Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949986 times)

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.6: Paranormal Activity
« Reply #4785 on: November 03, 2022, 06:50:26 pm »
Anyone else found music in one of the missions fun? Too bad this mission happened only once...

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: November 03, 2022, 08:58:26 pm »
For me, it was somewhat funny the first time, and tends to grate now on repeat play-throughs. It's a very hit-or-miss piece, either you love it or hate it. Possibly both. :)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: November 05, 2022, 11:14:00 am »
I have to say I am very impressed with this game. It is brilliantly thought out. I'm getting hammered though. Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with my difficulty level   ;D
But over all I'm really enjoy it a lot.

At first I was turned off by the contrast levels in this game (a lot of darkness). But now I realize it actually adds to the mystique of game. Allowing other features to play a part. Amazing work.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 11:16:49 am by Chuckebaby »

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: November 05, 2022, 01:05:22 pm »
I have to say I am very impressed with this game. It is brilliantly thought out. I'm getting hammered though. Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with my difficulty level   ;D
But over all I'm really enjoy it a lot.

At first I was turned off by the contrast levels in this game (a lot of darkness). But now I realize it actually adds to the mystique of game. Allowing other features to play a part. Amazing work.

You hopefully do know that there is a nightvision in the game, i originally thought so too, but not being able to see the terrain completely and where you are going or if you are going to accidentally fall down a high ground to some pit made me reconsider this aproach. By default it should be mapped to the SCROLL button, next to printscreen, pressing spacebar also temporially lights up the map as long as you hold it. This is only for you though, the nightvision doesnt apply to your agents, just the commander, they still will have a short detection radius depending on their night vision range.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: November 06, 2022, 11:47:34 am »
You hopefully do know that there is a nightvision in the game, i originally thought so too, but not being able to see the terrain completely and where you are going or if you are going to accidentally fall down a high ground to some pit made me reconsider this aproach. By default it should be mapped to the SCROLL button, next to printscreen, pressing spacebar also temporially lights up the map as long as you hold it. This is only for you though, the nightvision doesnt apply to your agents, just the commander, they still will have a short detection radius depending on their night vision range.

Hey thanks.
For a while I just held the spacebar down. I wasn't sure how sustainable that was going to be for the health of my finger  :-) .
Then I found the Scroll Lock option as you mentioned.
I've also researched flair gun and I believe flood lights.

I've also used the mag lights and flashlights but wasn't sure if there was a 2 hand penalty because right now, I suck lol. I need any advantage I can get.

Grateful for the tip.

Cheers

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: November 06, 2022, 03:52:08 pm »
There is night vision integrated.
As for maglites you can turn it on, then throw it away. In zombie missions surrounding your team with maglited is a good option.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: November 07, 2022, 03:40:30 am »
I'm at the mercy of waiting for promotions to pop up.

My other issue is I have the van and helicopter. But some missions are literally inches away before helicopter runs out of fuel and has to return.
Is my best option to use public transportation ?

Besides this, I love it. It's a fantastic game. I'm in May of 1998.

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: November 07, 2022, 05:26:57 pm »
Replaying this has always been a pleasure, as usual,  going 3 years. Started a new campaign just this week after a year from previous.  ;D

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: November 07, 2022, 06:56:20 pm »
I'm at the mercy of waiting for promotions to pop up.

My other issue is I have the van and helicopter. But some missions are literally inches away before helicopter runs out of fuel and has to return.
Is my best option to use public transportation ?

Besides this, I love it. It's a fantastic game. I'm in May of 1998.
Sometimes I used Land Rover, sometimes helicopter. You need Promotion 3?

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: November 07, 2022, 08:43:05 pm »
Sometimes I used Land Rover, sometimes helicopter. You need Promotion 3?

Is it possible to tell me how to get promotions?  I'm not asking for everything here, just small bit of advice. I've been researching but maybe I missed something.

Offline Advancement

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: November 07, 2022, 09:12:53 pm »
Is it possible to tell me how to get promotions?  I'm not asking for everything here, just small bit of advice. I've been researching but maybe I missed something.
Honestly I do not remember. Try pressing Q while in geoscape, then search for "promotion".

It says for 3 you need to finish with all cults, cyberweb, into the dark and some deep ones.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: November 07, 2022, 09:22:34 pm »
No, no.

Spoiler" Promo III":
It's being in a position to kill one cult and one of the rest (Alien Origins, Into the Dark, Deep One Communities or Cyberweb Portals). Gillmen are probably easiest.

Offline BMANH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: November 07, 2022, 11:49:14 pm »

For the first one, get acquainted with the cults and strange animals. For the second, get the whole gang together. The General Strategy reports have good clues imo.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:52:02 pm by BMANH »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4798 on: November 08, 2022, 06:05:55 pm »
As a side note, MHO is that Thanatonautian Manus from recent update is waay OP - when used by Psi-capable Agent, it surpasses even the Plasma Destroyer given Psi damage type and general armor ineffectiveness against it, while being much more accessible to use through research. I`d say it needs about an order of magnitude of nerfing, to do 10% damage to health and 100% to morale.

Won't it just make it even better? :) Captures instead of kills!
I'm comparing it with the Flame Glove and it's not that great... I need more testing...

Also, all three anti-ghost weapons would really benefit if manufacturing them *and* their ammo was possible, either directly or after additional research, using Ectoplasm as a material requirement.

We have some plans in this regard. :)

Also kudos to the music track. Great work. Who did this ?
I'm a musician and also a mastering engineer. Always willing to help when it comes to audio if ever needed.
The music track in this game is very well done.
It has a vanilla feel to it (the original game) but also totally different. Great work.

I don't know all the sources, but there's "MUSIC" a section in the readme - hopefully it can give you enough info. If something's missing or needs extra info, drop me a PM (I check them more often than threads).

And thanks for all the kind words! :)

This. But also there's another trick: Ctrl+End. It switches between normal vision, half-light and full light.
Bear in mind that it only aftects display, not mechanics! (setting half or full light does'nt actually make units see better)
I personally prefer using half-light over NV, but it's a matter of taste.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: November 08, 2022, 06:38:39 pm »
I personally prefer using half-light over NV, but it's a matter of taste.
Yeah, I really have some beef with LPers inflicting night vision on their viewers all the time. >:(

At least Starving Poet switched to Ctrl+End midway back when he played XCF.