Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951678 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.4: Flesh and Circuitry
« Reply #4560 on: May 12, 2022, 10:14:02 pm »
"I'm already here in the open, gun in hand, so why not turn my back to the oncoming vehicle and contemplate some bushes?"
Typical strawman argument. It's not about people caught asleep or otherwise unprepared.
It is, but the strawman is yours. Did I mention enemy facing somewhere? This is a separate (though related) matter altogether.

I did and do mean TU. It is not about 'facing some bushes'. It is about the point of time when the cultist/alien/whoever reaches 'the open' and 'the bushes', relative to X-Com rapidly disembarking from their craft. Which they presumably at least try to land away from the greatest concentration of enemy forces. So the enemies must 'spend' their TU to catch up.

Why are all the gopniks rushing to keep up with the craft 100% coordinated and in sync? Ain't realistic, never was, and Starving Poet's variable TU is the best approximation of reality so far. Maybe not perfect, but good enough.

Also, it very much is about unprepared cultists. Or are you saying 100% of every cultist base is on red alert 24/7, all year long? If not, enemies start in different stages of preparedness. Some will have to 'spend' TU to get dressed, grab a gun, get out, get oriented and get orders. Or climb out from where they're repairing exploded UFO guts, playing with cattle or mind-wiping civvies. Others are already on patrol, gun in hand, fully alert, chasing the intruding vehicle.

All of this 'realism' can, of course, be waived if it makes for poor gameplay. I haven't seen any argument that it does. Players are expressing that they're feeling frustrated, not challenged.

Too much work (ha), but primarily it's not really my business, it's the community's will.
I can only comment whether I personally agree with something or not, but only as a private person, not a mod author.
Making a shortish list with links mod threads and attaching it to one of your posts is neither a lot of work nor can anyone but you (or the admins) do it. In fact, you've already done it with the resound mod.

But fine, provide Solarious's Totally Unofficial-Personal Seal Of (Dis)Approval, then.

Spoiler"Probably better to not read it":
Jesus, why do you always have to be such an asshole in every post?
Once again, disagreeing with you and providing arguments equals being an asshole. Yeah, no change here. Even the swearing is still in.

I think at this point calling you 'That DM' is not far off the mark.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4561 on: May 13, 2022, 11:43:34 am »
Just go away, please.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: May 13, 2022, 08:32:39 pm »
Hello!

I want to say a big thank you to the authors of this mod. It is truly wonderful. If the original X-COM development was not stopped at 90-s, I believe the game would evolve into something similar to this mod. I suspected earlier that the original X-COM was somewhat unpolished, but only after I played this mod I realized how many flaws were in the original X-COM's mechanics.

There is a ton of questions I want to ask, but I will list only few of them in this post.

One of the greatest issue I faced with this mod (and in X-COM game in general) is a lack of available information about some core mechanics. And I searched a lot, trust me! In this forum and in other places. I managed to find some useful info, like that “#” means 50 science days or that “damage from fire” is 5-10. But I still cannot figure out many other things.

How exactly smoke decreases vision? (Formula?) Is there different types of smoke on the map with different properties? (It feels yes.) How much choke damage is inflicted each turn to a unit that stands in a smoke cloud?

Can someone, please, explain me how exactly colorful shields work? (Zero info on this topic out there!) I teared out many of my hair trying to figure that out. For example, both Black Lotus Avatar and Ethereal has Gold Shield, but it seems, that they work differently. Black Lotus Avatar's shield will not diminish if your bullet did no damage. In contrary to this it is impossible to harm Ethereal at all until he has a shield that will disappear after few shots. And how shields work together with armor? And what exactly means “good protection against” and “bad protection against” in ufopedia page? I need a proper formula!

Ridiculously, but there is a formula for psi defense, and no formula for psi attack! So how exactly likelihood of successful psi attack (panic and control respectfully) is calculated? Hybrids are capable of psi attacking even without psi-amps, but it looks like their attacks are less likely to succeed. And I also read something about distance from target that matter. Is that true?

How moral damage is calculated? I know it depends on damage amount and bravery, but how exactly? Very strange seeing 1500% moral damage from Incendiary Grenade and not knowing how good this bonus actually is.

I think it is very unfair showing that there is 60% chance to successfully attack with a knife, while in reality there is 10% chance because of opponent's dodging capabilities. I understand, that it is impossible to show real success chance before strike, but may be there is a way to notify player about real chances after few attack attempts? Same issue is with obstacles on line of fire. Game says 146% chance to hit, but all bullets miss, because in reality only opponent's nose is visible above the rock. Again, it would be nice to see how well an opponent was hidden after a shot using something like Ctrl+H screen.

