Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952830 times)

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.5.1: Around The World
« Reply #3795 on: September 25, 2020, 01:29:41 pm »

EDIT: So the mission spawned in but why do I have to take a mudranger?

I think you need a space capable craft for it. Mudranger apparently can do it but you are better off with Kitsune since it has massive range and can still carry tanks you will need.

And i mean, you really need them in this mission unless you have high-end armour (Power armour and up). I had sectopods (2x, because Ayys failed to destroy my base twice so i had something to work with). This might be the mission so far in the game with largest body count ever. If i remember correctly, it was either 76 or 96 enemies. On open plain, with almost no cover aside from few rocks, dunes and buildings but that is a long dash while you are in sight of 20-40 enemies at once. So i did well by using sectopods as cover for my troops but this mission took like a hour or two and i had to sped up the projectiles so i wont die of old age as 20-40 enemies will shoot their lasers at long range. Make sure to arm all of your troops with turbolaser weapons due to infinite ammo and the fact that they can incernate enemies so the Cyberwebs technolads wont have 2 lifes.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: September 25, 2020, 02:11:58 pm »
I think you need a space capable craft for it. Mudranger apparently can do it but you are better off with Kitsune since it has massive range and can still carry tanks you will need.

And i mean, you really need them in this mission unless you have high-end armour (Power armour and up). I had sectopods (2x, because Ayys failed to destroy my base twice so i had something to work with). This might be the mission so far in the game with largest body count ever. If i remember correctly, it was either 76 or 96 enemies. On open plain, with almost no cover aside from few rocks, dunes and buildings but that is a long dash while you are in sight of 20-40 enemies at once. So i did well by using sectopods as cover for my troops but this mission took like a hour or two and i had to sped up the projectiles so i wont die of old age as 20-40 enemies will shoot their lasers at long range. Make sure to arm all of your troops with turbolaser weapons due to infinite ammo and the fact that they can incernate enemies so the Cyberwebs technolads wont have 2 lifes.
Another good thing is to use MC on nearby Technolads and have them blow up themselves or other Technolads. Do this especialy if you do not have flight capable armors (Preferably Flying suits), or Juggernauts.
They love to throw their HE at you if they get the chance.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 25, 2020, 09:36:53 pm »
You misunderstand, on the Cyberweb Battleship mision I HAD to take a mudranger, even though I used an Avenger to get there, It's on the mission brief, I was wondering why Solaris decided to make it that way

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3798 on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:16 pm »
I thought people would like not having to start on a bloody open field?

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 26, 2020, 11:52:13 am »
You misunderstand, on the Cyberweb Battleship mision I HAD to take a mudranger, even though I used an Avenger to get there, It's on the mission brief, I was wondering why Solaris decided to make it that way

Before this change, you started in the crosshairs of 20-40 enemies the moment the game started, now you atleast have some cover so your tanks can roll out first to absorb reaction fire before your infantry will step out.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:56 pm »
I thought people would like not having to start on a bloody open field?
Okay but why not just the player start with their selected landing craft? Too op?

To be fair though at least with my progress in the game the mission was a breeze, power armor and stormtrooper armor plus heavy plasma and fusion bomb launchers does that

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: September 26, 2020, 01:14:42 pm »
Okay but why not just the player start with their selected landing craft? Too op?

How the hell would you move A GODDAMN AVENGER through those pink cave tunnels???

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: September 26, 2020, 01:16:54 pm »
How the hell would you move A GODDAMN AVENGER through those pink cave tunnels???
Fair point I forgot about the tunnels

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: September 26, 2020, 02:33:51 pm »
Yeah, the Mudranger, the base, etc. had to be dragged to the other side in parts. All of it.

(And you'd think the agents have it rough...)

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 26, 2020, 07:41:48 pm »
Yeah, the Mudranger, the base, etc. had to be dragged to the other side in parts. All of it.
I always wondered why when you go defend the outpost it's abandoned, I thought at least some people would be stranded or something.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: September 26, 2020, 08:44:21 pm »
I always wondered why when you go defend the outpost it's abandoned, I thought at least some people would be stranded or something.

Because I never felt like making the crew... :(

Offline Alexofthatilk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: September 27, 2020, 01:02:50 am »
i am some way into the game and cannot seem to make, or find Ion Beam Acceleration, got one off a cyberweb base and researched it, and now i need two for the ironfist, but cant seem to make them (i have plastics and zrbite, just no option) and the USOs i encounter don't seem to have any, just aqua plastics and zrbite canisters. am i missing something?

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: September 27, 2020, 08:39:41 am »
Oh thank goodness on the cyberweb mission. I am so glad to hear there's some cover now.

I've been getting a friend to play this and it really makes me want to play it again right now. I've been messing with a bunch of other mods, and much as I love stuff like the Long War, there's really nothing that offers as much as classic Xcom, especially this one. :)

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: September 27, 2020, 06:34:30 pm »
So to actually do the mission do I need to let it land or just try to shoot it down without destroying it?

EDIT: So the mission spawned in but why do I have to take a mudranger?

IIRC Solarious wanted to make it slightly less useless. Don't worry, one will be provided for you to deploy in regardless of what you actually use to get your troops to the site.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: September 27, 2020, 07:22:53 pm »
Hi, i want to talk about undercover missions. Is it just me or are they not worth pursuing at all? I noticed the following.

1) Not being able to retreat from them adds a huge risk, especially early in the game when you only have space for 2 agents in the transport vehicle.

1a) This risk is even bigger when it's the first time you go on a specific type of undercover mission, since you don't know what to expect.

2) The penalty for not going on those missions is very low, and i don't recall the rewards being anything impressive (early game at least, dunno about later on)

So with these things combined, undercover missions just seem like too big a hassle to bother with. Has anyone else noticed this, or am i missing something?