Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire  (Read 2294339 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New
« Reply #6150 on: July 16, 2024, 06:34:45 pm »
I haven't actually tested CrazedHarpooner's scripts, but it looks like a great proof of concept. I am seriously impressed.

Still, the sheer size of this thing is a bit too much to maintain. There are just so many moving parts in XCF, I don't think I can control what happens in any given scenario. Besides, the entire thing is ginormous and would make working on the mod problematic in the future. Considering that the issue it addresses is relatively marginal, I am not ready to incorporate it in the main mod any time soon.

Nevertheless, I do recommend making it a submod. It looks pretty neat, and I think it deserves to be tested in battle.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: July 16, 2024, 06:43:47 pm »
Yeah, if there was a way to get map size to use in scripts or at least use coordinates that start from the point opposite of the origin, this would be much easier to make and maintain.

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: July 24, 2024, 02:58:40 pm »
Thanks, Coorta! Happy to read that, and I hope you'll play again. :)

It'll probably be added in time, since the "mod canon" for this is slowly coalescing between X-Piratez and XCF.

Play X-Piratez to find out! :D

Canon-wise, they kind of hate each others' guts, which I think is enough to explain their cold relations.

I think that you can use X-com apocalypse explanations for elerium - basically it is supposed to be mineral that is mined in different star system that is unreachable by technology available to you in game. Probably then after being shipped to Mars in large cargo ships it is stored in huge warehouses on Mars from which elerium is ditributed to various part of alien empire/union/state ?

Another thing that at some point would be nice as well is something about scale and minor things about Alien state/empire/union. It probably controls other star systems as elerium is definitively mined in other star system, but is Mars its capital ? If yes then why they begin acting against humanity in 1996 ? If Mars is not their capital world, than where is it ? Will destroying main brain on Mars mean that only part of Alien force on Mars is defeated and the rest can come back for second round without holding back any more ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: July 24, 2024, 03:50:47 pm »
I think that you can use X-com apocalypse explanations for elerium - basically it is supposed to be mineral that is mined in different star system that is unreachable by technology available to you in game. Probably then after being shipped to Mars in large cargo ships it is stored in huge warehouses on Mars from which elerium is ditributed to various part of alien empire/union/state ?

Yeah sure, that's indeed canonic, but I meant more in-depth knowledge, like what Elerium actually is and where it came from.

Another thing that at some point would be nice as well is something about scale and minor things about Alien state/empire/union. It probably controls other star systems as elerium is definitively mined in other star system, but is Mars its capital ? If yes then why they begin acting against humanity in 1996 ? If Mars is not their capital world, than where is it ? Will destroying main brain on Mars mean that only part of Alien force on Mars is defeated and the rest can come back for second round without holding back any more ?

I probably should write more about it. It's a delicate matter, though - aliens should remain mysterious; after all, the game is called "UFO: Enemy *Unknown*". ;)
Being a different genre (closer to space opera), Piratez tackles these issues more directly, including describing various extrasolar worlds the Ethereals control.

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: July 24, 2024, 06:22:34 pm »
Yeah sure, that's indeed canonic, but I meant more in-depth knowledge, like what Elerium actually is and where it came from.

I probably should write more about it. It's a delicate matter, though - aliens should remain mysterious; after all, the game is called "UFO: Enemy *Unknown*". ;)
Being a different genre (closer to space opera), Piratez tackles these issues more directly, including describing various extrasolar worlds the Ethereals control.

Well you could probably invent some extensive description of elerium-115 based on what we already know about elerium in-game presently (and its efficiency, even when used as warhead for various missles) and combine it with what we know about Uranium and Moscovium (our atomic number 115 element) but not sure how much it would be interesting for general player.

