Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007860 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.1: Lights in The Sky
« Reply #5760 on: November 22, 2023, 02:55:53 am »
oh alright, didn't know it had such kind of damage

Is this too late to recover from? I have not wasted time with other things, I have 15 scientiests and have quite good progress with the research I can do, got bored enough to research alien containment (sadly too late for a military shot down ufo mission but I lost barely anyway because I Could only reach it with a car... was really hoping for that cash boost but I told myself no reloading! died to the last alien and a panic that ran the other guy into the alien)

You should fine. You'll have other chances to get cult members. Early missions for cults are recurring and allow failures. Just minimize casualties.

Note: Here are some of my game notes over the past year or so. There's some spoilers here but it will help you figure out who you looking for.

Spoiler:
Early game 1.0:
Cult apprehensions.
Strange life forms.
Crop circles.
Cattle mutations.

Cult apprehensions will hopefully lead to the successful capture of lower ranking gang members of each cult. These missions have one cult member per mission. If you fail to capture cult members alive to interrogate them don’t worry this will be a reoccurring mission allowing you several chances to capture one alive.
Researching these lower ranking cult members will pop research for each of the 4 cults. The following is a list of lower ranking cult members and their respective cults.

Red Dawn- Red Dawn ganger
Black Lotus- Black Lotus follower
Church Of Dagon- Supporter of Dagon
Exalt- Exalt infiltrator

------------------------------------------------------------------

Early game 1.1:
Cult Safehouses.
Cult Outposts.
Soul harvest.
Spiders Nest.

Once you have researched a cult you will open up research for each cult's “Network”. You’ll also begin having “Safe Houses” missions. These are small storage shacks lightly guarded by lower to mid ranked cult members. Your best strategy here is to capture a mid ranking cult member from each cult. The following list a list of mid ranking cult members and their respective cults.

Red Dawn- Red Dawn lad or Red Dawn Pioneer
Black Lotus- Black Lotus assassin or Black Lotus Footman
Church Of Dagon- Disciple of Dagon, Priest of Dagon
Exalt- Exalt Goon or Exalt Enforcer

------------------------------------------------------

Early game 1.2:

To terminate a cult you must capture and interrogate cult leaders. Most leaders can be found on Cult Forward missions (and HQ). These are mini bases with loads of heavily trained cult members. Below is a list of higher ranking cult leaders.

Red Dawn- Red Ops Soldier And Red Dawn Coordinator
Black Lotus- Black Lotus Witch and Black Lotus Avatar
Church Of Dagon- Chosen of Dagon And Sorcerer of Dagon
Exalt- Exalt Goon or Exalt Master And Exalt Brainer

« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 01:58:22 pm by Chuckebaby »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: November 22, 2023, 05:40:22 am »
btw it is august 1997 and I am still promotion I
Latest campaign, I got Promo II in nov 97. It's not too late, but with some RNG you may get barraged with a lot of manors, like I did, I'm counting 12 manors around jun 98. Clearing out manors is now about half by playtime, so... it can be reasonable to restart here, and try to end cults faster. But that's only if you get bad manor RNG. They aren't impossible or too hard to beat, just a slog to get through.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 06:35:40 am by Stone Lake »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: November 22, 2023, 05:21:35 pm »
Is this too late to recover from? I have not wasted time with other things, I have 15 scientiests and have quite good progress with the research I can do, got bored enough to research alien containment (sadly too late for a military shot down ufo mission but I lost barely anyway because I Could only reach it with a car... was really hoping for that cash boost but I told myself no reloading! died to the last alien and a panic that ran the other guy into the alien)

There is almost zero chance of being able to deal with military-shot-down UFO with a car (or van) without major save scumming or extreme luck. Or most other missions for that matter, especially in higher difficulty levels. Even helicopter can be risky, and I'd rather prefer the osprey. But you can get helicopter before you get all the cult networks, so part of your pain is self-inflicted for ignoring obtaining better transport.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: November 25, 2023, 12:39:37 pm »
Please explain. I defeated the syndicate, and I received a package with spartanism. I looked at the database a bit, and found that the chance of unpacking spartanism from the packege is 25%. Does this mean that I am very lucky, or am I wrong and spartanism is a guaranteed reward for defeating the syndicate?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: November 25, 2023, 01:40:23 pm »
Please explain. I defeated the syndicate, and I received a package with spartanism. I looked at the database a bit, and found that the chance of unpacking spartanism from the packege is 25%. Does this mean that I am very lucky, or am I wrong and spartanism is a guaranteed reward for defeating the syndicate?

No, you always get spartanism from researching the parcel. You're confusing this with the monthly chance to receive the parcel after defeating the syndicate, which is 25 %:

- type: STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL
    eventWeights:
      0:
        STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL: 100
    researchTriggers:
       STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_DECRYPTED: true
       STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL_RECEIVED: false
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 25

- name: STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL
    cost: 3
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true
    lookup: STR_SPARTANISM
    dependencies:
      - STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_DECRYPTED

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: November 25, 2023, 02:09:54 pm »
No, you always get spartanism from researching the parcel. You're confusing this with the monthly chance to receive the parcel after defeating the syndicate, which is 25 %:

- type: STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL
    eventWeights:
      0:
        STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL: 100
    researchTriggers:
       STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_DECRYPTED: true
       STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL_RECEIVED: false
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 25

- name: STR_SYNDICATE_MYSTERIOUS_PARCEL
    cost: 3
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true
    lookup: STR_SPARTANISM
    dependencies:
      - STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_DECRYPTED

This means that sooner or later, but the package with spartanism will be a reward for the defeated syndicate.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: November 25, 2023, 03:00:20 pm »
This means that sooner or later, but the package with spartanism will be a reward for the defeated syndicate.

