Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950576 times)

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9b: Council of the Funding Nations
« Reply #2520 on: May 24, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »
Can 0.9.9a be upgraded to 0.9.9b mid campaign (asking because you've added countries and I'm not sure if that creates any incompatibility), and EDIT: I'm reposting this below, since this was my first post and it took the mod approval long enough as to be buried in the previous page (first question was already answered).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:55:47 pm by Mr. Mister »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2521 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:55 pm »
OK, I get it now. Well, this is a new feature, so I've never planned around it, and I have no special ideas about using it now. It might happen if I think I need it for something.

Your idea about chainsaws are sound. I will add a mundane saw and probably a Doomy saw, and then we'll see.

Offline erenoth02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 24, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »
Do you need to start a new game with the latest update? or will a save file from the previous update run relatively well? I'm up to mission #401 but I think my progression is halted due to that "Doom" error youve fixed with the latest update.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 24, 2019, 08:50:02 pm »
Do you need to start a new game with the latest update? or will a save file from the previous update run relatively well? I'm up to mission #401 but I think my progression is halted due to that "Doom" error youve fixed with the latest update.

There's no need to start a new campaign, but you won't see the new countries if you don't start a new game.

Or you can just take the attached file and copy its content into your save, under the "countries:" section.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 24, 2019, 11:59:25 pm »
(Reposting since my first post had to wait for mod approval and it got buried in the previous page): Have you considered unlocking the ability to buy some ammo types before you unlock the ability to buy the weapons they're for? I know that opening ammo boxes partially fills this role, but I find it plausible that say you could get approval for buying 5.56mm NATO after researching a looted M16 even if you don't have the contacts to buy more M16s yet; it'd add extra value to these looted weapons because they become usable in missions but cannot be easily replaced yet if you lose them.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, but coming from someone who played XCOM Files for the first time without having looked at any playthrough: Maybe you should specify somewhere in the starting UFOpedia reports that your first goal as a mission is to prove your worth to the UN by presenting an anomalous creature's autopsy to them (which I do admit makes a lot of sence insofar as you proving XCOM is needed), since that (and something else I forget) is what unlocks the First Report or whatever research topic, and there are plenty of research topics to prioritize over any autopsy if you don't know that.

In any case, sick mod yo. Having never played UFO Defense before (but lots of Long War and some X-Division, its Xenonauts equivalent), I first tried vanilla and Area 51, but found the game very overwhelming on soldier and inventory management from the get-go. I'm glad to tell you that XCOM Files is much, MUCH more easily approachable to a first-time UFO Defense/OpenXcom player due to the reduced stress that is starting with only two soldiers per mission and much less viable equipment. Thanks for all your work over the years, it has truly made the universe a better place.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9b: Council of the Funding Nations
« Reply #2525 on: May 25, 2019, 10:23:47 am »
The creature autopsy and Cultist interrogated are described in the General strategy (or similar) entry, though they are vague.

If you middle click on the science topics you can see their prerequisites and what they unlock and can also search through the technology tree. It is a bit spoiling but it is hard to navigate what is needed for what without that

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 25, 2019, 08:49:33 pm »
I just realized something. When you interrogate a Farmer he either talks about:
1. *redacted* aliens *redacted.*
2. Nothing interesting and the doctor gives you pills.
3. He talks about his favorite Axe.
4. He talks about his favorite Pitchfork.
5. He can only remember his wife's heavy hand and your staff is so impressed they put a "Female Farmer Combat analysis" with the other enemies.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 26, 2019, 06:49:47 pm »
The creature autopsy and Cultist interrogated are described in the General strategy (or similar) entry, though they are vague.

It literally says "we must capture or dissect such a creature", can't be more direct than that!

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 26, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
It literally says "we must capture or dissect such a creature", can't be more direct than that!

:)

It could be "we must research a creature corpse", but that is too direct for me.

By the way, the "we must capture or" is incorrect. Examining a living creature does not replace dissection in the research tree.

