Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949635 times)

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5 alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2017, 02:36:13 pm »
Another crash - with a message "Research STR_STAFF_009 Not found" (happens at roughly 23:30 - in a few in-game hours - see the savefile).

Savefile, logfile and screenshot are attached.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:21 pm »
Is it possible to start with funding from just one or two countries, possibly determined by where you start, and earn the payments from other countries as you go?

Not possible without changes to the code, and possibly very deep changes.

And it would actually make the mod a completely different game about a different organization in different circumstances... So I don't think so.

Another crash - with a message "Research STR_STAFF_009 Not found" (happens at roughly 23:30 - in a few in-game hours - see the savefile).

Oops, I did it again. Thanks for the report and sorry.

For quick fix, add this to your research_XCOMFILES.rul file:

Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_STAFF_009
    cost: 0
    dependencies:
      - STR_TROLLIUM

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »
IMHO:
You know, about late game... Please, rework rail weapons. They are completely unbalanced. Now after research heavy rail cannon no other weapons ever needed. It is... ruining game conception, i think.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 04, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »
IMHO:
You know, about late game... Please, rework rail weapons. They are completely unbalanced. Now after research heavy rail cannon no other weapons ever needed. It is... ruining game conception, i think.

Yes, duly noted. I haven't touched that part of the game yet, it's straight copied from the Final Mod Pack... But first I need to finish the mid-game before I get to that.

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:30 pm »
Not exactly a glitch, but rather a weird feature - on the Durathread Factory map units seem to move without actually spending their TU (only outside buildings). I've encountered this one before, but managed to get the savefile only today.
And sometimes the game just freezes on this map (endless "Enemy moving" sequence).

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 04, 2017, 10:19:56 pm »
Not exactly a glitch, but rather a weird feature - on the Durathread Factory map units seem to move without actually spending their TU (only outside buildings). I've encountered this one before, but managed to get the savefile only today.
And sometimes the game just freezes on this map (endless "Enemy moving" sequence).

Yes, something's wrong with this particular terrain. I'll have a look later. Thanks.

Now I'm doing this stuff:

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2017, 12:38:51 am »
And other strange thing - why is that newly born Chryssalid shown as three enemies instead of one? ("Rogue Chryssalid" mission)

UPDATE - "OH SH** - Those WERE really THREE CHRYSSALIDS!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:41:55 am by firsttefl1 »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 05, 2017, 12:53:57 am »

Glad it's not a bug.

BTW there is a separate thread for bug reports.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 05, 2017, 08:49:33 am »
Well, the game is still being balanced. :q

I'd actually say it is fairly well balanced... As base facilities are VERY high cost, but low maintenance so your initial buy in is high for the facility itself and in the case of a laboratory; staffing it is also expensive. 3.5 million dollar outlay and 1.1 million in upkeep monthly.

To be an effective multinational force with reasonable response times across the world requires more bases and air craft and with the high number of smaller missions and likely risks of wounding or fatality among agents combined with long personnel development times, and rapidly changing equipment means tactical operations are EXPENSIVE

Now, I can focus more on the tactical aspect and less on the logistical aspect which can be arduous at times.

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 05, 2017, 10:55:43 am »
I see Vault Boy ate to many Sugar Bombs.

Offline dorsidwarf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 06, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »
I've been playing this again, and developed an utter hatred for the spider missions. I was almost okay with the immense casualties the civs take on the surface,  until after about 10 innocent off-camera maulings I finally got to the second stage, at which point I discovered there were like 30 random idiots wandering around in the spider cave, being mowed down for a massive points loss each time.

Has anyone managed to come up with a way to make terror missions, especially the spider terror missions, not a guaranteed abysmal failure that guarantees defunding any month in which it comes up? I've tried so many times but no matter what, X-Com always takes the blame for a bunch of dead people they physically, humanly, could not in any way have saved. Civilians dont even seem to run from danger in x-com, its so frustrating, especially now that your funding isn't more-or-less unlimited.

edit: stuff like spiders normally taking 1-2 shots but sometimes happily eating 8 direct hits at point-blank range from an AK without going down is fun also
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:51:38 pm by dorsidwarf »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 06, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »
First of all, congratulations on getting this rare mission. I could never get it myself! :P

Secondly, on the second stage there should be only a few civilians, tops. This amount is an honest bug which will be fixed ASAP. Sorry!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 06, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »
Relevant xkcd comic :

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 06, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »
Relevant xkcd comic :

XD

Now I feel like posting some upcoming weapons as a thank you for actually making me laugh:

Left to right: PKM, SWD, Smith & Wesson 610, FN P-90, FAMAS, Luger (the new sprite - the old one will be used for the Mauser from now on), Mac-10, QBU-88, BlackOps Magnum.
All except the last one are real guns.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 06, 2017, 09:34:10 pm »
Funny you guys talk about that, because I had a mission with a whooping 48 Scorpions on it. It came down to one soldier firing off the last of our ammo in order to win. Luckly that was enough, because I'm pretty sure I was this close to ending up fighting scorpions with machetes and combat knifes.