Then I wish to talk about game balance around sniper rifles. It looks like they are very overpowered and useful in pretty much every situation. Of course you need an agent with good aim to use sniper rifles, bet this is not an issue at all in the mid game and later on. During my playthrough I tried hard to use heavy weapons, like canons. After all, if an agent is very strong, then giving him a heavy weapon is  reasonable thing to do, right? This extra weight supposes to contain more power, right? But in reality canons do a little more damage than sniper rifles, are way less accurate and have similar rate of fire. So sniper rifles completely outshine canons and many other weapon classes. This is sad.

Similar question I have about SMG's, especially about 2-handed ones. What are they for? I think they should be more deadly than regular rifles at short distances, but they don't. I don't want to believe, that most SMG's are garbage, but I can't find an application for them either.

Maybe I am completely wrong about weapon balance. I was slightly shocked reading that someone finds CAWS useful, while I find it to be a worse version of a shotgun. I am certain that being able to shoot enemies from afar with great precision is much more important than anything else even on not so open maps, but I read that someone thinks shotguns are great. I really wish to know other people opinions about weapon efficiency in different situations.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: May 15, 2022, 02:26:04 pm »
Hello!

I want to say a big thank you to the authors of this mod. It is truly wonderful. If the original X-COM development was not stopped at 90-s, I believe the game would evolve into something similar to this mod. I suspected earlier that the original X-COM was somewhat unpolished, but only after I played this mod I realized how many flaws were in the original X-COM's mechanics.

Thank you in the name of the entire team! We're having much fun doing this.

One of the greatest issue I faced with this mod (and in X-COM game in general) is a lack of available information about some core mechanics. And I searched a lot, trust me! In this forum and in other places. I managed to find some useful info, like that “#” means 50 science days or that “damage from fire” is 5-10. But I still cannot figure out many other things.

Yes, this is indeed a bit obscure. I will make a note to finally make some Pedia article to address some of these issues. Feel free to let me know what should be explained (apart from below).

How exactly smoke decreases vision? (Formula?) Is there different types of smoke on the map with different properties? (It feels yes.) How much choke damage is inflicted each turn to a unit that stands in a smoke cloud?

There's only one type of smoke, with variable density. As for the formula, I also had to look for it, found it here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Smoke_Grenade. The final value is 1-3 points per round, but most unprotected units in XCF have 400% modifire to smoke, so multiply this by 4.

Can someone, please, explain me how exactly colorful shields work? (Zero info on this topic out there!) I teared out many of my hair trying to figure that out. For example, both Black Lotus Avatar and Ethereal has Gold Shield, but it seems, that they work differently. Black Lotus Avatar's shield will not diminish if your bullet did no damage. In contrary to this it is impossible to harm Ethereal at all until he has a shield that will disappear after few shots. And how shields work together with armor? And what exactly means “good protection against” and “bad protection against” in ufopedia page? I need a proper formula!

These shields should work exactly the same, the only difference being in how much damage they can absorb.
Shields work before armour, and armour only starts working after a shield is coimpletely depleted. Unless it's a damage type that completely ignores this type of shield.
Sorry, no pklan to adding more formulas. That would be pointless info dump. If you're interested, you can check the script in scripts_XCOMFILES.rul.

Ridiculously, but there is a formula for psi defense, and no formula for psi attack! So how exactly likelihood of successful psi attack (panic and control respectfully) is calculated? Hybrids are capable of psi attacking even without psi-amps, but it looks like their attacks are less likely to succeed. And I also read something about distance from target that matter. Is that true?

Distance definitely matters, yes. As for the formula, I don't keep such things to memory, but it should be easy to find on the ufopaedia.org page.

How moral damage is calculated? I know it depends on damage amount and bravery, but how exactly? Very strange seeing 1500% moral damage from Incendiary Grenade and not knowing how good this bonus actually is.

That's another vanilla mechanic which I never bothered to check. Honestly, what's the point? It works, that's what matters.

I think it is very unfair showing that there is 60% chance to successfully attack with a knife, while in reality there is 10% chance because of opponent's dodging capabilities. I understand, that it is impossible to show real success chance before strike, but may be there is a way to notify player about real chances after few attack attempts? Same issue is with obstacles on line of fire. Game says 146% chance to hit, but all bullets miss, because in reality only opponent's nose is visible above the rock. Again, it would be nice to see how well an opponent was hidden after a shot using something like Ctrl+H screen.