Yes. The chance is so low that sometimes this takes very long time (in my recent campaign, over 6 months) to get the reward. This seems a bit unfair, but it's up to SS to fix. It would be trivial to raise the odds to say, 50 or 70%.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 09:48:04 pm by psavola »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: November 25, 2023, 09:42:04 pm »
Yes. The chance is so slow that sometimes this takes very long time (in my recent campaign, over 6 months) to get the reward. This seems a bit unfair, but it's up to SS to fix. It would be trivial to raise the odds to say, 50 or 70%.
Before that, I would remove the 40 od bonus for spartanism. This breaks the game very much.

Or change the penalty to psi strength. That would be more interesting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 09:44:37 pm by Akamashi »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.4: Flesh and Circuitry
« Reply #5768 on: November 28, 2023, 06:33:32 am »
I would still like to reduce the number of aliens. I don't really understand how it all works, I need examples. To understand the editing of what affects precisely the high complexity. I'm afraid to ruin everything. Can you please write an example, the difficulty is impossible, the mission is to storm the alien base, it says 50 such aliens, change it to 40. Or something like that? I really would be very grateful.

Hey Zhorov

I know this is an old post, not sure how often people check in, but I wanted to say my two bits for you or anyone else coming across this thread:

Although I like to play at an easier difficulty level than super human, I found this guide for playing super human very helpful!
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::)  :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,11579.0.html

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: November 30, 2023, 12:31:00 am »
How many engineers should one have per workshop? I never understood how it works

If I have 2 workshops how many engineers should I have

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: November 30, 2023, 12:42:34 am »
Also how does one use psiclones? I don't understand what I'm looking at when reading it's stats or extra info

Does it give an innate bonus like the description implies?

Also, what is the best defense against ghosts? I think I might have asked this before, but I always lose troops like crazy to ghosts and not sure what can give better protection or how to mitigate it

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: November 30, 2023, 01:17:03 am »
Psiclones don't give any kind of stat bonus - I'm not sure this would even be possible right now, even with y-scripts.

What they do is serve as a really crappy stun rod with a panic effect. The panic hit is pretty strong if you have psionically gifted agent, but usually just once per turn and at melee range, so not terribly useful, even with the stun rider.

The best defence against ghosts is offense. Psi weapons tend to go through armour like a knife through butter, and poltergeists can be dangerous during missions where you can't wear any kind of strong armour. You might get a little bit of defence by wearing excessively thick armour - but even then, the effect is marginal (10%) to none (0%).

As to workshops, I generally remove the space limits myself, so my answer would be "as many as you can cram in there". With limits, I would guess perhaps 80-90% of full capacity, depending on what you're manufacturing most often. Do note that your workshop capacity is not limited to just workshops (hangars are the big extra contributor), so you might want to fill the two workshops to 100 and have a few hangars' worth of extra space. OTOH, I tend to play a very altered manufacturing game, so take all this with a big grain of salt. :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 01:19:59 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: November 30, 2023, 01:28:41 am »
what is the best defense against ghosts? I think I might have asked this before, but I always lose troops like crazy

Scout drones or dogs to snuff out their locations. Don't underestimate the power of dogs. I've lost tons of them. They are indispensable yet also disposal compared to a soldier with good stats.
They have high Time units. Use them to your advantage.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 01:31:10 am by Chuckebaby »

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: November 30, 2023, 08:41:14 am »
Okay thanks all for advice, so I should get 50 engineers for a workshop then ? So expensive ! Lol

I did not know hangers contributed to work space, does this only occur when they are empty? That must be why I was confused, about running out of work space

Thajks for top about dogs, it is my second attempt at this mod, first playthroigh I never used dogs but now I'm doing mostly missions at night and I really like them now. 2 in front with a incendiary grenade in case they die, or a high explosive.. they are much more useful than a rookie!

Btw, if dog has a primed Explosive, and they die on  opponents turn, what prime # should I set it to if I want it to explode at the end of my turn? (So I have time to run away if they get shot near my troops on opponents turn)

Also if I want it to explode at the beginning of my next turn, (setting it down on my turn) what do I set it to?

---

I wanted to try the xcom Rats too but getting 10 for a farm is not easy! Btw on my first playthrough I tamed some kind of Minotaur but nothing really happened after i researched it/manufactured. Is it possible to get a Minotaur?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: November 30, 2023, 09:08:11 am »
Come back and complain when you need to staff multiple three-large-workshop bases. Your current woes are nothing compared to what I inflict on myself. :D

Hangars just contribute workshop space, empty or not empty.

Given that primers start counting down from the moment you set them, unless you re-prime your dogs every turn, there's not much you can do to achieve that grace period. Suicide dogs explode when killed, that's how it is.

If you do have the time to fiddle, 0 is the end of your turn, 1 is the end of enemy turn, 2 is the end of your next turn, etc. But the timers are always counting (unless you use 'fuseTriggerEvents', but sadly there's no trigger for 'the one carrying me died'). Proxies or land mines might do something more like you want.

Minotaurs are base defences in a box. So you only get them when you get attacked in your own place, and they might be a little fiddly even then.