Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952180 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2640 on: August 07, 2019, 05:40:00 pm »
Beach / Swimsuit mission: no escape  (Superhuman/ironman)

What is the purpose of this mission?  Four of my agents are allowed in swimsuits. There were at least 8 gang members with automatic weapons and they moved down my squad.  I had dart rifles and managed to tranquilize two of them.
As has been stated many times before, the game isn't balanced for superhuman - it's balanced for experienced/veteran. As for the purpose, was does the mission description say?

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 07, 2019, 06:55:52 pm »
As for the purpose, was does the mission description say?
Mission briefing said handle the situation, but if something goes wrong, there is no extraction for your team..

As has been stated many times before, the game isn't balanced for superhuman - it's balanced for experienced/veteran. As for the purpose, was does the mission description say?
Ah, I missed that completely! I love the crazy mayhem of superhuman. Couple missions ago I encountered an EXALT place  that must have been some kind of an HQ, because there were 30 of them, from that at least 6 "goons" with body armor and 4 special forces in armored black suits - who could shoot very well with frightening sounding high caliber weaponry. My team was decimated. Thanks to maxed out Gym training for 4 of my agents in bio suits with  Nitro rifles and the rest with shotguns+AP ammo, four of us survived. That fight was amazing!

As was the zombie plague outbreak that has the super epic, massively amazing soundtrack, which I think was specially designated for zombie killing. That was awesome experience!! If X-Com Files were on Steam that zombie mission music experience would be a major talking point and a big contributor for increased sales and positive reviews. Whoever chose that soundtrack would create fantastic games at a development company.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:05:56 pm by mercy »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2642 on: August 07, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
SMOKES!!!

Is there any hope for the fixing of smoke grenades? Typical situation: my agents sitting in the smoked area, and MY guys can't see anything while enemies can see them and shoot with no penalty accuracy! WTF??? Look at this http://prntscr.com/opoflg
He can see me and I can't! How could that be???

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:45:28 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 07, 2019, 07:56:24 pm »
Beach / Swimsuit mission: no escape  (Superhuman/ironman)

What is the purpose of this mission?  Four of my agents are allowed in swimsuits. There were at least 8 gang members with automatic weapons and they moved down my squad.  I had dart rifles and managed to tranquilize two of them.

I've done the mod (ver. 0.9.9c with superhuman/ironman). Its difficult but completable:) Now playing 0.9.0e.
The The purpose is to kill all Osiron's members and capture some alien artifacts. Try to capture one of these bad guys and interrogate him - it will open a very interesting and profitable line of missions ;) 

The main trouble which could be on that mission is the bad spawn point (too close to bad boys). The good tactics is to take knives and tasers, make an ambush in starting house near double doors, close them and wait till enemies come inside. To do so successfully you need to take agents with good melee accuracy and strength. If you train them at the gym before, so that shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:00:14 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 07, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »
Yeah, with higher difficulties things can end up getting a bit nasty. As for the music, the used tracks are in the readme if you want to have a look.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:20 pm »
The Doom  music X-COM Files is a variant of Doom's entry theme that I cannot recognize, as it has sounds of shotguns, fighting and monsters grunting to accompany the melody, so it's not the standard theme. The readme mentions the author, but not the name of this variant.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 08, 2019, 12:22:43 am »
I've done the mod (ver. 0.9.9c with superhuman/ironman). Its difficult but completable:) Now playing 0.9.0e.
The The purpose is to kill all Osiron's members and capture some alien artifacts. Try to capture one of these bad guys and interrogate him - it will open a very interesting and profitable line of missions ;) 

The main trouble which could be on that mission is the bad spawn point (too close to bad boys). The good tactics is to take knives and tasers, make an ambush in starting house near double doors, close them and wait till enemies come inside. To do so successfully you need to take agents with good melee accuracy and strength. If you train them at the gym before, so that shouldn't be a problem.
That sounds like a professional strategy! I'll try it next time.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 08, 2019, 12:32:05 am »
Going by that logic you should get all the loot when you destroy an invading UFO, because otherwise you would get 'punished' for having built enough air defense to avoid the base defense. You could make the same argument in regards to shot down UFOs: You should be able to recover all of the components, otherwise you're being punished because you were able to shoot it down in the first place. Logic much?
Yes. Logic much. Because you set up false equivalence. There's considerable difference between shooting UFO down as it is required to be able to salvage it if it doesn't land (in the geoscape view) and acquiring items of UFO personnel if you thin their numbers. The same there's a difference between destroying UFO on approach toward one's base to save said base and benefitting less from succesfully fended off raid because you were unable to destroy that UFO, but managed to damage it.

