aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2005699 times)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.7: Spectral Entities
« Reply #4815 on: November 13, 2022, 09:56:05 am »
Custom VSS Clip, the ammo for Natasha's Custom VSS has the following damage.

Code: [Select]
    power: 20
    damageBonus:
      reactions: 0.4
      firing: 0.36
      flatHundred: -0.20

Which translates to 20+0.4*Reactions+0.36*Firing Accuracy-20= 0+0.4*REA+0.36*ACC. The Wiki is correct.

I have no idea why Solarius decided to make it do 20 damage and then negate it rather than start with 0, nor why it has 0 base damage to begin with, but 0 base damage it has.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: November 13, 2022, 01:27:13 pm »
Because some screen do not calculate bonuses, and instead of 0 you have "average" value 20

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: November 16, 2022, 08:58:25 pm »
Hello!

I'm having some trouble with the tech tree viewer and I'm not sure what I have to do to proceed.
I want to research Alien Engineering and it looks to me as if I have all the prerequisites (marked in purple). Yet Alien Engineering is not available for research. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:06:48 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: November 16, 2022, 10:07:20 pm »
You are likely missing a building providing the "Std. Lab" service.

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: November 16, 2022, 10:13:25 pm »
Do you know what that refers to? I don't find anything like that in the tech tree. Is it the Science Laboratory that also exists in vanilla?
I could build a Bio Lab, but it says the research can also be performed when the HQ is present, so I guess it's not that one.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: November 16, 2022, 10:18:41 pm »
Don't know, someone more savvy in this mod will need to answer.

But uploading your saved game might be a good idea, in case my initial assumption is incorrect.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: November 16, 2022, 10:19:20 pm »
It's a modified version of the usual Science Laboratory that becomes available after Promo II. Your research workhorse for much of the early-mid game.

Note that there are a bunch of other 'laboratories' in the mod, several of which are also called 'X Laboratory', and none of which provide that exact requirement.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:22:41 pm by Juku121 »

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: November 16, 2022, 10:37:52 pm »
It's a modified version of the usual Science Laboratory that becomes available after Promo II. Your research workhorse for much of the early-mid game.

Note that there are a bunch of other 'laboratories' in the mod, several of which are also called 'X Laboratory', and none of which provide that exact requirement.

Ahh gotcha, it looks like I'm definitely missing that one then. I currently only have the Bio-Lab and the HQ for science.

I've seen the other labs in the techtree but it's not clear to me yet what their purpose is. But I guess I'll find out. Thanks for your answers.

Also I noticed that smoke grenades extinguish environmental fires, but not burning people. Are there any alternative to save burning people other than the TU costly fire extinguisher?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: November 16, 2022, 11:08:46 pm »
Other labs unlock more advanced research topics.

There are some other fire extinguishers which require some effort to access:
Spoiler:
Medical drones and extinguisher ammo for chemoguns/pistols.

Of course, the best way to survive being on fire is to be in an armour that's good enough against incendiary damage that you don't get set on fire in the first place. :P Hazmat and its cousins do that, but with drawbacks. After that, it's mostly some form of power armour, which takes a while to become available.

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:10 am »
Okay thanks, I'll lookout for those drones and chemoguns. The power armor is likely too far away. Even Personal Armor feels like it's incredibly far away still due to the promotion 3 requirements.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: November 18, 2022, 07:37:24 am »

It seems to me that it would be great to realize the ability to select items not only from one cell, but from a 3 *3 square with an agent in the center. There are a lot of things on the locations right on the scenery, shelves, tables. But it is impossible to take them without destroying the block. And because blocks often explode, or sometimes a thing is destroyed instead of destroying a block, then such a simple action as picking up an object turns out to be impossible.

Offline AmanitaVerna

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: November 18, 2022, 09:44:24 am »
I'm going to bet that's not something that could be done by a mod, and that such a feature would require changes to OXCE itself instead.

Offline Kitfox88

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: November 18, 2022, 08:24:22 pm »
Is it possible to apply the TFTD style damage mod to X-Com Files, or will that cause an issue or severely impact balance? I prefer the more reliable damage over chance miracles.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: November 18, 2022, 09:13:09 pm »
Not really, because XCF applies heavily customised damage randomisation to entire groups of weapons, one item at a time. So there is no single unified damage model anymore (not that there ever was but, you know, even less now :) ).

Technically, you could revert that - I have done something like it myself - but it would take several hours of drudgery and will require you to judge which weapon to change to what model of RNG, for dozens if not a few hundred entries.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 09:17:11 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Kitfox88

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: November 18, 2022, 09:15:13 pm »
Drat. It's just so discouraging when I get a hit and it does diddly squat, but I'll live with it.