Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952077 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.8: The Lunar Protocol
« Reply #5085 on: February 18, 2023, 12:49:42 am »
Just a small remark, but floaters come in a range of other exciting colors beside ... and red.
I'm aware. I think I was the one who inspired Solarius to port over the original versions of coloured Floaters and Snakemen in the first place. ;D

But red Floaters specifically are sometimes hard to tell apart from the regular purple ones. The rest are fine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:51:15 am by Juku121 »

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: February 18, 2023, 12:32:06 pm »
the other variant?

I guess you would have no idea that these might be different units either?
No, not really. They look about the same to me.

This might shock you but not everyone here is a young man with good eyesight.

I had to spend several minutes staring at those images before I noticed that one of them has a different color in one small area. And I only noticed it because I knew that I was supposed to be looking for something so I spent time looking for it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:40:53 pm by PPQ »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: February 18, 2023, 03:46:31 pm »
I don't think I can be called young any more, and good eyesight has never been a virtue of mine. I could still tell that the Merc Captains were different from regular Mercs even when I first ran into their tiny sprite form.

If you indeed spent literal minutes looking for the difference in the bigger inventory images, then I think your accessibility issues are vastly different from most others'. And catering to those means any visual subtlety at all would have to be left out of the mod.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: February 18, 2023, 04:25:33 pm »
I had to spend several minutes staring at those images before I noticed that one of them has a different color in one small area. And I only noticed it because I knew that I was supposed to be looking for something so I spent time looking for it.

Might I ask what desktop resolution you're using and if you're also using said resolution for OXCE? Also, have you considered consulting an ophthalmologist? Because as Juku pointed out, this sounds like your accessibility issues might have other reasons.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: February 18, 2023, 06:21:43 pm »
Might I ask what desktop resolution you're using and if you're also using said resolution for OXCE? Also, have you considered consulting an ophthalmologist? Because as Juku pointed out, this sounds like your accessibility issues might have other reasons.
1920x1080 obviously. But it's not an issue of size. I see the images plenty well. They are about the same size on my monitor as they are in that file you attached which is good enough to spot differences if and when I know what I am looking for.

But that's the key here. You need to know what you are looking for and indeed that you are supposed to be looking for something in the first place. And if the only differences are small details tht can only be seen from one angle there is nothing to even tell me I am supposed to be looking for differences.

If it was up to me I'd have big obvious differences like capes, different colors of helmets or shoulderpads etc. You know, big obvious things that immediately catch your attention.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: February 18, 2023, 06:52:08 pm »
But that's the key here. You need to know what you are looking for and indeed that you are supposed to be looking for something in the first place. And if the only differences are small details tht can only be seen from one angle there is nothing to even tell me I am supposed to be looking for differences.

If it was up to me I'd have big obvious differences like capes, different colors of helmets or shoulderpads etc. You know, big obvious things that immediately catch your attention.

But they can be seen from every angle. You just have to look at the unit disaply - which oyu would do anyway if you want to know what weapon they are carrying. And I think making them even more obvious would actually detract from the game. There's a reason that real-world security and military has no such obvious rank indicators.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:54:51 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: February 18, 2023, 09:21:23 pm »
I like the color variants just fine. Helps me different who I need to stun after as needed, once I knew what colors were associated with what race/rank type. And the government thinks officially I have red/green color blindness + ophthalmologist says I have stigmatism developing in my R eye.

Offline Maeroth

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: February 19, 2023, 05:34:33 pm »
Hi, after trying version 2.8, here is what needs to be fixed:

-When I try to modify the appearance of a soldier, only 12 heads appear instead of the 72 that should be.

-craft:
ARROW
radarChance: 100
SKYRANGER
costBuy: 0
SKYRAIDER
radarChance: 100
INTERCEPTOR
costRent: 600000
costSell: 285000
[HEAVY_MISSILES]
DIMENSION_X_LANDING_PAD
soldiers: 1 (deployment: 24 slots)

missionScripts:
- type: MonsterHunSeveraCold2
not Several?

- type: hybridCloningFarmLate
STR_HYBRID_STORAGE: 100
not hybridStorageLate?

Great mod, I hope it continues to be successful.

Offline lirukdatan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: February 19, 2023, 06:19:46 pm »
I have several questions:

I've noticed that the large living quarters is designated as prison type 4, and has 5 such slots (with prison cells being #1, animal pen #2, ghost tank #3, and alien containment I assume is designated as zero). Who's type #4 then?

