Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire  (Read 2311628 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire
« Reply #6180 on: August 14, 2024, 07:36:24 pm »
For what it's worth, during my first couple of campaigns I had no idea what "Pintle-Mounted Gun" meant, even after a brief search through the rulesets. Only after watching Stone Lake's streams I figured out you could put for example various machine guns in there.

This could very easily be clarified in the descriptions of HUMVEE and especially LITTLE BIRD.

HUMVEE description includes: "It can be equipped with a variety of heavy infantry weapons to be used for vehicle combat only." -- This is already pretty clear, but you could make it really explicit with, for example, "It can be equipped with a variety of heavy infantry weapons such as machine guns or rocket launchers to be used for vehicle combat only."

AH-6 Little Bird description is very vague:

"This version can carry up to 4 pintle-mounted weapons." -- As said, this is very difficult to understand, and could be rephrased for example as "This version can carry up to 4 pintle-mounted heavy infantry weapons such as machine guns or rocket launchers."

BTW. Speaking of SL streams, also learned of using Gas Mines as the ultimate underwater meta. That has just been removed. Sounds realistic, though to be fair I have no idea if underwater gas could be made to work or not  ::)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 07:41:03 pm by psavola »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6181 on: August 15, 2024, 03:14:46 pm »
I don't understand the problem at all. By clicking on the weapon slot you can easily check what goes there. Why would anything else be needed? Maybe if you have the Little Bird, but not a single heavy weapon, but how likely is that?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: August 15, 2024, 04:10:27 pm »
I don't understand the problem at all. By clicking on the weapon slot you can easily check what goes there. Why would anything else be needed? Maybe if you have the Little Bird, but not a single heavy weapon, but how likely is that?

You could order the craft on a secondary base that has no weapons at all (or only few of them) and you have to transfer/acquire them. Then this method will not work.

This is not unheard of, because at least in my games the primary base hangars are always full and when getting new crafts I either have to get them somewhere else or move out an existing craft. And at least LITTLE BIRD I have usually obtained directly to a secondary base that is close to the cult manor I want to trigger and crush its interception craft.

Offline Whatever

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: August 15, 2024, 05:15:18 pm »

HUMVEE description includes: "It can be equipped with a variety of heavy infantry weapons to be used for vehicle combat only." -- This is already pretty clear, but you could make it really explicit with, for example, "It can be equipped with a variety of heavy infantry weapons such as machine guns or rocket launchers to be used for vehicle combat only."

My confusion may come partly from the fact that this is the first X-COM game I played where vehicle and soldier weapons are not completely separate and mutually-exclusive categories.

You could order the craft on a secondary base that has no weapons at all (or only few of them) and you have to transfer/acquire them. Then this method will not work.

This is not unheard of, because at least in my games the primary base hangars are always full and when getting new crafts I either have to get them somewhere else or move out an existing craft. And at least LITTLE BIRD I have usually obtained directly to a secondary base that is close to the cult manor I want to trigger and crush its interception craft.
My stores were cramped and I sent all the stuff I didn't use at the to a new base that was at that time just for storage.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: August 15, 2024, 05:40:15 pm »

You can only check what goes there if you have it in your stores. When I did my no-Tech-Tree run, I happened on Little Bird first, before getting the Humvee. I bought it, discovered that I could put RPG on it, but it would require Anti-Tank rounds. I did not have those.
At that point, I did not have any machine guns or miniguns in my stores. After a while, I sold the the Little Bird, because it was clearly useless to me. Only later did I buy and use miniguns.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 05:43:31 pm by Mathel »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: August 15, 2024, 08:08:35 pm »
All right, I'll specify it further, as per Psavola's suggestion.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: August 19, 2024, 08:03:28 am »

Is there a new feature that limits the types of engagements that the Humvee could participate in?  I thought that the vehicles could attack anything, including even airplanes and helicopters, as well as UFOs (hypothetically, since there's an issue of matching speeds, but it would work with hunter UFOs most likely).

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: August 19, 2024, 08:26:26 am »
Is there a new feature that limits the types of engagements that the Humvee could participate in?  I thought that the vehicles could attack anything, including even airplanes and helicopters, as well as UFOs (hypothetically, since there's an issue of matching speeds, but it would work with hunter UFOs most likely).

No. While OXC provides for "maxAltitude" (most probably remember this at least from TFTD where you may not be able to dogfight alien subs going "very deep" with barracuda), it is not used in XCF.

I suppose your comment refers to description where "to be used for vehicle combat only" could be read this way, but it is intended just to say that you can't use the HUMVEE pintle-mounted gun on battlescape.

Obviously due to the slow speed many of those dogfights you refer to are actually possible only if the UFO is a hunter-killer and attacks you.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 08:52:49 am by psavola »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: August 25, 2024, 01:18:27 pm »
Yes, a helicopter is a vehicle.

EDIT: Bugfix version 3.4.1 has been released.

- New Cult Outpost map.
- Enemies can use proximity grenades now (with the newest OXCE).
- Info on pintle-mounted weapons in some articles.
- Forbade large units from David Vincent's Secret Shelter.
- Added Jarhead missions to the Temple of Dagon.
- Fixed cavern entry maps to avoid losing equipment.
- Fixed Gas Mine restrictions.
- Fixed Space Suit choke immunity.
- Fixed some Rural map nodes and script.
- Improved Ski Resort map (by CrazedHarpooner).
- Fixed a crash on female AI in Seeker.
- Minor fixes.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: August 26, 2024, 08:57:07 pm »
It's funny when civilians see huge monsters with big claws being shot by armored guys with futuristic weapons and go out of their houses to shake hands with the monsters.
Especially when the monsters are too big to go through doors, so the civilians were completely safe in said houses.

It is annoying, but strangely funny.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: August 26, 2024, 09:55:08 pm »
They believe in Galactic Peace! ;D

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: August 28, 2024, 11:57:11 am »
Can I update to 4.3.1 without corrupting my save files?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: August 28, 2024, 12:52:39 pm »
If you're the Doctor, sure. :P

Otherwise, it's usually wise to do so with a Geoscape save. I don't think there are any drastic changes in 3.4 that would invalidate your game. Unless you're updating from an ancient save, of course.

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: August 31, 2024, 05:22:58 pm »
If you're the Doctor, sure. :P

Otherwise, it's usually wise to do so with a Geoscape save. I don't think there are any drastic changes in 3.4 that would invalidate your game. Unless you're updating from an ancient save, of course.

Thanks! Yeah, makes sense to update while in Geoscape mode.

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: September 08, 2024, 08:31:49 am »
Would like to report a UFOpaedia bug.  Huge Storage Facility says it needs 150 Tritanium.  There's no such thing; it ought to say 150 Alien Alloys.

Apologies if this has already been reported (my X-Com Files version is several months old now).