aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238785 times)

niculinux

Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #600 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »
Bolas is a nice idea, a "ranged" stun weapon 8). Grenade bolas: no please, since there are plenty of explosives already.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:14:44 am by niculinux »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #601 on: August 24, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
I was playing with the idea of bolas/net; but both are mainly constraining weapons, not stunning weapons. I couldn't figure out how it should work in-engine; TU/Energy drain by itself is kinda weak IMO; TU drain only affects Reactions, and AI units usually regain energy very very fast - and no Energy is needed to fire guns. Also there already are weapons that drain TUs, like spear.
However, there is ineed little in the way of early ranged Stun weapons...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 24, 2016, 09:29:39 pm »
Early ranged stun would be nice, but I thought the idea was that ranged stun should be bad early on to favor the more risky "rush in for captures". The harpoon gun is usable once you get decent firers to actually hit, maybe some buff in armor penetration for the darts (you only need a scratch for the tranquilizer to work) and a blowdart version could work?

Depending on the range, bolas could be really neat or not really all that interesting. The whip is a "ranged" stunner and also suffers from this. Unless bolas are really useless (at which point why implement them?), I can hardly see an implementation of bolas that wouldn't make the whip entirely redundant (it is already often better to take 2-3 extra steps and hit the people with a handle).

In my experience (now 3 years in), throwing weapons are actually really good. I regularly use javelins and fuso knives even with my main team because there is nothing that is approaching the kind of damage they deal without having a significantly higher price/shot, especially one handed ( I did increase the range of the javelin by changing its maxRange into a aimRange though, with severe accuracy loss past it. Although given the accuracy multiplier, it isn't too much of an issue). Even Disc'o'Death were discarded as "too expensive and bulky" compared to the lowly Fuso knives, as the gals could achieve similar damage values and knives are cheap. Bow scaling and arcing shots also keeps them relevant through significant advances in gun tech.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »
I was playing with the idea of bolas/net; but both are mainly constraining weapons, not stunning weapons. I couldn't figure out how it should work in-engine; TU/Energy drain by itself is kinda weak IMO; TU drain only affects Reactions, and AI units usually regain energy very very fast - and no Energy is needed to fire guns. Also there already are weapons that drain TUs, like spear.
However, there is ineed little in the way of early ranged Stun weapons...

I think constraining weapons would be effective; so long as they prevent turning as well.  Then you could follow up with your melee stun girls.  Maybe give them a chance for the target "throw" their equipped weapon to replicate how they are often used for disarmament.  Bolas, nets, caltrops, weighted chains, or even a capture pole.   A little bit more early-game flavor. 

Regardless, they would require whole new mechanics to work.

/edit:

Unless they offered a guaranteed (if they hit) stun, but it's only for a turn or two, so that you'd have to get a girl on top of them before they get back up.

niculinux

« Reply #604 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:18 pm »
[...]
Unless they offered a guaranteed (if they hit) stun, but it's only for a turn or two, so that you'd have to get a girl on top of them before they get back up.

Yes, the stunning capacity should be more weak than the melee ones.

As for the 0.99B i noticed the fuel capacity of the airbus has been reduced, while the one of the aircar and aisspeeder is increased, this enforces new strategies, but at the same time i'd advice (do not know if possible) to have a bit more grouded shipping in the early game, since for even 6-7 months sometimes i am not able  to grund assault anything. For instance in the attached screenshots, with the new airbus seems i caannot travel between continents anymore and consequentially can not do progrom and ther ground missions.

Ather possible thing would be to implement (as naughty mod) the 16 bases patch for those who might want, others may be simply not activate it, point is the piratez may build as mus bases as they can unless they have money, so it would be kinda "realistic". )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:02:46 am by niculinux »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2016, 12:47:12 am »
Really? I had no issue going to North America from Creta for a tower mission.. I do agree that it would be nice if we had more "requireBase" missions in the early game and if civilians landed a bit more.

Although the suggestion to reduce landings was a good one (before you didn't really need to intercept anything), now the landings are quite a bit rarer, and Hellerium too as a consequence (since shooting down UFOs mean ~60% to destroy the engine or something). Combined with the reduction to 25 Hellerium per engine, farming for capsules might be a bit of a pain.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2016, 12:59:35 am »
Early on, you can get guaranteed hellerium from civvies by disassembling the small engines.  For fuel capsules, manufacturing for cash then buying seems quicker anyways, shootdowns are just a bonus.  I heard it mentioned a while ago, but maybe fuel capsules could be loot from a late-game mission.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #607 on: August 25, 2016, 01:01:51 am »
Early on, you can get guaranteed hellerium from civvies by disassembling the small engines.  For fuel capsules, manufacturing for cash then buying seems quicker anyways, shootdowns are just a bonus.  I heard it mentioned a while ago, but maybe fuel capsules could be loot from a late-game mission.

There is a trickle of fuel capsules in the Gifts of Love missions. ;) also lots of other nice loots!  Listen to everything that mysterious admirer has to say!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 25, 2016, 01:04:38 am »
I did not know that, good news indeed!

niculinux

« Reply #609 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:39 am »
Really? I had no issue going to North America from Creta for a tower mission..

Things are painful, because the Airbus is the very starting vessel, though battery powered. Probably becsuse - forgot to tell - i always "experiment"  on the "Jack Sparrow" difficulty level, don know if that might be..

Edit: Another possible cool craft name: Airbud? Though in my effirt, since i started to play xpiratez, never passed december 2601 (!!!) exept a couple of times i reached march 2602.  :o
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:13:16 am by niculinux »

Offline KanjiFX

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 25, 2016, 01:25:25 am »
I'm not sure if this would be an improvement, but I think it would be cool to see more outfits and armor that have shields, like the Plate Mail armor.  I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller shield go with the Scale Mail armor. 

Offline LandrewHun

• Squaddie
  • Purge the Mutant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 25, 2016, 01:41:58 am »
I'm not sure if this would be an improvement, but I think it would be cool to see more outfits and armor that have shields, like the Plate Mail armor.  I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller shield go with the Scale Mail armor.

I'm also interested in more shields like early shields for player or even "Templar's" armed with Shields and Melee weapons.
Church of Sirius would possible to have a secret Order of Knights. Ratmans with shields would be an overkill. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2016, 02:02:36 am »
Ratmans with shields would be an overkill. :)

You mean Ratmen on shields?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:10 am »
Things are painful, because the Airbus is the very starting vessel, though battery powered. Probably becsuse - forgot to tell - i always "experiment"  on the "Jack Sparrow" difficulty level, don know if that might be..

Edit: Another possible cool craft name: Airbud? Though in my effirt, since i started to play xpiratez, never passed december 2601 (!!!) exept a couple of times i reached march 2602.  :o
Yes, I made that comment regarding the starting craft. