Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007991 times)

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.0: Beyond Human
« Reply #5325 on: July 26, 2023, 05:34:22 pm »
I don't understand. You can't use the "armors" section for this?
Yes, that's how I remove armor. How to remove a weapon? This is about human agents.
Perhaps you mean that in this way you can choose equipment for dogs? But it doesn't work either...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:48:10 pm by Fiskun1 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5326 on: July 26, 2023, 05:52:39 pm »
Yes, that's how I remove armor. How to remove a weapon?

Ah, okay, I get it now.

You can go to the Agents menu and press "I". I checked, and one of my wounded agents can be accessed, but another cannot...

But why would you want to remove the weapon in the first place?

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: July 26, 2023, 06:21:20 pm »
Thanks, I'll try.
And why should a wounded soldier keep a valuable barrel under the bed in the infirmary for two weeks? :)

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: July 26, 2023, 09:27:26 pm »
I'm 95% sure that wounded soldiers automatically put their inventory in the base inventory.

Offline grayboney

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: July 27, 2023, 11:08:24 am »
In spite of writing you at the first time, I have played this mod for more than 100 - 200 hours and really enjoyed it. In the last time, I reached the furthest I could get compared to my previous attempts. I played until the end of 1999 and would like to share my some experiences and recommendations.

Many missions are based on your previous experience you had. When that's confornted at first time, it  can make you unprepared and brief are not enough for taking an action. For example in my Red Dawn HQ experience, I didn't know I need rocket launcher to destroy armored cars.

More tooltips would be very helpful to understand the game logic better. It can be added at geoscape randomly as a hint:
For example: "Beware approching melee attacks, some aliens can have suidial attacks when they perish." OR

Some creatures don't have bioextraction at all. For example asmodean cobras and their corpse is worthless but selling it. Bat and rat bioextraction can be disabled because I unintentionally bioextracted 6 live shadowbats; my intention was to make them X-bat and use them in the missions. Instead of bioextracting bats and rats, worthless corpses like cobras can be added to bioextraction.

Let's come to my most annoying experiences. Actually I have three of them.

FIRST ONE:
Before the invasion (december 98 I think) I had a base attack. And more strange point is not only getting attacked by aliens but also alien type. Alien type who they attack are not sectoids, snakemen or floaters. THEY WERE MUTONS. I am not sure it's normal that they came that early. I managed to beat them in a miraculous way thanks to my defensive base layout and awesome psi weapon thanotanutian manus.

SECOND ONE:
I planned to attack golden academy osiron base. And the same annoying reinforcement system we have already experienced in the cult manors triggered. But that was by far worse. Normally reinforcements come in the sides and back but this time 7-8 of them spawned suddenly at my green spawn points without giving any warning. While I was surrounding the bulding, those spawned soldiers shot from back and ruined my mission without giving any warning. In my opinion these reinforcements are not only overwhellming but also bullshit. Because it's not possiblle for x-com squad to be unnoticed until they reach my spawn point that close. It  should be really fixed; my suggestion either to make a reinforcement alert and make them 0 tu and be active next turn or make them full tu but be active for next turn (like first turn for enemies)

THIRD ONE:
I have dreamscape mission. I have read the briefing so I placed the first strongest unit to top list for going the mission. But game selected it randomly and put a x-rat into mission instead of my considering soldier. After mission is failed, my craft is gone as well. Briefing notices were not enough to be aware of that.

I summarized my highlight experiences below. I hope it can be worthy of your considerations. Also, I wıould like to thank you all team who contributed to create this outstanding mod. Even if they have some defect (it is inevitable to have them while the game complexity is huge), I am really  having fun to play it.  Last question: when ghost mission lines will be finished? (having haunted farm and haunted mission without any progress can be after having some advancement in the game)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:19:44 am by grayboney »

Offline oldxcomfan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: July 27, 2023, 11:49:22 am »
Hello
First, thank you for this excellent mod, l’m enjoying my game on it a lot
But i have a misunderstanding about armors
I'm fighting the MIB for now, managed to capture a power suit guy and a shock trooper, i researched both power suit and shock trooper adaptation and got one of each in my base. But I'm far from being able to manufacture them
My question is: I can equip the power suit in mission, but not the shock armor, what did I miss ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: July 27, 2023, 12:30:47 pm »
I'm 95% sure that wounded soldiers automatically put their inventory in the base inventory.

