Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949523 times)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2670 on: August 09, 2019, 02:18:20 pm »
I'm understood, thank you!
Will I be able to generate income in the future by producing something in the workshops?
Because right now I have hired 3 engineers so that they open the boxes with weapons and ammunition (an interesting idea).
But I have nothing to produce for sale.

Of course! Producing in workshops will become main source of money. It would be a good strategy to build one base for industrial specialization with 2-3 large workshops. It's not only profitable but useful for urgent producing of something big like aircrafts.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 09, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »
Yes, I think so too, thanks.
But so far I have only 2 bases: in Europe and North America, and the last base is still undeveloped. I want to save up money for the Biolaboratory to add scientists and study special projects. Therefore, I have stress with money.
I like missions with Zombies - they are quite easy to kill, their corpses are quite expensive and this is a good source of income.

Sometimes small UFOs fly, which land for a short time. But I was afraid to get in touch with them, because I’m still underdeveloped ...
Or maybe they are not so scary and you can send a mission?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 09, 2019, 03:48:07 pm »
Yes, I think so too, thanks.
But so far I have only 2 bases: in Europe and North America, and the last base is still undeveloped. I want to save up money for the Biolaboratory to add scientists and study special projects. Therefore, I have stress with money.
I like missions with Zombies - they are quite easy to kill, their corpses are quite expensive and this is a good source of income.

Sometimes small UFOs fly, which land for a short time. But I was afraid to get in touch with them, because I’m still underdeveloped ...
Or maybe they are not so scary and you can send a mission?

Well, it depends of difficulty and your tactical mastery. I play on superhuman and If you ask me, I'd recommend to skip them until you can send at least 8 well-trained agents with ceramic armor and weapon with 30 or more damage (good tactics - 3 snipers (100+ accuracy) with sniper rifles (to make one-shot kills in open space)/ Keep in mind that 3-4 aliens will be waiting for you inside of UFO, so take a 2-3 of your men with shotguns (CAWS is the best). Other units just for scouting and providing squadsight. If you are not confident, just skip them and wait till you get large craft like OSPREY with large team.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 09, 2019, 03:54:00 pm »
I read your answer and understanded that it’s too early for me to launch UFO missions. Thank!
I follow the forum, read the changes in the versions, periodically start playing this wonderful mod, play for a while, and then switch to some other game. Vicious circle )

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 09, 2019, 04:37:24 pm »
I read your answer and understanded that it’s too early for me to launch UFO missions. Thank!
I follow the forum, read the changes in the versions, periodically start playing this wonderful mod, play for a while, and then switch to some other game. Vicious circle )

Nothing else is worth your attention except X-Files ;) This mod totally catched me.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 09, 2019, 05:48:53 pm »
too early for me to launch UFO missions.

There's no such thing.

If you manage to capture a Sectoid corpse in the first 5 hours of the game, that can be a huge boon to research. If you lose 3 rookie agents on average and get one plasma gun, the missions are pure gain as you can buy 5 rookies with that money. UFO missions are absolutely worth it at every phase in the game.

But more than that, it's best to send a crew to EVERY mission. Even if you plan to abort on the first turn, the experience gains from even getting a single kill is very high, and aborting a mission is instant. ALWAYS send a squad to a mission if able. Only exception is the missions with no evac, if your chance of survival is particularly low. Meaning beach, party, snow, etc. Participate in every mission (except those), abort up to half of them if you need to.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:54:47 pm by Bobit »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: August 09, 2019, 06:25:37 pm »
There's no such thing.

If you manage to capture a Sectoid corpse in the first 5 hours of the game, that can be a huge boon to research. If you lose 3 rookie agents on average and get one plasma gun, the missions are pure gain as you can buy 5 rookies with that money. UFO missions are absolutely worth it at every phase in the game.

But more than that, it's best to send a crew to EVERY mission. Even if you plan to abort on the first turn, the experience gains from even getting a single kill is very high, and aborting a mission is instant. ALWAYS send a squad to a mission if able. Only exception is the missions with no evac, if your chance of survival is particularly low. Meaning beach, party, snow, etc. Participate in every mission (except those), abort up to half of them if you need to.

That's a biiiiiiig roulette, man... If you are not playing on the beginner difficulty, of course ;)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2677 on: August 09, 2019, 08:22:03 pm »
Durathread Factory Showdown: 
(superhuman/ironman)

I got this crazy idea from the Indian and Chinese people:

and stormed the Durathread Factory with everybody I got, dogs, droids, chickens, hamsters and all!!       CHAAARGEE!!!   

- Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!

I  think, this battle will be fun. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:58:54 pm by mercy »

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 09, 2019, 09:03:39 pm »
That's a biiiiiiig roulette, man... If you are not playing on the beginner difficulty, of course ;)

Explain how exactly? The only way you can get your soldiers killed is by 1) reaction fire, which is often only lethal on base or alien missions, or 2) passing the turn (when in visible danger or a monster hunt).

This mod has a few very hard missions but many of them are perfectly safe. I can't really imagine how you guys get by without all that exp. My capped agents who've never been on unsafe missions are a godsend.

Also there's like no lose condition for the first half. Why would you play on anything but superhuman?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:16:18 pm by Bobit »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 09, 2019, 10:31:11 pm »
Explain how exactly? The only way you can get your soldiers killed is by 1) reaction fire, which is often only lethal on base or alien missions, or 2) passing the turn (when in visible danger or a monster hunt).

This mod has a few very hard missions but many of them are perfectly safe. I can't really imagine how you guys get by without all that exp. My capped agents who've never been on unsafe missions are a godsend.

Also there's like no lose condition for the first half. Why would you play on anything but superhuman?

There are a lof danger situations at pre-invasion stage of the game. Danger is depend from drop point of your craft. You could land and be surrounded inicially, and nothing could be done exept abandoning such mess. Hunting for aliens with 4-5 units in kevlar and with Glocks is a roulette. Moreover, there could be a few UFOs in befofe 1999 year (Godlike random). For example, in my current campaign I'm in october 1998 and I had before only two UFOs landing in early 1997 , which were too far to rich them by cars (they,ve just fled away before I got them). Thanks to random I've catched a roaming group of 4 antropods, so I was able to reserach and build alien containment before 1999. If you are so lucky to assault UFOs so often to gain exp and loot from it... Well, you are goddamn lucky, man! :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:34:05 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 10, 2019, 12:16:36 am »
You could land and be surrounded inicially, and nothing could be done exept abandoning such mess.

Agreed. I abandon ~50%. Many of those are before the enemy gets a turn, a few are even before I take a turn.

Hunting for aliens with 4-5 units in kevlar and with Glocks is a roulette.

4-5 in kevlar is missing the point. I've suceeded with 2 rookies, both in suits. Of course you bring as many as possible though. The goal is to take a single alien corpse, worth more than double their lives. Wearing kevlar gives maybe a 5% extra chance to survive here, it's not worth the $, much less the TU loss on rookies. I don't bring meds either, just the heaviest weaponry you can get for <10k. Even though the sectoids can frequently 180 and oneshot your soldiers after getting shot, if they miss or you brought a lot of men you can kill one of them in 1-2 turns after spotting them. If they shoot at you and you don't see them, you abort, because you won't be able to overwhelm them. And this will more or less be true whether you send 2 men or 6 after them, hence why doing it with 2 is not so bad: you only win through a lucky surprise attack anyways.

There's definitely a luck factor in getting enough UFO spawns, especially if you don't have a ready private car. Solaris plans to change that though. Anthropods do seem a bit easier, insanely durable but at least they don't kill/notice all your agents before you can react as often.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:20:36 am by Bobit »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 10, 2019, 12:45:54 am »
Even though the sectoids can frequently 180 and oneshot your soldiers after getting shot, if they miss or you brought a lot of men you can kill one of them in 1-2 turns after spotting them. If they shoot at you and you don't see them, you abort, because you won't be able to overwhelm them. And this will more or less be true whether you send 2 men or 6 after them, hence why doing it with 2 is not so bad: you only win through a lucky surprise attack anyways.
Sectoids have way higher reaction stats than any rookies you could possibly lay your hands on, and you won't be able to one-shot (or probably even two-shot) them with any of the early game weapons since your rookies won't have high enough accuracy/reactions for the weapon bonuses to matter.

However, Sectoids are terrible at melee. Instead of trying to shoot them in the back - which more often than not will end up getting your agents killed - stab them in the back. Or the side. Doesn't really matter as long as you manage to get into CQC range.

Offline Jwinsler

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2682 on: August 10, 2019, 06:35:49 pm »
Is there a way for me to change the 1999 date to something later?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 10, 2019, 08:07:14 pm »
Take a look at the vars.rul, i think the starting date should be in there.

Offline Jwinsler

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:31 pm »
Take a look at the vars.rul, i think the starting date should be in there.

Thanks, found it.