Also not all creatures work. I once had a Spitter mission first and that guy did not qualify for Strange Creature Autopsy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:36:08 pm by tarkalak »

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 26, 2019, 08:00:26 pm »
Spitters are too strange.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 27, 2019, 11:20:07 am »
Have you considered unlocking the ability to buy some ammo types before you unlock the ability to buy the weapons they're for? I know that opening ammo boxes partially fills this role, but I find it plausible that say you could get approval for buying 5.56mm NATO after researching a looted M16 even if you don't have the contacts to buy more M16s yet; it'd add extra value to these looted weapons because they become usable in missions but cannot be easily replaced yet if you lose them.

I'm afraid that would make weapons acquisition too inconsequential. Once you can buy the ammo, uying weapons doesn't matter that much, since you always have at least one.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, but coming from someone who played XCOM Files for the first time without having looked at any playthrough: Maybe you should specify somewhere in the starting UFOpedia reports that your first goal as a mission is to prove your worth to the UN by presenting an anomalous creature's autopsy to them (which I do admit makes a lot of sence insofar as you proving XCOM is needed), since that (and something else I forget) is what unlocks the First Report or whatever research topic, and there are plenty of research topics to prioritize over any autopsy if you don't know that.

As above, it was mentioned somewhere already. But I will check that Spitter problem.

In any case, sick mod yo. Having never played UFO Defense before (but lots of Long War and some X-Division, its Xenonauts equivalent), I first tried vanilla and Area 51, but found the game very overwhelming on soldier and inventory management from the get-go. I'm glad to tell you that XCOM Files is much, MUCH more easily approachable to a first-time UFO Defense/OpenXcom player due to the reduced stress that is starting with only two soldiers per mission and much less viable equipment. Thanks for all your work over the years, it has truly made the universe a better place.

Thanks a lot!
And yeah, I made XCF relatively approachable at the start... Then it gets worse at times.

I just realized something. When you interrogate a Farmer he either talks about:
1. *redacted* aliens *redacted.*
2. Nothing interesting and the doctor gives you pills.
3. He talks about his favorite Axe.
4. He talks about his favorite Pitchfork.
5. He can only remember his wife's heavy hand and your staff is so impressed they put a "Female Farmer Combat analysis" with the other enemies.

Yes... That's pretty much it.
Your point? :)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 27, 2019, 04:08:43 pm »
I'm afraid that would make weapons acquisition too inconsequential. Once you can buy the ammo, uying weapons doesn't matter that much, since you always have at least one.

As above, it was mentioned somewhere already. But I will check that Spitter problem.

Thanks a lot!
And yeah, I made XCF relatively approachable at the start... Then it gets worse at times.

Yes... That's pretty much it.
Your point? :)

The Spitter is an alien, not a creature. The one I captured died due to lack of Alien Contamination. I think that costed me 1-2 agents. :(

The Abomination also isn't listed in the Strange Creature Autopsy.

About the farmer: I found the 5th interrogation funny. :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 05:22:43 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 28, 2019, 10:34:38 pm »
The Spitter is an alien, not a creature. The one I captured died due to lack of Alien Contamination. I think that costed me 1-2 agents. :(

Spitter indeed wasn't on the list. Thanks, fixed.

The Abomination also isn't listed in the Strange Creature Autopsy.

The Abomination looks fine, though.

About the farmer: I found the 5th interrogation funny. :)

:)

EDIT: 0.9.9c has been released.

- 8 new faces.
- Improved paperdolls' toes (based on Dioxine's work).
- Improved Syndicate Supersoldier's paperdoll (by Dioxine).
- Improved sewers entrance (by Dioxine).
- Fixed a crash on The Hollow Man article.
- Fixed death tiles in ADVENT_MEDICINE.
- Minor fixes.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9c: Back to The Sewers
« Reply #2533 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24:24 am »
I am not sure if this is the suggestion page, so I will put this here. 2 ideas for night combat.

1. A flashlight that works like a gun (sort of). You shoot with it and whatever is hit is illuminated until the end of the alien turn. The same as throwing a flare, but this "flare" disappears at the end of the turn.

2. Headlight inventory slot. A small 1x1 slot on the head where the player can equip flares, headlight, night vision goggles, etc. that would illuminate the surroundings as if they are held at hand.
I am sure that I have seen a helmet with a strapped magazine so it doesn't need to be flashlight only.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9c: Back to The Sewers
« Reply #2534 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:19 am »
Sorry, I am not aware of any engine features which would allow these effects. Probably not even scripting.