And certainly there's difference between any of the above and demanding all parts of every shot down UFO. If you want to ask for such, it's your right (though I doubt it'll get far). I don't and I don't plan to.

The whole point of a base defense mission is not the loot, and you're not getting 'punished' by having to fight less aliens.
Yes, you're not getting punished by fighting fewer aliens but you certainly benefit less from fending off the aliens that do attack if you were already able to eradicate intact UFO's personnel.

The point of a base defense missions is to not lose the base. Your reward is that you keep the base, and having to fight less aliens makes that easier (or for a shorter base defense mission, anyway).
No, losing a base is condition of failure. Not failing isn't whole of the reward all in itself and even if you consider it as such, it's on you. The fact is that there's still something to gain beside continuous survival from base raids and so how much is gained under what circumstances is of some importance.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:45:48 am by justaround »

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 08, 2019, 08:41:30 am »
If you feel you can defeat everything in a base defense, you can just disable the defenses you don't want to.use.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:11 am »
Night missions

I'm always wait till daytime to begin mission... Today I've decided to go into the NIGH. And what is the result? Have a look http://prntscr.com/opvznx

Here is my soldier. He had shooted at frontal enemy and catched reaction shoot from the right corner. What does it mean? The night does not give you any tactical advantage, so the nightvision of drones and biosuits is useless. AI soldiers are cheaters ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 08, 2019, 10:13:45 am »
Yes. Logic much. Because you set up false equivalence. There's considerable difference between shooting UFO down as it is required to be able to salvage it if it doesn't land (in the geoscape view) and acquiring items of UFO personnel if you thin their numbers. The same there's a difference between destroying UFO on approach toward one's base to save said base and benefitting less from succesfully fended off raid because you were unable to destroy that UFO, but managed to damage it.
I honestly don't see the difference then - in both cases you're asking for free loot for aliens you didn't fight and who might not have spawned in the first place (seeing how the numbers aren't fixed). And how is shooting down an UFO to salvage it any different from the case we're talking about here? In both cases the UFO get's damages, parts of it are destroyed and crew members are killed. Why should you benefit more from one than from the other?

Again, going by your (or OP's) logic, we should be able to also salvage the UFO after a base assault - which is ridiculous. Otherwise, how exactely do the bodies and equipment end up in our bases? The aliens literally have to drag their dead comrades and their equipment into our hangars. Why would they do that?

Yes, you're not getting punished by fighting fewer aliens but you certainly benefit less from fending off the aliens that do attack if you were already able to eradicate intact UFO's personnel.
I don't see why you should benefit from base attacks at all. In my oppinion there should be no 'free loot' either.

No, losing a base is condition of failure. Not failing isn't whole of the reward all in itself and even if you consider it as such, it's on you. The fact is that there's still something to gain beside continuous survival from base raids and so how much is gained under what circumstances is of some importance.
Yes, losing a base 'is condition of failure' - not losing it means you won. That's the point. The loot is entirely optional and (should) not (be) the point of the mission.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 08, 2019, 10:18:24 am »
Here is my soldier. He had shooted at frontal enemy and catched reaction shoot from the right corner. What does it mean? The night does not give you any tactical advantage, so the nightvision of drones and biosuits is useless. AI soldiers are cheaters ;)
Judging by the sight radius you didn't attack at night though. Check the 'assault'-popup you get when your craft reaches the site - if it doesn't have a small moon in it you're attacking at daylight conditions.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 08, 2019, 10:58:49 am »
Judging by the sight radius you didn't attack at night though. Check the 'assault'-popup you get when your craft reaches the site - if it doesn't have a small moon in it you're attacking at daylight conditions.

There is no mistake - it IS the night (I've been waiting for full dark cover). Assault screen had a small moon. It seems that game mechanics does not work or AI units have some cheats at superhuman difficulty... Same shit with smokes: my units have a vision penalty, enemies' haven't. All these bugs/features decrease tactical variety... This is very sad.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:14 pm »
I love this mayhem! A huge zombie army.
(Superhuman/ironman)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 08, 2019, 12:42:46 pm »