Also, are Master of {x} or Bane of {x} medals cumulative? Do their bonuses stack? Or is it better to have one level of each?
Oh and what are the requirements for the "commended" medal?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: February 19, 2023, 08:12:13 pm »
Edit:
I can add more categories, but what exactly should be separated?
I gave it a brief try, and liked something along these lines quite a bit:
  • HWPs.
  • [Enemies & Allies]
  • [Outfits]
  • Unarmed as its own category or moved to Outfits.
  • Weapons.
  • Explosives.
  • Melee weapons, thrown, crossbows, etc.
  • Tools and equipment. Pickaxes, cutters, staplers etc can perhaps be moved here as well.
  • Alien artifacts. Actual alien ones, that is.
  • Strange artifacts. Stuff from cults, other conspiracies (like Cyberweb guns or Shogg tribal weapons), Hybrids, etc.
  • Misc items. All the IDs, floppies, bones, cash, etc.
  • [Containers]

It's a major pain to rejiggle the IDs, though. :(
/edit

Who's type #4 then?
Robots.

Also, are Master of {x} or Bane of {x} medals cumulative? Do their bonuses stack?
Big time. ;D

Oh and what are the requirements for the "commended" medal?
"Total score earned by the soldier." Not sure what it actually means. Sum of scores from all missions they've participated in?

Edit2: Reply to Maeroth moved to bug thread.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:48:46 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Maeroth

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: February 19, 2023, 08:26:33 pm »
Not a mod issue. Upgrade to OXCE 7.8.7 or later.

I think it's a bug, i have OXCE 7.8 and I can only change 12 aspects of the 72 that exist.

I have only copied the rest of the opinions of other players who have tried this new version and have downloaded it from mod io.

I don't think chasing after small technical details that have zero impact on gameplay is a good use of Solarius' time.

If you say so, it will be so. I've only come to report bugs that didn't happen before with previous versions, but if that doesn't deserve the modder's attention, fine. I see what the opinion of someone who is playing the mod counts.
What a community, I will not write anything here again.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: February 19, 2023, 08:55:06 pm »
I think it's a bug, i have OXCE 7.8 and I can only change 12 aspects of the 72 that exist.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the official download & installation guide post there is a section that says:
"Looking for bleeding edge OXCE nightly preview builds? Try here: https://lxnt.wtf/oxem/#/Extended"

That is where you can find version 7.8.7 of OXCE which from what I've read should correct the bug you are experiencing.

The version on mod.io is only V7.8 not 7.8.7. The newer 7.8.7 I believe can only be obtained currently from this location: https://lxnt.wtf/oxem/#/Extended
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:57:39 pm by The Martian »

Offline lirukdatan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: February 19, 2023, 10:09:53 pm »
Also, are Master of {x} or Bane of {x} medals cumulative? Do their bonuses stack?

Big time. ;D

I am asking because after one of my agents improved his "master of grenade" to level 3 after a mission, I noticed he actually lost 1 point in melee and throwing accuracy skills. He already had mastery of a different weapon at level 3, so it looks like the bonus didn't stack. Not that I mind, there's plenty of stats to go around with all the cool medals and achievements. Just wanted to make sure I understand the mechanics.

(I've attached a screenshot of the agent's stats, and here's a link as well)

https://imgur.com/a/0Mw0Yxo

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: February 19, 2023, 10:21:48 pm »
Kinda hard to say what's going on with Mr. Rojas without a save.

Edit: Actually, he seems to have lost a level 2 Master of ... commendation. Or improved a level 2 and lost a level 3. Which matches up with one less Throwing and Melee.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 10:48:46 pm by Juku121 »

Offline lirukdatan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: February 20, 2023, 12:26:50 am »
Kinda hard to say what's going on with Mr. Rojas without a save.

Edit: Actually, he seems to have lost a level 2 Master of ... commendation. Or improved a level 2 and lost a level 3. Which matches up with one less Throwing and Melee.

That's what I'm saying. An agent has several weapons at "master of" at level 3. He improved a weapon from 2 to 3. This resulted in no "master of" at level 2, and one more at level 3. This also resulted in loss of stat due to the loss of "master of" at level 2.

So these commendations are not cumulative?

In order to get the most of it, I assume that an agent should therefore have one of each rank by stopping using different weapons at 15, 25, 40, 60, 80, 100, 150 etc.