As for alien empire/state I agree that X-files should be mysterious about it. Origin stories of various races (sectoids, snakeman, mutons etc.) allows players to guess that aliens have access to multiple distant worlds, beyond reach of X-com and humanity, but it would be nice to have extra topic you could squeeze out of ethereals - something like - even if you defeat us, your war is futile, our numbers are limitless and if neccessary our warriors beyond this pitful planet and its star system are capable of erasing it from existence. Generally I don´t need definitive answer about alien empire, as aliens may prove reluctant to divulge such information, even under pressure of torture, only various hints that may unsettle player - what if winning over aliens on mars may bring even darker future for humanity ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: July 25, 2024, 03:16:31 pm »
OK, I'll think about it in time. Thanks!

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: July 26, 2024, 04:30:56 am »
Generally I don´t need definitive answer about alien empire, as aliens may prove reluctant to divulge such information, even under pressure of torture, only various hints that may unsettle player - what if winning over aliens on mars may bring even darker future for humanity ?
No one knows who are aliens and why they came to Earth in 1998.
X-Piratez is more definitive story prolonger and is set up in 2600's, when humanity lost alien invasion war and set up pact with Ethereals. 
Elerium is Sci-Fi crystal which holds Moscovium stable in some Sci-Fi superfield/lattice/who cares (in X-Piratez it has even higher atomic weight number)
Mars is just a base. It has nothing but *some* infrastructure built, not a civilization.
Second round will be in few hundreds of years/millenias in case X-COM wins. But nobody knows that. Exact locations and sizes of the Etherial Galactic subfleets which heads towards solar systems is not covered lore-wise in original game, because it has been inspired by Sci-Fi theories and it was completely different era with no internet and few sources of information. X-COM 1994 is product of different society which was more prone to address to mysticism and supernaturalism. Now add then fresh theories of *atomic islands of stability* with hope for infinite energy sources, spice it with a face on Mars surface and get the spirit of X-COM.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: July 26, 2024, 02:55:02 pm »
[..] aliens have access to multiple distant worlds, beyond reach of X-com and humanity, [..]
Then the next XCOM mod should be about space-faring XCOM. Just like in the ALIENS universe.

XCOM IN SPACE mod

1. Space missions are already available on space stations in existing mods: just make them derelict space ships in deep space.

2. Reactors provide energy in a large XCOM Nest Ship, so XCOM bases in this future mod are now structured as levels 1-9,  of the XCOM: EW base. Research allows you to build new reactors giving you more energy. Trade for resources, purchase new tech are all available from Deep Space Merchant Factions and wandering merchants. Bounty Hunters can join you. Also you can capture anybody and scavenge their ship, sell equipment you don't need and research the hell out of the rest.
Earth GLOBE is replaced by a rotating XCOM nest Mothership model. Aliens attack various parts of this large ship with the usual radar-screened XCOM UFO Combat UI.

3. Missions are threats from space:  alien space pirates. Scout fleet. Medium war fleet. Large alien WAR FLEET.  In the vicinity or jump to destination star system.  Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer space operas as reference.

4. Mining = resource collecting from space scrap and parking the Large XCOM Nest Ship into orbit of planets and mining them, AFTER your researched and built 'PLANETARY SCANNER'

5. Underwater missions: on Ocean-Type planets with surface covered 95% water.  Jump To target star-system with Terror from the Deep maps. Also XCOM ship could be flooded - on purpose - by attacking aliens, there you can have Underwater Base Defense..

6. All kinds of genetically engineered species capturable opening research windows for human Freaks and all kinds of gene-modded advanced human species, artificial hybrids,  clones, or unleash your re-programmed Terminator Robot Battalion VERSUS  invading aliens.

7. Necrons from Warhammer can be found, researched and re-awakened ==> per forking mission paths. Either you destroy the activated Necron or make a sacrifice and entomb it in one of your "bases" = areas of your large XCOM ship and safely study it from there.

8. Demon invasion is easy: wormholes and portals  disgorge etheric Chaos demons from Warhammer Universe  = easily ties into DOOM's Hell on Earth scenario.

