aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238556 times)

Offline DoktorV

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2016, 05:03:03 pm »
As for ranged stun weapons at the low end of the scale - throwing rocks has been known to work. But, that got me thinking, and perhaps this is too silly even for an admittedly somewhat silly game, but what about baseballs? Not because baseballs are particularly special as projectile weapons, but because we already have bats and it would perhaps tie in with a baseball team uniform outfit :-p
With small bonuses to melee, throwing, and voodoo (because baseball players are some of the most superstitious people around)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 25, 2016, 05:30:17 pm »
More shields would be neat from a variety standpoint. But anything that grants a STR scaling stun is really strong. Getting it too early on a defensive armor..... unbalancing.

Don't the handle and knuckle also scale with STR? Obviously, a shield bash with a hide shield or buckler wouldn't be nearly as potent as one with a tower shield. In fact, I could see higher base damage (it's easier to move compared to the heavy tower shield, so you don't need to be as strong to fight its inertia) but lower scaling (its lower mass means less impact, once you are strong enough to get it moving, than the heavy tower shield provides). I think adding to the variety of armors and enabling more specialization for those who want it without having to sprite new armors (shields are pretty easy, just a new handob and bigob)

As for ranged stun weapons at the low end of the scale - throwing rocks has been known to work. But, that got me thinking, and perhaps this is too silly even for an admittedly somewhat silly game, but what about baseballs? Not because baseballs are particularly special as projectile weapons, but because we already have bats and it would perhaps tie in with a baseball team uniform outfit :-p
With small bonuses to melee, throwing, and voodoo (because baseball players are some of the most superstitious people around)
lol baseballs and related outfits would be a bit much, but we've got superheroes already so.. Rocks are a pretty good idea, we've already gotten apples as throwables, maybe rocks could do similar stun but a bit of lethal damage too (making them a bit better at stunning, but also potentially able to kill the target).

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:35 pm »
...  Superslaves throw Rocks already.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2016, 09:32:07 pm »
Yes, but he's the only one who gets them!

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »
Yes, but he's the only one who gets them!

I agree, batman's zapper, academy drones, dogs, and other creatures would be fun to have around IMO.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 25, 2016, 09:54:42 pm »
We do have attack dogs. You just need the right research to unlock them. I keep a few guard dogs at each hideout as they can be handy in base defenses. My most important bases get guard reapers (but I've never bothered with tanks and cyberdiscs, waiting to see what's the really best I can make out of those scarce resources. You can also get pet cyclops which should be pretty handy, although I haven't gotten the tech yet.. I would love some pet lobsterman too. Feed it some rotten seal meat (or mutant meat) to keep it happy at the base, and let it lose on your enemies if the invade you.

Chryssalids and celatids though, meh.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #621 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:26 pm »
I agree, batman's zapper, academy drones, dogs, and other creatures would be fun to have around IMO.

Please, do not forget about spider-man and green Kick-Ass!

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2016, 09:25:37 am »
Some more suggestions:

1. It should be possible to convert captured ratman dogs into attack dogs.
2. The animal poison could be used to poison also arrows and javelins and maybe fuso knives.
3. There is already gauss and laser weapon disassembly/assembly, so there could also be conventional weapon assembly/disassembly. (Precision weapon parts, musket parts, cannon parts, small arms mechanics)
It would make the production of the custom guns (shooty gun, custom snipin gun, ...) more flexible. Now you need specific weapons to find, like "3 assault rifles + sniper rifle + slave AI" for producing the snipin gun. With the assembly/disassembly tech you could make it to for example to "3 precision weapon parts + 4 small arms mechanics + slave AI "

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:58 am »
1. It should be possible to convert captured ratman dogs into attack dogs.

Dioxine stated already at some point that it's not cool, because dogs are too faithful and friendly to be repurposed by enemies, or something along these lines.

2. The animal poison could be used to poison also arrows and javelins and maybe fuso knives.

That would be nice, though I have no idea how it'd work, mechanically.

3. There is already gauss and laser weapon disassembly/assembly, so there could also be conventional weapon assembly/disassembly. (Precision weapon parts, musket parts, cannon parts, small arms mechanics)
It would make the production of the custom guns (shooty gun, custom snipin gun, ...) more flexible. Now you need specific weapons to find, like "3 assault rifles + sniper rifle + slave AI" for producing the snipin gun. With the assembly/disassembly tech you could make it to for example to "3 precision weapon parts + 4 small arms mechanics + slave AI "

Yes, it's tempting, but it would also be an enormous work for the modder. And would make a monstrous production list. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #624 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »
1. Yeah. Do you really think you can kill dog's masters and then be friends with the dog? Dogs aren't as treacherous as humans :)

2. And bayonets, and spears, and swords! Game-wise, as far as poison goes, in the melee department, you have the dagger, in ranged - blowpipe.

3. The list of key weapons used for parts is rather short, with very few common parts. More often it's just 'add flashy bitz to a gun'. The design you've mentioned does seems natural, and it sits in my 'maybe?' list for a long time now. One advantage would be that you won't have to store whole guns. But I don't know, if it's really worth it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 26, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »
Given the number of guns, that's a lot of new workshop projects. But with the categories and quicksearch, that's not nearly as bad as with the vanilla UI.

I think it would be nice for weapons to depend on pieces instead of other full weapons. My stores are still full or random crap "just in case". You never know what devious component Dioxine puts as a requirement ;) maybe the best gun in the game requires a black march smg to manufacture and, knowing myself, I'll have sold my stock of whatever is needed an hour before the research completed thinking "I'll never need that crap again!" After my Kustom Shooty gun experience, I now have a dedicated hoard base where I ship pretty much every weapon and funky sort of rare item I find.

Having ~6 conventional weapon parts like the other ones would make it possible to salvage from whatever encounter and lessen the dependence on fighting the right faction and then getting the right weapon.

That does change the availability of some weapons though, potentially making Kustom Shooty guns and reaper rifles more common. But those aren't really general issue guns to spam so it should be ok.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:33:38 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2016, 11:59:12 am »
Good point, Arthanor.
Keeping a box of gunlocks is more organized than keeping a box of assorted firearms...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »
Meridian added r-click feature that allows you to see if any given crap can be further developed into something or not.
Also to keep to the spirit of upgrades I'd have to add more extra items than there are relevant guns (afair anything other than assault rifle, battle rifle, mil shotgun, sniper rifle & LMG are straight upgrades; more, 2 of these 5 have straight upgrades too - so dismantling them would turn out to be a so-called 'noob trap', unless re-assembly projects were added...).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2016, 05:40:13 pm »
Maybe a few assembly projects would be enough? Assault pistol, assault rifle, military shotgun, sniper rifles: the "classic" items. If you disassembled your BM-SMG into the box of parts, too bad. You can put pieces back together, but in the box they look all the same so what you get is the "average" instead. Being able to assemble LACCs, LC and ACs would be neat too.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2016, 08:06:12 pm »
Maybe. I'm not ruling it out, eventually. But for now, too much work for too little gain.