Yes, they won't prevent other soldiers from taking their stuff if they share it.

In spite of writing you at the first time, I have played this mod for more than 100 - 200 hours and really enjoyed it. In the last time, I reached the furthest I could get compared to my previous attempts. I played until the end of 1999 and would like to share my some experiences and recommendations.

I'm happy to hear that!

Many missions are based on your previous experience you had. When that's confornted at first time, it  can make you unprepared and brief are not enough for taking an action. For example in my Red Dawn HQ experience, I didn't know I need rocket launcher to destroy armored cars.

But you don't! There are many different ways to deal with armoured cars: rockets, sniper rifles, high caliber cannons/machine guns, explosives, incendiaries, probably even some melee weapons.
Contrast with my experience when playing Piratez, when I encountered the humanist tank for the first time. Nothing worked: not rockets, not lasers, not heavy melee which normally kills anything, etc. This tank requires specific anti-tank rockets which I didn't have at the time. I threw a tantrum and called bullshit, had an argument with Dioxine about balance... This led to adding a new, earlier mission with this tank to give you the opportunity to meet it on easier terms.
Killing the Armoured Car is a cakewalk by comparison and doesn't need any handholding. If this was a non-retreat mission, it wouild be different, but it's not, so you can just GTFO as usual.

More tooltips would be very helpful to understand the game logic better. It can be added at geoscape randomly as a hint:
For example: "Beware approching melee attacks, some aliens can have suidial attacks when they perish."

I'm not against such hints in general, but this one looks like something you're supposed to discuver by experience. Why on Earth would anyone tell you that? How would they know how aliens fight?

OR
Some creatures don't have bioextraction at all. For example asmodean cobras and their corpse is worthless but selling it. Bat and rat bioextraction can be disabled because I unintentionally bioextracted 6 live shadowbats; my intention was to make them X-bat and use them in the missions. Instead of bioextracting bats and rats, worthless corpses like cobras can be added to bioextraction.

...I don't understand, you clicked on the wrong manufacturing project or what?

Before the invasion (december 98 I think) I had a base attack. And more strange point is not only getting attacked by aliens but also alien type. Alien type who they attack are not sectoids, snakemen or floaters. THEY WERE MUTONS. I am not sure it's normal that they came that early. I managed to beat them in a miraculous way thanks to my defensive base layout and awesome psi weapon thanotanutian manus.

No, it's not normal. Either you managed to shoot down a Muton UFO (I don't really believe this, but hey, strange things happen) or you are using some submod which does such things.

I planned to attack golden academy osiron base. And the same annoying reinforcement system we have already experienced in the cult manors triggered. But that was by far worse. Normally reinforcements come in the sides and back but this time 7-8 of them spawned suddenly at my green spawn points without giving any warning. While I was surrounding the bulding, those spawned soldiers shot from back and ruined my mission without giving any warning. In my opinion these reinforcements are not only overwhellming but also bullshit. Because it's not possiblle for x-com squad to be unnoticed until they reach my spawn point that close. It  should be really fixed; my suggestion either to make a reinforcement alert and make them 0 tu and be active next turn or make them full tu but be active for next turn (like first turn for enemies)

The Tower is a special case, it's more dangerous and should be harder. If it's too hard, well, it happens all the time to me as well - run away.
Well, I could disable the wave which comes from your side, if it doesn't make much sense... But it all depends on where your units are. They could just as well be near the western border at the moment, and then you could say the wave from the west also makes no sense, since it would have been spotted.
But I need to point out that the minimum distance for reinforcements to appear on these missions is 10 tiles from the nearest X-Com unit. So this means that they can be cxontrolled by placing your units more strategically. I hope this is satisfactory. (Maybe should be in the field manual; I'll add an article.)

