Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950333 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.6: Life Will Never Be The Same
« Reply #3870 on: October 23, 2020, 04:18:51 pm »
I was always under the impression that vanilla HWPs were not AI controlled units, but "remotely" piloted.

Maybe, maybe not. Both possibilities create a lot of problems. :)

IIRC your original idea as first implemented was to have a "basic" AI unit that wasn't able to improve stats and an alien AI unit which could. Would you maybe think about implementing this system again, at least for early game HWP chasis (scout/first aid drone)? As far as I can tell there is no need lore-wise to straight-out require "actual" AI units, seeing how they already come with "technicians". Maybe these technicians are also trained HWP/drone operators?

The reason I scrapped that was because for half the campaign, people were stuck with AIs who couldn't develop their stats or anything, which was just boring and anticlimatic. I just didn't like it.

Anyway, with the current model we can have the cake and eat the cake, so there's point in discussing what ifs.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: October 25, 2020, 07:45:10 pm »
I was under impression too. It would make sense for them to be remotely controlled given the timeframe and AI self driving tanks is something i am sure we wont even see in 2020. It would also make sense that the operators would improve through combat since AI otherwise should be extremely accurate by itself since it can do calculations within miliseconds, like talking about 90-100% accurate with something like a laser cannon which has no recoil and flies at the speed of light so aiming this thing is just pointing towards the target and shooting. But i guess thats for sake of balance because being able to pump out almost perfectly accurate units that will one shot most enemies in the game would break the game.

Also a side note, i do find it quite funny that tanks/HWP can drive dropships. So can dogs and rats.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: October 25, 2020, 08:30:59 pm »
So can dogs and rats.

Dogs and rats cannot.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 26, 2020, 09:28:08 am »
Dogs and rats cannot.

They can, but only on the return trip and only if all the humans are dead. :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 26, 2020, 12:17:37 pm »
They can, but only on the return trip and only if all the humans are dead. :P

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: October 26, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »

I don't see him here. ~8:54

https://youtu.be/s88-FB9EAxs?t=534

EDIT: Is "Master of the Punch" award separate for each armor? It would be cool if it is awarded regardless of the suit.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:17:28 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: October 26, 2020, 03:12:18 pm »
I don't see him here. ~8:54

That was eons ago, before such an option was available.

EDIT: Is "Master of the Punch" award separate for each armor? It would be cool if it is awarded regardless of the suit.

Depends; some armours share the same punching weapon, but many are different.

Offline pbalint

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:28 am »
Just 2 quick questions:
Having read the changelog:
1.6:
- New missions: UAC Weapon Lab, UAC Office, X-Com Slander (Shared Elerium Explosives).

-Does one need to start a new campaign to encounter these new missions?
-Is it possible to train psi strength, considering the option is disabled and not changeable for this mod?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:56:30 pm by pbalint »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: October 31, 2020, 11:16:28 am »
-Does one need to start a new campaign to encounter these new missions?
-Is it possible to train psi strength, considering the option is disabled and not changeable for this mod?
No.
Not as such. There is a transformation that increases it.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: November 02, 2020, 06:18:42 pm »
No.
Not as such. There is a transformation that increases it.

And a commendation or two that also increases it.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: November 04, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »
Not a bug...

v1.6b in en-US.yml
STR_XCOM_SLANDER_SHARE_ALIEN_GARDENS_TECH    --->     already exists 4 lines below!  ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: November 04, 2020, 11:25:35 pm »
Not a bug...

v1.6b in en-US.yml
STR_XCOM_SLANDER_SHARE_ALIEN_GARDENS_TECH    --->     already exists 4 lines below!  ;)

Er, um... Redundancy! :)

Offline termidor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: November 09, 2020, 02:22:15 am »
Hi , just wanted to say that I'm quite enjoying  the mod right now. I  originally wrote a much larger reply, but it got lost due to the session closing, so this is a brief version with some questions  and suggestions.
- Is there a way to hide items from the buying list? It gets  quite crowded  as the game goes on, but i believe is the QoL feature  that would  be most welcoming if not implemented
- You should  get the Osprey if you take  down any sect base. In my game I didn't  prioritize  Black lotus due to how the bases were positioned , but it felt bad to know that there was a competent  transport  after defeating  Exalt and the Church with the dragonfly. Feels more logical to get the big bad boy if you are preparing  to take down a heavily  fortify base.
- The Bio Suit feels quite useless right now, i don't  know if I'm missing  something  but the armored vest seem better as a load out in most situations .
- It is necessary  to advance in all the storyline to win? The zombie line seem to be very hard for what you get in return.
- One minor thing, but giving MAGNA access to titanium should  come after you research how to manufacture it yourself.
- Why is the option  for instant explosions  from grenades  not up to the player?
- After seeing that we can recruit  rats, which was a pleasant  surprise,  could  we get expand options  to recruit  other monsters for example shadow bats or werewolfs? In the case of the latter and for more OP beast, they could  get a sanity  hit in every mission independently  of the situation,  making  then unable to be deploy in every missions  and being sub par if things drag too long. Also their availability  should  be limited to those that you captured,  making then a finite resource.
- More alternative research options  would  be welcome , specially  from when the player is out of research options because  he lack something. This was something  that happen to me in the Final mod pack, as well as in my first run  of this mod andiIn the current  game  I was saved by some allien alloys while I wait for the final promotion.  They shouldn't  be very flashy things, but options to keep the sense of novelty and escalation. Some concrete example would  be for example some weapon modifications ( give a rifle a bayonet, make the farming flamethrower  useful), use for materials (the spiderweb can be a good candidate) or specialized  gear( A better weapon for different  type of infiltration  mission for example).
-Do stat gain from awards allow soldiers to go over their training  limit? Honestly  I prefer the final mod pack system of soldier awards being purely  cosmetic.
-How does unit size affect soldier accuracy?  Because there seem to be little difference  in shooting  a Rat and shooting  a zombie from a distance
-Finally about balance, two points:the cattle prod should  be better than the electric club due to difficulty  in storage and the bigger TU cost, and the 45. Cal Smg should use 30 round magazines. Also black ops contact  should  probably come after contacting  the cult arms dealer as their stuff (Black ops)is most of the time superior.
Ps: If I wanted to use TFTD damage formula or the 50-200, would  I need to modify  each weapon  entry or it is stored elsewhere?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: November 09, 2020, 11:47:08 am »
Hi , just wanted to say that I'm quite enjoying  the mod right now. I  originally wrote a much larger reply, but it got lost due to the session closing, so this is a brief version with some questions  and suggestions.

