Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949923 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.5: Silent Run
« Reply #4590 on: June 10, 2022, 06:42:33 pm »
Is it possible to somehow add a Zephyr serum to XPiratez? Maybe you can somehow add such an opportunity to another drug to restore tu?
Then this isn't a request for XCF  but for X-Pirates, is it? Why not post it in the X-Pirates forum?

And I want to add to another wonderful mod that I started to replay. I don't understand almost anything in modding, I will be grateful if you help me.
Why not use this as an opportunity to learn a bit about modding then? Adding an item is one of the easier things to do, and you've already identified the script you need to tie to the item. All you need is the {url=https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)]ruleset reference[/url] (don't be intimidated, strictly speaking you only need the item and sprites section for this). You don't need any new assets and you can pretty much work trrough this "backwards" from the existing entries in XCF. Simply use the entries for the serum in XCF as a template/example for what's needed in X-Pirates.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 10, 2022, 08:30:21 pm »
An interesting situation I found. The Dagonites are apparently keeping the Deep Ones Gillmen in a pen, and there's a meat locker nearby, with some suspicious offerings inside. Is this for the Gillmen? From the Gillmen? :o

There is also a Priest together with a younger acolyte in there, pretending they don't know each other now that the door is open. ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 08:32:47 pm by Juku121 »

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 11, 2022, 01:03:13 pm »
Then this isn't a request for XCF  but for X-Pirates, is it? Why not post it in the X-Pirates forum?
Why not use this as an opportunity to learn a bit about modding then? Adding an item is one of the easier things to do, and you've already identified the script you need to tie to the item. All you need is the {url=https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)]ruleset reference[/url] (don't be intimidated, strictly speaking you only need the item and sprites section for this). You don't need any new assets and you can pretty much work trrough this "backwards" from the existing entries in XCF. Simply use the entries for the serum in XCF as a template/example for what's needed in X-Pirates.
Asked but received no response yet. There are still more people sitting here, and it seems to me that this will help me solve the problem.
I study the wiki, but after 4 hours I still have not achieved anything what i need. This is the first game where I've tried something to edit, add, change. I'm 18, I played the new xcoms, but only after playing the original and mods did I understand what real freedom of action is, and not a rail shooter.
For some reason no one added this except the creator of this mod, and this thing really makes you try to get it and not use it like other things. But why? There are many items that give energy, morale, mana, even health but not time? Why not add a few items that would give a little time and not be so valuable? This is the question I think about a lot. Why not add pills or serum that would give 20 times. 6-10 to drag to hand and 1 to use. There would be 13-9 left that would be enough to use the first aid kit or simply leave the aisle. It's simple, isn't it? It should also be interesting and varied. But I saw it only in x-files and only 1 time. I want to fix this, at least for myself anyway, but I hope the developers read it and think about it too.
I understand best in examples. If you wrote me an example, I would be very grateful. There are 2 problems:
1) The subject should give time (tu). (Editing a simple script with an item on that one does not give anything, you need a script that most likely needs to be written in the ruleset script. The script itself is there, but for some reason I can’t use it from the second problem)
2) It crashes if I add some line to the steering wheel. Probably any moderator knows that something needs to be edited, but I'm still stupid about it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 11, 2022, 03:06:51 pm »
Asked but received no response yet. There are still more people sitting here, and it seems to me that this will help me solve the problem.
If you've received no reply in the x-piratez subforum it's unliekly that anbody here will bother to write a complete submod for you.

The wiki alone isn't going to help, but you will probably need it in order to understand what it is you're modifying and what definitions you need. Don't start with the wiki, use it alongside the existing rulefiles. You've already identified the script (or at least parts of it and know what tag is attached to the item. You can use this to work your backward through the definitions to understand how this works. The item in question (found in item_XCOMFILES.rul) is STR_ZEPHYR_SERUM and the script is linked to this item via the
Code: [Select]
    tags:
      WM_IS_WACKY: 1
entry at the end of the entry for said item.

The isolated script you need is (though you can remove the comments if you like):

extended:
  tags:

RuleItem:
      WM_IS_WACKY: int

scripts:
    healUnit:

- offset: 50
        #*** Stat boosting ***
        code: |
          var int temp;

item.getTag temp Tag.WM_IS_WACKY;

if neq temp 0;
            # debug_log "healUnit: applying wacky medikit, skip normal effects completely";
            set medikit_action_type 0;

target.getTimeUnits temp;
            add temp 55;
            target.setTimeUnits temp;

target.getEnergy temp;
            add temp 60;
            target.setEnergy temp;

return;
          end;

# debug_log "healUnit: not wacky...";
          return;

Put this in a separate rul file (best practice would be to call it scripts.rul or something similar). You can use this along with the other defintions you need in a dedicated submod. For (sub-)mod definitions look at the metadata.yml in the base directory of the x-piratez sub-mods (for example the czech name mod). This will involve some trial&error work on your side if you want to learn and understand how to mod, no two ways about this. And yes, the best thing would be to put this in a submod so you don't mess up the mod itself.

