aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952472 times)

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2655 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:10 pm »
There is no mistake - it IS the night (I've been waiting for full dark cover). Assault screen had a small moon. It seems that game mechanics does not work or AI units have some cheats at superhuman difficulty... Same shit with smokes: my units have a vision penalty, enemies' haven't. All these bugs/features decrease tactical variety... This is very sad.
Some enemies are scouts and will provide squadsight for enemies defined as snipers, its a feature.
Also there is a fire in 9~ tile radius, your unit is visible.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 08, 2019, 04:44:27 pm »
Some enemies are scouts and will provide squadsight for enemies defined as snipers, its a feature.
Also there is a fire in 9~ tile radius, your unit is visible.

Wow, I thought AI can use direct line of sight only :o I got the point, thanks!

Still, I don't know WTF with smokes... How to use them it the right way? It should be a good defensive device, but enemy can see my soldiers through it! Look at my screenshot in the post above, please.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:50:09 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: August 08, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »
Wow, I thought AI can use direct line of sight only :o I got the point, thanks!

Still, I don't know WTF with smokes... How to use them it the right way? It should be a good defensive device, but enemy can see my soldiers through it! Look at my screenshot in the post above, please.
There is not enough smoke there, smoke has like 9 levels of density and you need about 3 (almost) fully stacked tiles to break line of sight. There is no way to tell exact density on glance, (and there are different smoke sprites nowdays) so its all about your experience with smokescreen tactics.
Scout-snipers will get you through smoke, and thermovisors will ignore about 30-40% of smoke (if there are any in xcom files), so youll have to adjust your habits for those as well.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 08, 2019, 06:51:38 pm »
There is not enough smoke there, smoke has like 9 levels of density and you need about 3 (almost) fully stacked tiles to break line of sight. There is no way to tell exact density on glance, (and there are different smoke sprites nowdays) so its all about your experience with smokescreen tactics.
Scout-snipers will get you through smoke, and thermovisors will ignore about 30-40% of smoke (if there are any in xcom files), so youll have to adjust your habits for those as well.

Looks unpromising... In vanilla UFO and Final Mod Pack smoke was the first thing you should do at the landing place to hide yor first moves. Now its useless even against humans. Very strange...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:45:56 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 08, 2019, 07:49:54 pm »

Look here http://prntscr.com/oq5egz How would you manage such situation if there were not this puny Dagon fanatics, but elite Red Dawn or EXALTs soldiers?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 08, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »
Look here http://prntscr.com/oq5egz How would you manage such situation if there were not this puny Dagon fanatics, but elite Red Dawn or EXALTs soldiers?
Are you playing on superhuman?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 08, 2019, 08:41:20 pm »
Are you playing on superhuman?

Yes. I've done this assault about 10 minutes ago. I'm just wondering about some ideas how to use smokes in such situations correctly... If it could be so, ofc  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:43:46 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:12 pm »
Yes. I've done this assault about 10 minutes ago. I'm just wondering about some ideas how to use smokes in such situations correctly... If it could be so, ofc  :)
Please keep in mind that the mod is not balanced for superhuman difficulty.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 08, 2019, 09:43:50 pm »
Please keep in mind that the mod is not balanced for superhuman difficulty.

What do you mean it's not balanced? How could it ever be? Difficulty only adds more enemy soldiers and increases their stats, aren't it? What exactly changes this mod so you decide it is unbalanced?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 09, 2019, 12:15:36 am »
What do you mean it's not balanced? How could it ever be? Difficulty only adds more enemy soldiers and increases their stats, aren't it? What exactly changes this mod so you decide it is unbalanced?

Ending up with enemies that you basically can't harm with most weapons, them appearing before you can have access to such weapons etc.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 09, 2019, 12:34:28 am »
Not me saying it, Solarius has stated multiple times that everyone playing this at Superhuman shouldn't complain about 'unfair' missions. Again, unit stats etc. aren't balanced for anything beyond experienced.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 09, 2019, 06:56:38 am »
Not me saying it, Solarius has stated multiple times that everyone playing this at Superhuman shouldn't complain about 'unfair' missions. Again, unit stats etc. aren't balanced for anything beyond experienced.

I'm not complaining about 'unfair' missions. I'm complaining about broken mechanics of using smokes. Such thing forces to abandon missions in situations like I've pictured in my post above. If there were elite Red Dawn or EXALT I'd like to abandon mission instantly, because of 1-2 grenades which are using by RD and EX regulary will put the point in this question :D

I've met just one 'unfair' mission before (in my last walkthrough of 0.9.9c) when there was attack to my base in August of 1999. Sectoids and cyberdisks are normal and destructable by default weapons, but only one sectopod - SECTOPOD with sectoids in 1999 :o - ruined all my efforts, so the base was lost. But for that moment I thought it is some kind of feature: inevitable loosing of base or smth like that. Now I know it is not a feature, but 'unfairness' of the mod ;D

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 09, 2019, 12:00:17 pm »
Comrades, tell me, please:
1. If I sit down, will it be harder to hit me?
2. If you hide behind a tree or other object, does it somehow affect the probability of getting into me?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 09, 2019, 12:10:16 pm »
Comrades, tell me, please:
1. If I sit down, will it be harder to hit me?
2. If you hide behind a tree or other object, does it somehow affect the probability of getting into me?

In my humble game experience (IMHGE):
1. No. It's just increasing your accuracy. This also decreasing your height, so if you have appropriate obstacle ahead, your unit will be lost in sight.
2. No. If enemy see you, his accuracy does not change, but I think that elevation do. If you are upper than enemy (on the hill, for example), he has lesser chances to hit. The same is for your soldiers.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:15:13 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 09, 2019, 12:36:04 pm »
I'm understood, thank you!
Will I be able to generate income in the future by producing something in the workshops?
Because right now I have hired 3 engineers so that they open the boxes with weapons and ammunition (an interesting idea).
But I have nothing to produce for sale.