Hello, amnd thank you!

- Is there a way to hide items from the buying list? It gets  quite crowded  as the game goes on, but i believe is the QoL feature  that would  be most welcoming if not implemented

Yes, R-click on itgems on this list (as well as manufacturing, etc.); to undo, check the "Hidden" category under filters.

- You should  get the Osprey if you take  down any sect base. In my game I didn't  prioritize  Black lotus due to how the bases were positioned , but it felt bad to know that there was a competent  transport  after defeating  Exalt and the Church with the dragonfly. Feels more logical to get the big bad boy if you are preparing  to take down a heavily  fortify base.

Sorry, I do not know how it relates - priorities for the Osprey are completely different, not dependent specifically on Black Lotus in particular (at least not more than the other three cults).

- The Bio Suit feels quite useless right now, i don't  know if I'm missing  something  but the armored vest seem better as a load out in most situations .

Did you mean the Bio-Exo Suit?
If yes, well, it's one of the most useful things in the mod, as attested by many players...

- It is necessary  to advance in all the storyline to win? The zombie line seem to be very hard for what you get in return.

No, this arc and similar aree optional. They don't even give you anything really good right now, but I'm working on it.

- One minor thing, but giving MAGNA access to titanium should  come after you research how to manufacture it yourself.

I see where you're coming from... You're right, I'll change it.

- Why is the option  for instant explosions  from grenades  not up to the player?

Because it's the worst cheat in the history of cheats. :)

- After seeing that we can recruit  rats, which was a pleasant  surprise,  could  we get expand options  to recruit  other monsters for example shadow bats or werewolfs? In the case of the latter and for more OP beast, they could  get a sanity  hit in every mission independently  of the situation,  making  then unable to be deploy in every missions  and being sub par if things drag too long. Also their availability  should  be limited to those that you captured,  making then a finite resource.

Yes, I have such plans (I even have a list of Shadowbat names already in the mod!), they're just not high priority.

- More alternative research options  would  be welcome , specially  from when the player is out of research options because  he lack something. This was something  that happen to me in the Final mod pack, as well as in my first run  of this mod andiIn the current  game  I was saved by some allien alloys while I wait for the final promotion.  They shouldn't  be very flashy things, but options to keep the sense of novelty and escalation. Some concrete example would  be for example some weapon modifications ( give a rifle a bayonet, make the farming flamethrower  useful), use for materials (the spiderweb can be a good candidate) or specialized  gear( A better weapon for different  type of infiltration  mission for example).

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8729.0.html XD
But seriously, such things must be done with care, because they take a lot of time, it's not very fun to do, and the added value is negligible. I like having lots of stuff, but it should serve some more specific purpose than "make sure the player never runs out of research".

-Do stat gain from awards allow soldiers to go over their training  limit? Honestly  I prefer the final mod pack system of soldier awards being purely  cosmetic.

Yes, they definitely allow you to go over their normal caps. This is a crucial part of the XCF balance, together with soldier transformations.

-How does unit size affect soldier accuracy?  Because there seem to be little difference  in shooting  a Rat and shooting  a zombie from a distance

There is a difference. I can't explain it in purely math terms - I don't think even a person who understands it completely could do that, it's just too complicated - but smaller targets are harder to hit, and also they have an easier time hiding behind obstacles.

-Finally about balance, two points:the cattle prod should  be better than the electric club due to difficulty  in storage and the bigger TU cost, and the 45.

It's also much more primitive. No.

Cal Smg should use 30 round magazines.

Which one? And why?
Real guns generally have real stats, but many of them exist in multiple variants, so I had to pick one.

Also black ops contact  should  probably come after contacting  the cult arms dealer as their stuff (Black ops)is most of the time superior.

It almost always does; cult dealers are significantly easier to get. Perhaps your playstyle leads to a different result, but it's not typical.

Ps: If I wanted to use TFTD damage formula or the 50-200, would  I need to modify  each weapon  entry or it is stored elsewhere?

You'd have to modify each entry (except for explosives, which as 50-150% by nature).
Still, I don't recommend this, as the 0-200% model seems more realistic due to counterbalancing certain quirks in the X-Com mechanics (such as unit shapes being cylinders).

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: November 09, 2020, 12:48:04 pm »

Its possible to do it for yourself and its really easy, just go to the Document/OpenXcom/mods/XCOMfiles/Ruleset/vars and open it with any text editing editor.

There you will see all the options, whenever the game taunts you with them or not. You can also modify certain parameters there that the game doesnt even tell you, for example the threshold for enemies to activate the "bug hunt mode" where they start showing up on the minimap so you can activate it earlier or with more enemies present, this can save alot of time. This is not intended way to play the mod but its up to you, i myself play with the instant grenades and quicker bug hunt mode since that makes the mod more fun and explosives waaaaayyy more useful.