aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950480 times)

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.5: Shot in The Dark
« Reply #3765 on: September 01, 2020, 01:30:20 am »
That brings back some unpleasant memories. Especially since my A-team was out at the time and the Syndies decided to bring in a few dozen rocket launchers and Minotaurs just for the occasion.

I just lost three of my elite soldiers to those rockets damn lol.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.5.1: Around The World
« Reply #3766 on: September 01, 2020, 10:50:55 am »
This makes gameplay sense, but not "story" sense. Why would they attack with only knives and pistols when they somehow got the info about X-Com base? Leader of one just said: "Hey! Lets make it fair for them, am I right, guys?".

1998 and 1999 aren't some post-apocaliptic times even in X-COM world, its still very much civilised, why would there be some roaming gangs of maruders walking trough remote areas just to "stumble across" X-COM base? Base that is super secret, not Area-51 style, with wire fence and signs that "you are entering territory of X-COM, or things like that".

How could animals just "broke the gate" to underground super secret paramilitary base backed by the UN?

All these are valid arguments. However, for the sake, of accuracy, this part is not exactly true:

How could mutants just "broke the cage" when you might not even have one during the event? What stops this "base attack" happening to a base where there isn't even a cell building present?

For some time now, you can make a mission script which checks for a presence of an item or facility in the base - therefore only fire a "Chryssalid overrun your base!" mission if you actually have a captive Chryssalid. However, this is an imprecise tool: missions are generated at the start of month, so for example if you get rid of the Chryssalid on the 8th of March, the mission may still launch on the 23rd of March, because that's when it was determined to happen at the beginning of March. Therefore, it would be wonky and I wouldn't want to use it.

Another interesting question is:
Why does X-Com get a super secret base at the start of this mod?

The UN has very little faith in X-Com, gives it a small budget, almost no weapons and everyone expects it to fail miserably. X-Com files should start in some old unconditioned administrative building and get the super secret base later.

Yes, I am fully aware that it is not possible to do the above due to the engine and etc. It is just random musings.

It's a limitation really. In my ideal world, X-Com would start with a small military surface installation - literally several buildings - and then develop slowly towards the underground base. For now, not possible, at least not the way I want, so I guess the Council has many unused vaults to give to whomever needs a crib. Also, what Just The Dude said - it's not that big.

Offline stn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.5: Shot in The Dark
« Reply #3767 on: September 01, 2020, 11:25:30 am »
Why would they attack with only knives and pistols when they somehow got the info about X-Com base?
No one has received information about the X-Com base. A random group accidentally discovered the object.
Why  "knives and pistols"? I already wrote about this. I will not repeat.
How could animals just "broke the gate" to underground super secret paramilitary base backed by the UN?
Lol. I already wrote about this.
Overall, you all have literall Mod creator posting things above about those concepts and he is the one to decide what fits the narrative and what doesn't.
I know. Do not worry about that. :)

I guess nothing stops you from trying to make a mod that adds it, probably.
Don't worry about that either. :lol: Restless man. )
There are people who do this. They do submods and I use that. But I will not discuss this here.
I expressed the idea, it turned out to be bad, which means it will not be accepted. No problems. I don't discuss it anymore.

Offline ShavedDave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: September 02, 2020, 09:33:59 am »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have almost got through my first play-through of this amazing mod. Sadly I am completely stuck - I have researched the lunar control room and built it, I then manufactured the satellite launch but now I cannot progress. According to the wiki the lunar control room should have unlocked the service 'sat lab' but I don't appear to have this tech nor the ability to research it. I can't progress any satellite/ moon related tech so I am at a complete dead end.

I have attached my save game so you can see where I am at. Any help would be massively appreciated as I am so close to the end and would like to finish this mod without having to start afresh if possible  ;).

Cheers,
Dave

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: September 02, 2020, 10:32:38 am »
Maybe when installing the latest version some things will be triggered...  8)

Offline ShavedDave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: September 02, 2020, 10:55:13 am »
oh lordy, you weren't wrong!

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: September 02, 2020, 12:03:25 pm »
It's a limitation really. In my ideal world, X-Com would start with a small military surface installation - literally several buildings - and then develop slowly towards the underground base. For now, not possible, at least not the way I want, so I guess the Council has many unused vaults to give to whomever needs a crib. Also, what Just The Dude said - it's not that big.

Or the basement of an old crumbling factory. The supply teams will be disguised as scrapping company.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: September 02, 2020, 12:48:46 pm »
Why says that it isn't a basement of some old crumbling factory?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: September 02, 2020, 12:58:19 pm »
I think the most practical solution is a small, unassuming military installation. Nothing that would attract attention, more like a side branch of some logistics chain or a third rate weapon storage site. There are thousands of such places, they blend in well with the neighbourhood and they don't look weird when actually guarded.

I've seen crumbling factories and they're just not a good place to hide anything, as they're teeming with all sorts of people, like metal thieves, souvenir collectors, homeless, drunkards, architecture students or adventurous teenagers. Not a good place to hide anything secret.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: September 02, 2020, 03:06:35 pm »
In the Gerry Anderson TV series called 'UFO' the organisation of S.H.A.D.O. (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation), which was similar to XCOM in their purpose, was based underneath a film studio.

http://ufoseries.com/

(Edited to clear-up a confusing statement, and to add the link)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:53:18 pm by Jimboman »

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:49 pm »
Just another thought.  I live near a university and I've always thought it would be an ideal place for a 'secret base' of a sort.  After all, they have people coming and going at all hours, it has the research labs and the large library area as well.  It wouldn't be great for a 'military' organisation obviously, but the initial HQ base would work.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: September 05, 2020, 01:09:15 pm »
How would supersonic fighters be deployed unnoticed, though? :)

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: September 05, 2020, 09:00:32 pm »
How would supersonic fighters be deployed unnoticed, though? :)

Like I said, a uni wouldn't be any good for the military aspect, but maybe as research base.  Of course the underground portion would have to be built in secret, but like the S.H.I.E.L.D BASE in 'Avengers Assemble' it could have a long tunnel for road vehicles to enter and leave.  Once X-COM start using helicopters and craft like the Osprey things would get a little more complicated.  That's why my second base was built in Nevada and called 'Area 51'!!

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: September 08, 2020, 06:21:53 pm »
what's up with the elusive informer in the shady bar? i've never met him (4 visits thus far) and now even the dreaded men in black want to have some cold beers...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: September 08, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
Well, better luck next time!