Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1993262 times)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »
So, does it boil down to the fact that research times for creatures are too long? (Cultists should be fine, they're cheap.)
I think so. After 3-4 months of playing, I had enough "backlog" projects to research for the rest of the year. Creatures that I captured on the first battle, I could only study 6 months later.
From looking at the 0.2 ruleset, a single scientist (20% of your brain power for the first three months) performing an autopsy takes from 0.3 months to 6 months; studying a live specimen takes 3 months. Actually, even studying a captured baseball bat takes 10 days to write a report "It's a stick. You hit people with it.".
Note, in Openxcom, the more scientists you put on a project, the more you waste when the total is reached and exceeded (ex: 10 scientists, a random 0-9 are wasted, average 4.5) This is the opposite of vanilla, where the entire team will work "a second time for free" when it's reassigned. If the research seems to be a bottleneck, it really entices to split the research, in order to spare a man-day here and there.
By the way, I found the magnum sprite jarring, compared to the other contemporary weapons, so I tried a different drawing, inspired by the snub-nose pistol.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2016, 03:12:52 pm »
Wow, a very nice Magnum indeed.

As for the research times... yeah, I'll reconsider them. They are there for a reason, but ideas evolve and I guess I'll have to tone it down a little.
EDIT: I reduced all critters' research times across the board by 50-60% (it was usually 90, now it's usually 40). Hopefully it makes things better.

EDIT:
Version 1.2.1 has been released.
Get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/download/rxnvb77ctvju2by/OpenXcom_XFiles_0.2.1.zip

Mostly fixes and changes after feedback. Most notably, you also get access to sonic weapons.

• Enabled sonic weapons use for X-Com and added some related research.
  • Reduced creatures research times across the board by 50-60%.
  • Added Janissary entries to the Ufopaedia.
  • Fixed some listOrders.

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »
Sounds great! Getting right to it.

Soooo... Since we have smartguns, motion trackers, dropships and black chitin aliens using live humans as hosts... Will it be possible to get one of those:

I would completely pass on plasma and laser guns just to use M41a.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2016, 01:08:41 am »
Maybe! If there's a logical place for it.
Obviously it's not a buyable weapon. It's not a BlackOps weapon either, since they make the Assault Rifle or heavier weapons. Besides, I wouldn't want BlackOps to make such "shout out" merchandise, it should be something unique.
I guess we'd need a special mission for these. I plan some rare encounters, we can add it there for research and production.

EDIT: 0.2.2 was uploaded.
- Undersea missions now require researching a submarine.
- New railgun hit animation (by pWWWa).
- Fixed a critical bug which prevented the player from accessing the final mission of the T'Leth arc.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:07 am »
Can you upload to mega?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T800 mit Tapatalk

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:26 am »
Hey Solarius, if you want some inspiration: Check out old plataformer Arkritz The Intruder. Cult classic, I think its mostly unknown outside of Brazil and Europe.

Its a game about a corrupt ex-cop washing his troubles down with alcohol... which causes him to end up hunted down by the authorities while trying to fight a invasion of aliens and mutants in a small town and solve its mysteries. With sarcastic commentary inside your head, hehehehehe.

Don't be offset by plataformer, a good part of the game is about running around a small city with beautiful graphics, fighting and fleeing from all the enemies and collecting gear in a realistic world.

Might give you ideas. Great game btw. Hard as FUCK tho.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:35:50 am by Slaughter »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2016, 11:21:48 am »
Can you upload to mega?

I can upload to all the servers in the world, but it wouldn't be very organized, right?
Is Mediafire problematic? Why are you asking?

Hey Solarius, if you want some inspiration: Check out old plataformer Arkritz The Intruder. Cult classic, I think its mostly unknown outside of Brazil and Europe.

(...)

Thanks, I'll check maybe, when I'm done with my current games. I don't have any problems with getting ideas though ;)

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:56 pm »
Wow it is impressive! I love it.
Tooo many weapons is it necessary?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T800 mit Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2016, 02:37:58 pm »
Wow it is impressive! I love it.

Thank you! Just wait till it gets better! :)

Tooo many weapons is it necessary?

If it's necessary, then by definition it's not too many.
If it's too many, then by definition it's not necessary.
:P

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2016, 09:56:24 pm »

Man, I spent 3 hours last night trying to go through a Black Lotus Cultist base with a Dragonfly, 8 Men with Tactical Armour and LMGs...

Three Hours.

Damn Ninjas.  The first 2 hours were casualty free, then , despite being in a position which attempted to covered all directions of advance against me...  I lost 5 soldiers in 5 turns to a damn Ninja I couldn't see...

Then spent an hour hunting down 4 more of those Ninja that I couldn't see, but I knew were around as my soldiers stopped after every tile of movement.

....Made me wish I had a flamethrower I could just torch vast areas with to flush them out...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2016, 12:44:43 pm »
5 dead? Not bad, I had 3, but most people ended up wounded and also I was super lucky for the mission to spawn within Mudranger's range. Reenacting 'japanese XCOM' paid off handsomely :) Managed to do this in circa 2 hrs due to offensive approach. This was one of the best missions I've ever played in XCOM... and also a mission I NEVER want to play again :)

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2016, 06:35:41 pm »
It is absolutely crazy........

I think personally, I'm not a fan of the invisibility mechanic overall...  But I put up with it, because without it or a viable alternative, the missions would be too much easier....

It was just, losing 5 men in 5 turns to what I think was a Shruiken armed warrior, was just...    GAAAH!

:D

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:06 am »
Hey Solarius, I remember you saying you had no plans to change certain vanilla aspects in original FMP, but what about here?

And by "certain vanilla aspects", I'm talking about Psi.

I'm not going to rant at length about how unbalanced it is at the hands of the player, because you of course know that.

But I do find it ludicrous that X-COM learns psi and is using it as well or better than the aliens, in like five minutes, when those aliens had that sort of power for millions of years.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:53 pm »
Hey Solarius, I remember you saying you had no plans to change certain vanilla aspects in original FMP, but what about here?

And by "certain vanilla aspects", I'm talking about Psi.

I'm not going to rant at length about how unbalanced it is at the hands of the player, because you of course know that.

But I do find it ludicrous that X-COM learns psi and is using it as well or better than the aliens, in like five minutes, when those aliens had that sort of power for millions of years.

No, I am not bound by vanilla compliance as with the FMP. This is exactly why I started this as a separate project: to have more freedom with this kind of stuff.
Nevertheless, I haven't come up with a better psi system yet. I'm open to reasonable suggestions (reasonable meaning, ones that are possible to implement).

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2016, 06:29:28 am »
hi compadre, i have to say im thrilled by the idea of the mod, and at first glance look pretty interesting so imma take a look and enjoy the ride :D.

btw i dont know if is a bug or is WAD but just starting the campaing and looking the ufopaedia you are able to see the underwater advanced operations(one talking about trident submarine)