9. Tyranids invasion. Research captured Tyranids and develop a Life-Eraser Gun, capable of destroying all Bio-Matter. Thus "End of Tyranids" as final mission of that storyline. Reference: Fall of Malvolion - which is a famous, supremely fun space / planetary invasion short-story in the Warhammer universe

10. Bandits & cults:  either they take over parts of the XCOM Nest Ship or arrive via subterfuge - camouflaged as "space merchants / traders" - and infest your ship.  Also missions - Rescue the Alien Princess - from the clutches of the Evil Cultists become available: given to you by an Alien War Lord. You have to visit a Cultist Planet and do  planet-fall missions there to save the Alien Princess. RISK: the more time you spend near Cult Planets the increased the risk becomes your XCOM Mothership gets infested by Cultist Lurkers = if left alone they quickly develop Rats Nest Cultist bases. By throwing together a Cultist Portal and bringing in more of their brethren...

11. ALIEN THREAT STORYLINE:  when in space, most attackers are alien. A renegade SnakeMan Colony can attack suddenly, "out of nowhere" :).
- Sir! Scanners detected approaching small size warship of Marauder-type, probably SnakeMen, Sir!

The Alien Threat from XCOM 1-2 can be continued in this 'SPACE XCOM' mod by making the alien fleets powerful and they attack the XCOM Mothership early on and cause massive damage. This during a multi-mission storyline. Your Researchers have to come up with a way to repair the jump drive and XCOM barely escapes to an uncharted star system. There you lick your wounds, repair the mothership and start exploring as you discover advanced technologies ==> MASTER OF ORION 1-2 as discoverable technology references

12. Finally with lots of hybrid, Gene-Enhanced soldiers and battalions of Synths and Terminator battle robots.. maybe some Tamed Tyranid Lictors and a few rare Necron units, like the Lokhust Heavy Destroyer serving XCOM now after a nice heavy-reprogramming
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Miniatures:_Necrons
.. you decide to pay a visit to ORION = Seat of the Alien Council and descend upon their Alien Throne and destroy, burn them all this time for GOOD!

End of Movie Happy Scene:

Everyone on Earth is slurping King Cake Vanilla Coffee Lattes and eating buckets of ice-cream, drinking champagne and partying forever...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 05:13:21 pm by mercy »

Offline Kozinsky

• Colonel
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: July 29, 2024, 09:41:22 am »
XCOM IN SPACE mod

I recommend you check out Aurora 4x, a global 4x strategy game about space exploration :)
Almost everything you listed can be realized in this game.
By the way, one of the players continued his X-COM party in this game. You can read his story of further development of X-COM project after the victory on Cydonia here:
XCOM campaign
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 09:52:42 am by Kozinsky »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: July 29, 2024, 03:42:26 pm »
Also you know, X-Com: Interceptor is a thing. ;) (and canon)
There was also X-Com: Alliance, but this project was scrapped by the studio.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: July 29, 2024, 08:20:43 pm »
Seeing the discussion on whether the Tech tree viewer is a cheat, I decided to test whether I could win XCF without the tech tree viewer. I played it before, but I do not remember the tech tree.

At difficulty 4, it is going badly. But after many failed attempts, I have finally destroyed a Red Dawn base. I just had to open with grenade launching. 41 foes slain, 23 surrendered.

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: July 29, 2024, 11:03:07 pm »
Are there any plans for adding garage as base facility you start with instead of hangar (as it makes much more sense to park vans and cars in smaller garage, rather than larger hangars, in which cars look completely ridiculous and waste so much space) ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire
« Reply #6162 on: August 01, 2024, 03:57:04 pm »
Seeing the discussion on whether the Tech tree viewer is a cheat, I decided to test whether I could win XCF without the tech tree viewer. I played it before, but I do not remember the tech tree.

Good luck!

