aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1991702 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2016, 08:40:59 am »
OK, regarding EXALT HQ... I've attached the fix, put it in the Ruleset folder.

What was missing:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_EXALT_HQ
    bigSprite: 299
    weight: 0
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3

I've kind of found myself at an impasse as to how to proceed. Dealing with the Black Lotus... I don't have access to transport for more men to give myself a real shot and the ninjas... ugh. I'm so over the silly invisible tards.  I can't buy explosives and anything more than a hit and run on a base mission is suicide at least with the BL . Suggestions? Even eye laser shooty lady isn't as silly as ninjas.

If you don't want to wait for a bigger transport, you could build a new base in the Black Lotus region and use Mudranger from there. I know at least two people who did it successfully.

Why is the M16 classified as having a slow reload?

I'll check :)

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2016, 03:07:55 pm »
Anyone else got this color glitch? Because frankly only after this release Commendation worked for me so maybe it is something on my side.

Anyway I just fought one of the most epic battles ever in Xcom. Having allready Dragonfly and standard military equipement I've stumbled upon MiB terrorising some city. They had better gear, but my soldiers had better training (I suppose). Trying to get rid f their tanks I had to tear down half of the city. When situation seemed to be under control all of a suden a freaking Sectopod walked out of the storage.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2016, 06:33:03 pm »
How can I wait for bigger transport when I must capture dudes to tor..I mean...interrogate for information to build such craft?

Also, bases disappear after an unsuccessful mission.... that's annoying. Is a base going to be there long enough for me to build a base when one reappears?

Also, why does the double barrel shotgun have fast reload?

Edited because I'm an idiot

-HH
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:36:37 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:53 pm »
Anyone else got this color glitch? Because frankly only after this release Commendation worked for me so maybe it is something on my side.

Anyway I just fought one of the most epic battles ever in Xcom. Having allready Dragonfly and standard military equipement I've stumbled upon MiB terrorising some city. They had better gear, but my soldiers had better training (I suppose). Trying to get rid f their tanks I had to tear down half of the city. When situation seemed to be under control all of a suden a freaking Sectopod walked out of the storage.

Wow.
You must be pretty deep in the campaign. Would you mind sending me a save? I'm just curious what you have by this point.

How can I wait for bigger transport when I must capture dudes to tor..I mean...interrogate for information to build such craft?

*whistling*
:D

Also, bases disappear after an unsuccessful mission.... that's annoying. Is a base going to be there long enough for me to build a base when one reappears?

No, sadly I can't really do that. You need to wait until it reappears. But it's usually in a consistent location.

Also, why does the double barrel shotgun have fast reload?

Because Doom. 8)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2016, 07:36:35 pm »
Because Doom. 8)

As good an answer as any...

I've noticed some of the flavor text is incomplete.... no bigge.

Also, there are some copy editing issues, nothing major but they exist. Also some ambiguity with some of the biological concepts discussed in certain autopsies and reports. I happen to be a very educated person with background in biology and noticed it... do you want me to provide suggestions or keep my mouth shut?

-HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »
I've noticed some of the flavor text is incomplete.... no bigge.

Yeah, it's all very much still in production.

Also, there are some copy editing issues, nothing major but they exist. Also some ambiguity with some of the biological concepts discussed in certain autopsies and reports. I happen to be a very educated person with background in biology and noticed it... do you want me to provide suggestions or keep my mouth shut?

Sure!
But remember there is very little space for text in Ufopaedia.

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:23 pm »
Here You go.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2016, 10:46:47 am »
Thanks! I'll have a look over the weekend.

In other news, I am currently working on a new arc, the 'Cyberweb arc'. In this continuity, the Cyberweb is a loose criminal organization of scientists who managed to secure some extraterrestrial technology and made very good use of it. They are pursuing knowledge, doing dangerous experiments and doing Black Mesa stuff, but on small scale. They use robotic soldiers, experimental energy weapons (crude but powerful) and cybernetic augmentations. They also normally live in very small groups in underground vaults.

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2016, 11:54:50 pm »
Sounds neat. But chronologilcally (after a starting new game) where it would be placed? Before, during or after cult arc?

Also a quick report. After knocking out
Spoiler:
Brainer
  in EXALT HQ (I HATE THOSE F*&%$@S!!!!!!!)I got something like this:
OpenXcom has crashed: Invalid surface set 'EXALT_BRAINER.PCK for armor 'EXALT_BRAINER_ARMOR': not enoght frames

And also a small question. Is it a pure coincidence or the Xenologist on purpose looks like one respected expert?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:56:25 pm by kazek »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2016, 02:23:48 am »
Is there a feature where you can kill live enemies in containment?