If I recall correctly, Meridian specifically rejected this, because he considered it a cheat. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then I wish to talk about game balance around sniper rifles. It looks like they are very overpowered and useful in pretty much every situation. Of course you need an agent with good aim to use sniper rifles, bet this is not an issue at all in the mid game and later on. During my playthrough I tried hard to use heavy weapons, like canons. After all, if an agent is very strong, then giving him a heavy weapon is  reasonable thing to do, right? This extra weight supposes to contain more power, right? But in reality canons do a little more damage than sniper rifles, are way less accurate and have similar rate of fire. So sniper rifles completely outshine canons and many other weapon classes. This is sad.

I think that means you're a sniper player. I am much feedback like this, but for different weapon classes - for example "pistols are the only viable weapons" is fairly popular. I personally find sniper rifles very useful, but only on large open areas, whereas cannons are more for city warfare.

Similar question I have about SMG's, especially about 2-handed ones. What are they for? I think they should be more deadly than regular rifles at short distances, but they don't. I don't want to believe, that most SMG's are garbage, but I can't find an application for them either.

Weird - everyone is saying how rubbish assault rifles are compared to SMGs... :) A matter of preference, I suppose.

Maybe I am completely wrong about weapon balance. I was slightly shocked reading that someone finds CAWS useful, while I find it to be a worse version of a shotgun. I am certain that being able to shoot enemies from afar with great precision is much more important than anything else even on not so open maps, but I read that someone thinks shotguns are great. I really wish to know other people opinions about weapon efficiency in different situations.

Well, I am doing my best to make weapon classes "balanced" in the sense of catering to various player types. I totally hear your arguments, I treat them seriously and will keep them in mind. But there are many players making claims and their opinions vary wildly... :)

And now, to announce: Version 2.5 is ready.
- New missions: MiB Base, MiB Ground Supply.
- New staff input.
- New cities: Bratislava, Vilnius, Talinn, Tbilisi, Bishkek, Dushanbe.
- New countries: Kirgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Uganda, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Thailand, Vietnam.
- New agent nationalities: Afghani, Algerian, Australian, Austrian, Azeri, Chilean, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Libyan, Lithuanian, Moroccan, New Zealander, Pakistani, Peruvian, Tunisian, Turkmen, Venezuelan (several name lists provided by LFM).
- More Cuban names.
- Better country funding model (by Buscher).
- Dimension X Expeditions.
- Chemical Flares can be recovered.
- Proteans are immune to zombification.
- Custom desert roads.
- Cydonia requires space-capable suits.
- MiB Outpost reworked.
- Simplified the Moon satellite project.
- Cult vehicles have white markers.
- Battleship map 7 fixes.
- Corrected "Lassa" to "Lhasa".
- Some country border corrections.
- Fixed Kigali, Dakar and Nouakchott placement.
- Fixed a crash on some humans vs. monsters missions.
- Fixed Golden Academy Towers not spawning in some scenarios.
- Fixed damage display on some power armors.
- Muton sprites fix (by Alex_D).
- Fixed Dimension X ending.
- Minor fixes (thanks to Emil J. Schroeder).

If you want to see the new countries on an older campaign, you will have to add them manually - please refer to the previous release post for details.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: May 15, 2022, 02:46:31 pm »
Thank you in the name of the entire team! We're having much fun doing this.

Wait, isn't it just you?

Shotguns have decent accuracy up close and with aimed shots quite far away. They are really good on the Strange creatures early on, because you must clear the closest enemies as fast as possible, Also some of them have a readily available stun round, which isn't the best but is longer range than the Tasers. I found them very useful on the Large Zombie missions since they deal tons of damage for the TU used.

On cult missions, though you need something that can deal with armor better and has higher accuracy at range. I am a fan of assault rifles, although they aren't the best tool sometimes.

I rarely use SMGs, except the one handed ones. I usually need more damage to go through some armor and rifles do that. The one handed ones are decent as a secondary arm.

People have been loving the Miniguns too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 03:11:39 pm by tarkalak »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: May 15, 2022, 03:06:45 pm »
Wait, isn't it just you?
The readme is called "readme" for a reason. You might want to check it for a non-exhaustive list of contributors, not to mention those contributing to the github repository and people reporting bugs (and bugfixes) on the forums. Also keep in mind that none of this would be possible without all the work that's gone into OXCE.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: May 15, 2022, 03:14:09 pm »
The readme is called "readme" for a reason. You might want to check it for a non-exhaustive list of contributors, not to mention those contributing to the github repository and people reporting bugs (and bugfixes) on the forums. Also keep in mind that none of this would be possible without all the work that's gone into OXCE.