At difficulty 4, it is going badly. But after many failed attempts, I have finally destroyed a Red Dawn base. I just had to open with grenade launching. 41 foes slain, 23 surrendered.

I recommend upgrading to the GitHub version, it has a new feature which may help you... ;)

Are there any plans for adding garage as base facility you start with instead of hangar (as it makes much more sense to park vans and cars in smaller garage, rather than larger hangars, in which cars look completely ridiculous and waste so much space) ?

Once it's available in the engine, yes.

EDIT:
The x-Com Files 3.4 has been released.
- New feature: hiring veteran agents.
- New missions: Data Jockeys, Hybrid Drone Factory.
- New MiB retaliation variants.
- New UFO: MiB Scout Ship.
- New armor variant: Assault Suit with shield (sprites by Brain_322).
- New HWP armor: X-Com Seeker Drone.
- New unit: Wizkid Turret.
- New human and Shadowbat names.
- New Ufopaedia articles and related tech tree adjustments.
- New picture: Terrence Lockhart.
- Added Osiron Fixer armor processing.
- Jumpsuit, Knockout Grenade and Gas Grenade can be bought from BlackOps.
- Gave UAC Doomzone Chaingun to some enemies and made it buyable.
- Changed requirements for EXALT Liquidation.
- Increased chances for the Alien Orbital Station.
- Now you control VIP bodyguards.
- Improved map scripts for caves (thanks to CrazedHarpooner).
- Ethereals are more resistant to Bio.
- Thermal vision on the Night-Ops Suit.
- Flamethrower has the Aimed Shot option.
- AK47 is cheaper.
- Scoped Hunting Rifle doesn't require a Workshop, is faster to make and cheaper to sell.
- Juggernaut requires researching Aqua Plastics.
- Anzug requires less space and time to make.
- Laser Cyberdisc is now blue (it looks nicer).
- Improved Deep One Hatchet sprites (bigob by Brain_322).
- Fixed Prowler Suit's backpack.
- Fixed bonuses on Tasemaster level 5.
- Fixed Seeker Drone Beam damage type.
- Fixed ahistorical Afghanistan flag.
- Fixed Zombie Trooper's paperdoll display.
- Fixed Holodevice article unlock.
- Blocked Ghost Eye's hand slots.
- Fixed some events firing in the first month when they shouldn't.
- Fixed Impossible Internet Intelligence map generation (thanks to CrazedHarpooner).
- Removed some incorrect instances of fearImmune.
- Fixed generic male civilian sprite.
- Minor fixes (thanks to Progger and Osobist).

I would like to hear especially about the new hiring system. Does it help? Or maybe break the pace?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: August 02, 2024, 06:52:44 am »
I would like to hear especially about the new hiring system. Does it help? Or maybe break the pace?

Congrats. Btw please tag the release in Github. It may help for comparisons etc.

In my test SH/IM campaign, in December 1998, I have already obtained 56 veteran agents. So, if you're a good player you get new veteran agents at a pace much greater than you lose them. But of course you're not forced to claim all of them, you can also sell the "recruitment rights". So no problem as such.

The feature certainly makes it faster to replace and train good agents (especially because the stats that are difficult to train are already high). The only downside is you get the PST lottery. But I suppose it's good to have at least some randomness, and maybe this also results in variety of late game transformations (i.e. not everyone gets to be a spartan). (If I was hiring agents at a later part of the game, I'd sack everyone with <50 PST, bad bravery etc.)

For good players the pace for obtaining veterans could be slower so that you would not be end up overflowing with them by getting 4 each month. Say 1-2 veterans per month. But the I recognize this feature is not really meant to help the good players who need little recruitment in the first place but rather the rest.

Potentially you could also get more veterans with lower difficulty levels. But I suppose this mod does not want to vary the content based on difficulty level.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: August 02, 2024, 09:19:59 am »
I'd vote for at least disabling spartans and hires on superhuman  ::).