Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950244 times)

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.6: Tales of The Abyss
« Reply #2160 on: November 14, 2018, 08:24:07 pm »
So true. I remember watching the starving poet's let's play for this mod - whole second video was only him reading the UFOPEDIA (first video is introduction). I did the same. Just read though it, its really interesting read and nicely done.

Offline Valken

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:27 am »
So I cleared that mission and I wanted to point out some discrepancies but it may be base on my first play through for the Industrial Investigations mission:

1) I cannot find the filter for weapons or gears under a mission specific parameter.
2) I did NOT research other captured cult yet so that may be it. I just built my biolab finally so that may be why #1 was not working yet.
3) Under Ufopaedia, the pistols listed as concealable did not apply to that mission so there must be another filter somewhere. I probably need to do more research with the captured specimens to unlock the tech tree.
4) I figured it out by carrying all the weapons in my inventory to the mission and letting the mission filter out the non allowed weapons. I did complete the objective based on this.

Over all, it felt like a loop trap where some of the weapons listed as concealable cannot be used, from my inventory, and the current mission came up maybe earlier  than my tech tree had allowed.

It was an improvised assault which I completed and that was half of the fun figuring out how to get buy in those situations.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: November 16, 2018, 09:14:39 am »
Labor Items is the thing you are looking for.

Offline Valken

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 16, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice Niewiem! I may go back to replay it for fun. :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2164 on: November 17, 2018, 05:13:03 pm »
Industrial Investigations doesn't use the concealable category, but the labour gear. It's expressly stated in the description!

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 17, 2018, 05:52:53 pm »
I also remember that in industrial missions i would be able to find 1 or 2 melee weapons close to starting position. You can use those to whack some enemies and acquire their weapons. Just saying.  ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 17, 2018, 06:19:39 pm »
I also remember that in industrial missions i would be able to find 1 or 2 melee weapons close to starting position. You can use those to whack some enemies and acquire their weapons. Just saying.  ;D

Very good. ;D

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
Very good. ;D
In fact, you can not use wrench until research it. Strange...

Also, here is a bit more "alien" pink desert.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 19, 2018, 05:39:21 pm »
Just started a new game in 0.9.6 and i have a question:

Am i supposed to feel bad for stabbing sectoids in the back on those very early alien landing sites? I just murdered two whole ufo crews using nothing but knifes and flashlights. One of those little monsters even walked through an access door and turned his back to my agent. Like he was asking to get shivved. Not that i'm complaining - in my last playthrough i got two excavators early game where the higher ranked sectoids panicked and/or controlled half my agents every turn. It just felt very cathartic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:44:21 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 19, 2018, 05:44:30 pm »
#SectoidLivesMatter

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: November 19, 2018, 07:27:22 pm »
In fact, you can not use wrench until research it. Strange...

Hmm, looks fine on my end, but maybe I fixed it already.

Also, here is a bit more "alien" pink desert.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. Thank you! It's a great surprise present.

Just started a new game in 0.9.6 and i have a question:

Am i supposed to feel bad for stabbing sectoids in the back on those very early alien landing sites? I just murdered two whole ufo crews using nothing but knifes and flashlights. One of those little monster even walked through an access door and turned his back to my agent. Like he was asking to get shivved. Not that i'm complaining - in my last playthrough i got two excavators early game where the higher ranked sectoids panicked and/or controlled half my agents every turn. It just felt very cathartic.

I wish more players were like you. ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: November 19, 2018, 09:23:38 pm »

Victor wasn't entirely sure how to handle this situation. Last time he brought a flamethrower to the zoo the FBI got involved. Then again the mission briefing stated that his team was to neutralize any threats they encountered and he now technically outranked national law enforcement.

This was going to be a good day.

Victor took no pleasure in killing these creatures. How did that poor beast even get stuck in there in the first place? Alas, a job is a job and Victor was glad that his new employer had access to flamethrowers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:44:56 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Korenn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 19, 2018, 11:41:14 pm »
I'm playing an Xcom files campaign on Veteran, and today I was very busy with the kids so the game was just running with me taking a moment to play every now and then when the situation would let me.

And I noticed that after about 12-14 hours of running (computer was on all day), the game was stuttering and sluggish. Seemed like a memory leak to me, so I restarted the game to see if it was any better, and it was not. I'll try rebooting next, but it seemed report-worthy.

[EDIT] a reboot seems to have fixed the issue. I'd put it down to an OS problem, except that open Xcom was the only thing affected.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:44:11 pm by Korenn »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:20 am »
yeah oxce does not like being left running for extended periods on some machines. Its not the most well optimized engine,

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 20, 2018, 07:16:34 am »
... so I restarted the game to see if it was any better, and it was not. I'll try rebooting next,

[EDIT] a reboot seems to have fixed the issue. I'd put it down to an OS problem, except that open Xcom was the only thing affected.

the other game I play, Neverwinter Nights 2, is (reportedly) affected by a similar issue. Game becomes sluggish and stuttery based on how long the computer has been left running (reloading the game doesn't affect it). Apparently, there, it's caused by some sort of truncation of the timing variable on 64-bit systems ...

Fortunately, for Nwn2 players on 64-bit systems, someone coded up a frontend that corrects it [the "Client Extension"]

/just reporting, i have no idea what the nuts and bolts look like