True that. :)

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: May 15, 2022, 03:48:09 pm »
Thank you for your answers.
There's only one type of smoke, with variable density. As for the formula, I also had to look for it, found it here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Smoke_Grenade. The final value is 1-3 points per round, but most unprotected units in XCF have 400% modifire to smoke, so multiply this by 4.
According to this article there are 3 types of smoke with different denity (how I expeced) and it is impossible to distiguish between then by glance (how typical).
These shields should work exactly the same, the only difference being in how much damage they can absorb.
Shields work before armour, and armour only starts working after a shield is coimpletely depleted. Unless it's a damage type that completely ignores this type of shield.
Sorry, no pklan to adding more formulas. That would be pointless info dump. If you're interested, you can check the script in scripts_XCOMFILES.rul.
So it is possible to take down shields with many shots with low caliber bullets? Strange that I was unable to do that Black Lotus Avatar. And event more stranger is that Ufopedia article about purple (if I recall correctly) shield clearly states that it is immune to low caliber shots. That is why I was so confused. I will definitely check the formula.
Distance definitely matters, yes. As for the formula, I don't keep such things to memory, but it should be easy to find on the ufopaedia.org page.
Well I visited ufopaedia.org previously and now. Specifically article about psi-amp. Call me blind, but I don't see any percentages of success. And ufopaedia.org suck in a way that there is no "all article list". You have to know exactly what to search in advance.
That's another vanilla mechanic which I never bothered to check. Honestly, what's the point? It works, that's what matters.
Well, I also had this attitude while played original X-COM. But with this mod with so much options it is no longer possible. But I finally found the right article on ufopaedia.org, so OK.
If I recall correctly, Meridian specifically rejected this, because he considered it a cheat. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, I understand that, partially. I just believe that leaving all how it is now is even worse than cheating. Can I request at least a tiny notice in ufopedia inside article about melee, that "percentage you see are misleading"?
I think that means you're a sniper player. I am much feedback like this, but for different weapon classes - for example "pistols are the only viable weapons" is fairly popular. I personally find sniper rifles very useful, but only on large open areas, whereas cannons are more for city warfare.
Well, I am doing my best to make weapon classes "balanced" in the sense of catering to various player types. I totally hear your arguments, I treat them seriously and will keep them in mind. But there are many players making claims and their opinions vary wildly... :)
Good to know. Now I can use sniper rifles without thinking that I am exploiting some bugs.
Weird - everyone is saying how rubbish assault rifles are compared to SMGs... :) A matter of preference, I suppose.
Very strange. Typical battle is an assault on cultist stockpile: a building full of cultist in the middle of a desert with no covers at all. How am I suppose to win this without long range weapons???

If you want to see the new countries on an older campaign, you will have to add them manually - please refer to the previous release post for details.
Release post for 2.4? There is only "Note: the new countries will only appear a new campaign. (Or if you edit them manually into your save.)".
Can I not add them and just play? This will not screw founding or something else? Sorry for stupid questions, that probably were answered many times, but really cannot find those answers.

MODIFIED:
Yes, just updated the mod. Everything looks fine even without new countries.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:53:54 pm by Vakrug »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: May 15, 2022, 04:01:45 pm »
Shotguns have decent accuracy up close and with aimed shots quite far away. They are really good on the Strange creatures early on, because you must clear the closest enemies as fast as possible, Also some of them have a readily available stun round, which isn't the best but is longer range than the Tasers. I found them very useful on the Large Zombie missions since they deal tons of damage for the TU used.
As I suspected. Good against early creatures, against some zombies, good for stun rounds (but this is only 1 specific shotgun), bad for pretty much everything else.

One thing I hate about shotguns (with scattering ammo) is that even with 100% accuracy not all rounds hit the target. If distance is relatively big, even smaller number of rounds hit the target. I even suspect that 100% accuracy means that there is 100% chance for 1 round (out of 7) to hit and that is all.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: May 15, 2022, 07:29:44 pm »
Can I not add them and just play? This will not screw founding or something else? Sorry for stupid questions, that probably were answered many times, but really cannot find those answers.

You can add them manually in your own save.

The thread in the link below explains how to do that. It is mostly for the last time new countries were added (2 years ago) but the last post is for this update. It has an excel sheet to recalculate the values if you want to change the funding somewhat proportionally. There is also the file with my calculations for my own save.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7161.msg113435.html#msg113435
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:53:42 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: May 16, 2022, 11:08:29 am »
Wait, isn't it just you?