All of this is plaintext. You should be able to work your way throught this if this is indeed something you "need".

If you need further help you're better off asking in the dedicated modding help subforum:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html

This isn't really the place for this.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:39:04 pm by krautbernd »

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 11, 2022, 07:22:41 pm »
If you've received no reply in the x-piratez subforum it's unliekly that anbody here will bother to write a complete submod for you.

The wiki alone isn't going to help, but you will probably need it in order to understand what it is you're modifying and what definitions you need. Don't start with the wiki, use it alongside the existing rulefiles. You've already identified the script (or at least parts of it and know what tag is attached to the item. You can use this to work your backward through the definitions to understand how this works. The item in question (found in item_XCOMFILES.rul) is STR_ZEPHYR_SERUM and the script is linked to this item via the
    tags:
      WM_IS_WACKY: 1
entry at the end of the entry for said item.

The isolated script you need is (though you can remove the comments if you like):

extended:
  tags:

RuleItem:
      WM_IS_WACKY: int

scripts:
    healUnit:

- offset: 50
        #*** Stat boosting ***
        code: |
          var int temp;

item.getTag temp Tag.WM_IS_WACKY;

if neq temp 0;
            # debug_log "healUnit: applying wacky medikit, skip normal effects completely";
            set medikit_action_type 0;

target.getTimeUnits temp;
            add temp 55;
            target.setTimeUnits temp;

target.getEnergy temp;
            add temp 60;
            target.setEnergy temp;

return;
          end;

# debug_log "healUnit: not wacky...";
          return;

Put this in a separate rul file (best practice would be to call it scripts.rul or something similar). You can use this along with the other defintions you need in a dedicated submod. For (sub-)mod definitions look at the metadata.yml in the base directory of the x-piratez sub-mods (for example the czech name mod). This will involve some trial&error work on your side if you want to learn and understand how to mod, no two ways about this. And yes, the best thing would be to put this in a submod so you don't mess up the mod itself.

All of this is plaintext. You should be able to work your way throught this if this is indeed something you "need".

If you need further help you're better off asking in the dedicated modding help subforum:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html

This isn't really the place for this.

You need to make your own submod, but how to make it? What files where to prescribe metadata.yml? What and how to do it?
I'll figure it out over the weekend.
So far, can someone tell me how to modify the number of crew on my ship?
rulsets:
soldiers: 12
If we change to a larger amount, this is not enough. Since they need to specify the place where they will spawn at the beginning of the mission.
deployment:
      - [12, 4, 1, 2]
      - [12, 5, 1, 2]
      - [11, 4, 1, 2]
      - [11, 5, 1, 2]
      - [7, 4, 1, 6]
      - [7, 5, 1, 6]
      - [8, 4, 1, 6]
      - [8, 5, 1, 6]
      - [8, 3, 1, 6]
      - [8, 6, 1, 6]
      - [8, 4, 2, 2]
      - [8, 5, 2, 2]
The numbers are the coordinates where the soldiers or vehicles will spawn in order.
So you need to add something like this
       - [8, 2, 2, 6]
and check if it works or not.
But the problem is, the game crashes, as it complains about changes in the line. What to do with it?

As far as I understand, it is necessary to register somewhere that there are more lines now?

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 11, 2022, 07:29:30 pm »
And most likely I know the answer. (No)
Is there a way to make the base bigger? (more cells) ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 11, 2022, 08:13:50 pm »
Not the appropriate place, please use modding help or the x-piratez subforum.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 11, 2022, 09:47:17 pm »
Anthropod hillbillies cornered in a barn. We're coming for their guns! :P In a black (okay, white) helicopter, no less.

Come to think of it, where are all the black helicopters? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4598 on: June 13, 2022, 06:04:47 pm »
No, no, I'm proposing a 'nerf' to the early-game Magnum. Visual-only, at that. And bringing the range up to DE standards for the long-barreled BO Magnum.

I'm honestly not sure what this is supposed to accomplish, if there's no gameplay difference. I went and reread your argument, but I don't get the point. Why does it matter?

I really want that .50 DE, too, but there are several other things that already fill that niche, so... :'(
I get that. That's why I proposed an 'official' submod that can be enabled to turn it off. Because right now, it's not really optional.

Why 'official'? Because if I do it, I'm likely to drop off again and several updates after that it'll be a bizarre mixture. I can make a base for it if you wish, but what I'm asking is that you maintain it yourself. I.e. every time you make a release, you add all the new 'battletype: 10' crap into the submod. Should take a few minutes, tops.

Sorry, I'm not prepared to take on this additional tasks, mostly because I don't give the fuck. You want it, you do it - I wouldn't mind.