I have dreamscape mission. I have read the briefing so I placed the first strongest unit to top list for going the mission. But game selected it randomly and put a x-rat into mission instead of my considering soldier. After mission is failed, my craft is gone as well. Briefing notices were not enough to be aware of that.

Should always be your top unit. But why have you even sent more than 1 person? I don't understand.

I summarized my highlight experiences below. I hope it can be worthy of your considerations. Also, I wıould like to thank you all team who contributed to create this outstanding mod. Even if they have some defect (it is inevitable to have them while the game complexity is huge), I am really  having fun to play it.  Last question: when ghost mission lines will be finished? (having haunted farm and haunted mission without any progress can be after having some advancement in the game)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope I gave a satisfactory answer.

As for the ghost arc, this is a major project and will take a long time. Right now there is no logical point which would justify disabling such missions.

Hello
First, thank you for this excellent mod, l’m enjoying my game on it a lot

Hi! I'm an old X-Com fan too. :)

But i have a misunderstanding about armors
I'm fighting the MIB for now, managed to capture a power suit guy and a shock trooper, i researched both power suit and shock trooper adaptation and got one of each in my base. But I'm far from being able to manufacture them
My question is: I can equip the power suit in mission, but not the shock armor, what did I miss ?

The shock armour is only available to Kyberi, as it requires advanced cybernetic interfacing. No other type of agent can use them.

Offline oldxcomfan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: July 27, 2023, 12:49:09 pm »
The shock armour is only available to Kyberi, as it requires advanced cybernetic interfacing. No other type of agent can use them.
I guess I'm far from this point in my game since I don't know what "kyberi" is
I'm gonna keep them in my dump base then, thanks for the answer

Offline sirmik

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: July 27, 2023, 01:11:47 pm »
Yes, they won't prevent other soldiers from taking their stuff if they share it.

No, it's not normal. Either you managed to shoot down a Muton UFO (I don't really believe this, but hey, strange things happen) or you are using some submod which does such things.

I have the same problem. Before the invasion (middle of 98), the "sentry ship" attack as I checked in the save code. Then in the first months of 99 another two - one base lost. Maybe it's a submod issue ( XCom Files Arsenal Additions)? I don't use any other than the recommended resound

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: July 27, 2023, 02:51:34 pm »
Maybe it's a submod issue ( XCom Files Arsenal Additions)?

Most likely; I don't know exactly what it does, but I've heard of similar issues with it.

Offline oldxcomfan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: July 27, 2023, 03:31:49 pm »
I guess i didn't have only one question  ;D
What's the meaning of this PSI icon when playing an hybrid agent (with 0 PSK) ?

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: July 27, 2023, 05:41:44 pm »
Hybrids have built-in psy attacks. This icon allows you to use those attacks by clicking it. (Like the dogs built-in mouvement sensor.)
But without psy skill unlocked, those will be extremely weak.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: July 27, 2023, 06:20:48 pm »
Hybrids have built-in psy attacks. This icon allows you to use those attacks by clicking it.

This. Might I ask if you've actually tried clicking the icon before asking the question? Becasue I am kind of baffled by question like like this. Are people afraid they might break something by clicking on icons?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: July 27, 2023, 07:02:13 pm »
If the agent has no psi skill, I have never managed to make this natural psi attack work on even the weakest enemy. So, appearances to the contrary, this icon can indeed be somewhat misleading. Don't think there's a way to remove the icon, though. Unless there's something in Y-scripts that allows you to modify built-in weapons that I'm not aware of.

Good news is that as soon as you unlock psi labs, those Hybrids will find their inner Force really fast.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 07:05:30 pm by Juku121 »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: July 27, 2023, 07:02:45 pm »
To be fair, at least until the alien hybrid has PSI skill, clicking on the top-right icon does nothing.