Well yes, but actually no. Many people spontaneously help out, as seen in the changelog, so at this point it wouldn't be fair to call it a solo project.

Exactly! :)

o it is possible to take down shields with many shots with low caliber bullets? Strange that I was unable to do that Black Lotus Avatar. And event more stranger is that Ufopedia article about purple (if I recall correctly) shield clearly states that it is immune to low caliber shots. That is why I was so confused. I will definitely check the formula.

The Avatar has Gold shields, not Purple. And anyway, no shield is completely immune to anything, although their efficiency varies a lot.
Yes, the avatar can definitely be taken down with enough bullets.

Well I visited ufopaedia.org previously and now. Specifically article about psi-amp. Call me blind, but I don't see any percentages of success. And ufopaedia.org suck in a way that there is no "all article list". You have to know exactly what to search in advance.

I searched for "psi formula" and immediately got this: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Psionic_Equations

Well, I also had this attitude while played original X-COM. But with this mod with so much options it is no longer possible. But I finally found the right article on ufopaedia.org, so OK.

Well, it probably helps, but I wouldn't say it's necessary... I don't do this when playing other X-com mods, and I'm doing fine. To each their own.

Well, I understand that, partially. I just believe that leaving all how it is now is even worse than cheating. Can I request at least a tiny notice in ufopedia inside article about melee, that "percentage you see are misleading"?

I honestly think that this particular point should be discussed on the level of OXCE. (I do not have any strong beliefs here myself.)

Still, I'm not going to write that these numbers are misleading, because they are not. They show exactly what they're supposed to. Enemy dodge is not a part of this.

Very strange. Typical battle is an assault on cultist stockpile: a building full of cultist in the middle of a desert with no covers at all. How am I suppose to win this without long range weapons???

In darkness. ;)

But seriously, I'm inclined to agree, especially for that phase. But there are also many close quarter battles, and increasingly more as you play on...

You can add them manually in your own save.

The thread in the link below explains how to do that. It is mostly for the last time new countries were added (2 years ago) but the last post is for this update. It has an excel sheet to recalculate the values if you want to change the funding somewhat proportionally. There is also the file with my calculations for my own save.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7161.msg113435.html#msg113435

Yep, this should work. But I'm not sure if recalculating is necessary - I'm getting mixed messages about how the code works, it might actually do that automatically.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.5: Silent Run
« Reply #4571 on: May 16, 2022, 11:52:52 am »
Yep, this should work. But I'm not sure if recalculating is necessary - I'm getting mixed messages about how the code works, it might actually do that automatically.

The code uses the values in the file, right?
So if I don't update them it will use the last month's values including the ones I added to it, therefore I will end up with more money, than I am supposed to.

Of course recalculating it the way I do it is not necessary, you can just decrease the old funding nations at whim until you get the "correct" funding for the month.

The purpose of the recalculating is to make it look like the new funding countries were here from the beginning and got gradual increase throughout the months. I can repeat the same for all months, but only the last matters, so I am not OCD enough to repeat it 11 times.

I am a mathematician, so I have to flex a little. ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:42:10 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: May 16, 2022, 05:50:03 pm »
All right :) I'm just saying that I've been told that it adding new countries forces the game to recalculate incomes, so the end value is more or less the same. And then I got the opposite info. I just don't know.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: May 16, 2022, 07:08:02 pm »
I searched for "psi formula" and immediately got this: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Psionic_Equations
Thanks for link. So X-COM Files only changed formula for psi defense and added requirement for vision? Hmmm... Maybe Skulljack is not so useless after all...
Well, it probably helps, but I wouldn't say it's necessary... I don't do this when playing other X-com mods, and I'm doing fine. To each their own.
I really want to understand the place of each item in this mod. Some items have very narrow niche. This is where calculations are necessary.
I honestly think that this particular point should be discussed on the level of OXCE. (I do not have any strong beliefs here myself.)
Oh, sorry, since I rediscovered X-COM recently I am still not sure what is a part of OXCE and what is part of the mod.
In darkness. ;)
Actually I usually storm outposts at night. But I use Trace Flares. My experience of fighting in darkness at close range: it is suicide!

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: May 16, 2022, 10:06:54 pm »
All right :) I'm just saying that I've been told that it adding new countries forces the game to recalculate incomes, so the end value is more or less the same. And then I got the opposite info. I just don't know.

I know less than you. If the game adds the new countries automatically, that would have been great, but I remember that last time it didn't.

I haven't tried waiting till end of the month to see if they will get added. Might try with the backup.