I have tons of live zombies from missions and I want their corpses.

HH

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2016, 04:49:55 am »
Is there a feature where you can kill live enemies in containment?

I have tons of live zombies from missions and I want their corpses.

HH
Right click the alien containment facility in the base screen to bring up the alien containment management dialogue. There you can execute prisoners remove specimens.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2016, 11:35:17 am »
Sounds neat. But chronologilcally (after a starting new game) where it would be placed? Before, during or after cult arc?

After, but they will somewhat overlap. This faction will be somewhat related to one of the cult factions, so you will need to get pretty far with that cult faction to discover these guys.

Also a quick report. After knocking out
Spoiler:
Brainer
  in EXALT HQ (I HATE THOSE F*&%$@S!!!!!!!)I got something like this:

Ouch. Worked for me, but there could be something that broke with the newest version of the .exe. I admit there was a dirty hack regarding this unit, but it never gave me trouble before.
You don't happen to have a save, do you?

And also a small question. Is it a pure coincidence or the Xenologist on purpose looks like one respected expert?

Not consciously, but it's a brilliant idea!

EDIT:
Yeah, the Brainer's entry in armors_XCOMFILES.rul, under EXALT_BRAINER_ARMOR, lacked:

Code: [Select]
    drawingRoutine: 4

It's crashing it...

Quick fix attached.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:16:15 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »
Not consciously, but it's a brilliant idea!
Thanks, it gave me quite laughs, when I figured this out.

So... I'm one step from ascending into regular X-com, so here are my thoughts on balance. (if someone doesnt want to spoil themeselves fun, please dont read this) Sol, keep in mind, that these are not complaints, but only suggestions:

Spoiler:
1. After some time sky is swarming with UFOs, and I don't have means to shut them down. It is before my third promoion, but I did a speed run, accepting all important mission to get rid of the cults as quick as possible, but some (mostly bases and HQs) don't spawn very often. So in the end I'm waiting for Black Lotus to spawn while being unable to counteract against full-blown alien invasion. I'd suggest delaying UFOs a bit.
2. I really don't see the point in Jumpsuits right now. They require a special material, and by the time I get it(after Red Dawn HQ) I have my strike teams allready equiped with Armored Vests, which have much better protection. It is heavier, but thanks to gym all my soldiers have strenght at 70, so they can manage it.
3. The  EXALT HQ was one of the most awesome as well as hardest missions ever. Without special gear and heavilly outnumbered my men were droping like flies. And in those labirinths of rooms and corridors it was very easy to overlook someone. But after some time it became really frustrating, when chasing the last enemy alive (and previouslly stunned, who came to their senses) with only 8, underequipped men. After long time I gave up and hauled my soldiers along with the most important prisoners to the LZ. (by the way, the last, post mortem insult from EXALT: Terminate the EXALT doesn't has UFOpedia entry at all, i mean not a blank page with STR_TERMINATE_THE_EXALT, but it doesn't even show)
4. While i love the concept of camouflaged enemies, those damn ninjas tend to camp to much. Few times I had to resign from the mission in the same manner, because some of my men were bleeding to their deaths and I ran out of medicines to tend them. And getting every single unit (inclufing tired ones) to vechicles took so loooooong.
5. I don't know, if this can be changed (or is a part of game mechanics), but shotgun loaded with Breneka(or other AP rounds) can be used as sniper rifle and take down a target from a long distance. And because shotgun has so low AP cost it's currentlly better than SR.

None of this issues changes the fact, that Your mod is a masterpiece, and gave me so much fun. I can't wait for the next release.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »
Thank you very much for the review, and for playing the mod in the first place!

ad. 1) I don't know what I can do about it. You can still hope for a landing nearby...

ad. 2) I am still thinking how to make Jumpsuits more useful. Once Environments are in, they may become more attractive.

ad. 3) Yeah, it's a very long mission, and extraction with the captive is not a bad idea. The Ufopaedia bug will be fixed in the next version.

ad. 4) Sorry, the ninjas are staying. ;)

ad. 5) I've just rebalanced shotguns, hopefully for the better.

Again, many thanks!

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2016, 01:31:14 am »
Right click the alien containment facility in the base screen to bring up the alien containment management dialogue. There you can execute prisoners remove specimens.

THANKS!!!