavy plasma on the regular, hundreds of bullets, explosions, fire, and what wounds the operator is fucking knife? or a sword? wtfe  ;D

**BOOOM**
"Sir, It appears to be raining meat".
"Carry on"

My personal favorite for me was a cult mission where I lobbed an incendiary grenade into the buildings 1st floor on turn 1. A dozen cultists got caught on fire and ran outside in a panic to be mowed down via reaction fire ... It was a quick mission.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 04, 2017, 08:59:43 pm »
Yup, Of course!! Bug smashing takes time and a ton of effort is expended at the same time. Besides, with RNG and everything; mileage will vary. I also  have a direct play style that emphasizes "kill the shit out of it with creative problem solving" which is probably not conducive to using all weapons effectively.

Yeah, naturally, there are different playstyles... And I can't promise to deliver for every single one of them. ;)

And yeah, balancing is hard. Especially since you often have to choose if you're balancing for the current release, or some future, planned release. (Obviously I tend to choose the latter, but sometimes it hurts the game-as-it-is-now.)

Oh, and ninja weapons being able to pierce powered armor? lol no dude. I don't care how well you are trained throwing a knife or using a sword against a piece of armor that takes heavy plasma on the regular, hundreds of bullets, explosions, fire, and what wounds the operator is fucking knife? or a sword? wtfe  ;D

Hey, it's already much better than before! :P

**BOOOM**
"Sir, It appears to be raining meat".
"Carry on"

Don't forget the umbrella!

My personal favorite for me was a cult mission where I lobbed an incendiary grenade into the buildings 1st floor on turn 1. A dozen cultists got caught on fire and ran outside in a panic to be mowed down via reaction fire ... It was a quick mission.

Incendiary grenades make everything 200% more awesome.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:03 pm »
Yeah, naturally, there are different playstyles... And I can't promise to deliver for every single one of them. ;)

Yeah... I don't think you planned on having a guy saying "ok, I need long range accurate firepower, area of effect, and building busting capability. Well, Better go with the old A3K in the left hand & Multilauncher in the right hand commando style. Hmm I better wear powered armor too and prime
a few grenades and HE."

queue me at the Black Lotus HQ with a dude at an X intersection. Move one square around the corner; two steps total advance. Ass ton of point blank reaction fire 5 dudes. I drop an HE pack and turn around to retreat. Clusters of enemies directly behind just out of view from the intersection like 7 dudes down a long hall in clusters of 2s and 3s. Autofire the rocket launcher...7 kills. Walk back to start position and reveals ninja trying to sneak up on me. Give him a new eyehole in his forehead. make it back to my orginal location and HE goes off at end of turn.... there was another ninja somewhere in the HE AOE that got blowd up.

14 kills in a turn.

Hey, it's already much better than before! :P

Yes.  ;)

Incendiary grenades make everything 200% more awesome.

Oh yes. One thing also happened that made me laugh my ass off.

Base defense mission. Shoot dinosaur, dinosaur tries to shoot back and suddenly their is fire everywhere and dead snakemen.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 04, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
Perhaps we need a new thread for "oh shit moments in XCF". ;) Feel free to make one if you want, it's great reading.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 04, 2017, 11:06:48 pm »
Perhaps we need a new thread for "oh shit moments in XCF". ;) Feel free to make one if you want, it's great reading.
"Field reports" would fit better  ;)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 04, 2017, 11:30:58 pm »
Yeah, the stuff you can do in it is pretty fun.

By the way, will you add gun melee to guns? I loved this about piratez, it made the tommygun one of my favorites by FAR, even if it had shitty accuracy. Also helps I had a laugh for trying to kidnap a ghoul, and having to bash it in the face with the tommy gun 10 times just to haul it with me.

Also, is there a way to enable seeing weights / storage space on the sell screen? This would really help with controlling storage...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:32 am »
By the way, will you add gun melee to guns? I loved this about piratez, it made the tommygun one of my favorites by FAR, even if it had shitty accuracy. Also helps I had a laugh for trying to kidnap a ghoul, and having to bash it in the face with the tommy gun 10 times just to haul it with me.

Yes, I added just one such weapon in 0.6 (as an experiment of sorts): bayoneted SKS rifle. We'll see if it's OK balance-wise.

Also, is there a way to enable seeing weights / storage space on the sell screen? This would really help with controlling storage...

I am not aware of such an option.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 05, 2017, 12:35:52 am »
Its in piratez, in "fence", it shows how much weight you have, and how much you will get after selling things. Great for seeing what the bigger weight items are, and allowing deeper meta.

No idea how he did it, but damn its useful...

By the way, black ops sniper has +25% armor instead of minus, essentially meaning the rifle, while greatly machined, fires normal lead slugs which disintegrate on armor, hehe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:48:32 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 05, 2017, 01:49:21 am »
Its in piratez, in "fence", it shows how much weight you have, and how much you will get after selling things. Great for seeing what the bigger weight items are, and allowing deeper meta.

No idea how he did it, but damn its useful...

Dioxine came back to me and explained that it only comes up with storage limits enabled. I never noticed.

By the way, black ops sniper has +25% armor instead of minus, essentially meaning the rifle, while greatly machined, fires normal lead slugs which disintegrate on armor, hehe.

Yeah, fixed many such mistakes recently. :)