No, I didn't mean 'flock' as in 'move outside'. I meant it as 'spawn outside'. They are never inside to begin with. Something attracts the spawning away from the 'UFO'.

OK, I'll try looking at this issue. It's actually rather interesting.

An interesting situation I found. The Dagonites are apparently keeping the Deep Ones Gillmen in a pen, and there's a meat locker nearby, with some suspicious offerings inside. Is this for the Gillmen? From the Gillmen? :o

There is also a Priest together with a younger acolyte in there, pretending they don't know each other now that the door is open. ;)

Anthropod hillbillies cornered in a barn. We're coming for their guns! :P In a black (okay, white) helicopter, no less.

Come to think of it, where are all the black helicopters? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

:D

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 13, 2022, 06:29:54 pm »
I'm honestly not sure what this is supposed to accomplish, if there's no gameplay difference. I went and reread your argument, but I don't get the point. Why does it matter?
Makes it clear what the Magnum is good for (instead of digging into INFO), gives some early 'detective' vibes for the loadout.

The gameplay change would be in the BO Magnum.

Sorry, I'm not prepared to take on this additional tasks, mostly because I don't give the fuck. You want it, you do it - I wouldn't mind.
I don't personally really give a fuck, either. I've already done it for myself, I'm good, and I have other projects to manage myself. I know I'll forget this for a year or two sometime soonish. It's other players I'm proposing this for, because I don't really believe there is a significant percentage of them who like to play with the boxes all the time.

I'm even willing to do what's likely to be the bulk of the work for years to come. If you don't want to do the tiny extra step, eh, fine, let's leave things as they are.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 13, 2022, 07:33:03 pm »
Makes it clear what the Magnum is good for (instead of digging into INFO), gives some early 'detective' vibes for the loadout.

It makes clear what exactly, and why? Sorry, I don't follow at all. You want a shorter barrel because you think it'd look better, this part I get, but not the first one.

The gameplay change would be in the BO Magnum.

How would the BlackOps Magnum be changed? I'm trying to find some concrete suggestions, but you haven't proposed any numbers, it's all .44 this, .357 that, and I don't know what your point is.

I am not trying to be obstructive, but I'm not a telepath.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 13, 2022, 08:47:33 pm »
It makes clear what exactly, and why? Sorry, I don't follow at all. You want a shorter barrel because you think it'd look better, this part I get, but not the first one.
Makes it clear that the regular Magnum currently has -20% range compared to the S&W and the DE, the closest guns to it.

How would the BlackOps Magnum be changed?
I did say 'DE standards', so range 20 for aimed and 15 snap. But now that I'm looking more closely, the whole pistol lineup has rather bizarre ranges. 9mm Makarov, the one handgun that legend describes as more lethal thrown than fired has aimed range 20. Mk23 SOCOM, the super-shooty, 'offensive', 'tack driver' gun? Aimed range 18. A decades-old Mauser, presumably in 9mm Para: range 23. Super-tricked out Smart Magnum: range 16. Wildey, a gun that was originally meant as a kind of pocket rifle: aimed range 14. :o

Actually, I give up. :( I don't even want to look at any other stats, this is unsalvageable from a 'realism' POV without a big rewrite. Let's just pretend that in XCF-land, all cartridges were secretly replaced by aliens Illuminati at some point and leave it at that. I can do my own rewrite if I ever find enough time again.

Edit: Some more feedback:

I just encountered the new Red Dawn HQ and that's some impressive stuff! Very evil to the player, too, I approve. ;D

I do have to ask why are all these supersoldier wannabes in Red Dawn (plus Stormies and Cave-people) so wimpy Health-wise? I mean, they're supposed to be really manly and jacked up, but a e.g. BL Assassin, Brother of Apocalypse or even a rando postal dude beats every one of them except the Coordinators. Even a regular no-frills gangbanger is only 10% behind.

Why are even the wimpiest AI units now locked behind either getting lucky with Osiron crates or getting an alien engineer through processing? I mean, I'd understand if you were at least given a few parts to get a drone or two started as a teaser, but right now there's just no light drones before they're obsolete or you get lucky. :'(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:01:55 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 17, 2022, 11:26:38 am »
There was a bug with Pioneers, who had only 35 HP instead of 50. Other than that, it looks okay... A top health human (elite officer) has only 45.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 17, 2022, 01:27:48 pm »
Eh, if I was a gangbanger with 45 health and these RD dudes promised me another 5HP for swallowing their highly suspicious steroid cocktail that has a confirmed fatality rate, I'd be a little suspicious. :-\

I also thought these Pioneers were ex-Soviet-block soldiers who had not 'proven' themselves to Red Dawn, yet, and thus didn't have access to Storm.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 01:29:43 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 17, 2022, 07:05:34 pm »
For some reason my OpenXcom can no longer find and run the mod as well as being unable to find my saves, despite it being in the mods folder, I have played it about 3 weeks ago and it worked fine, any suggestions?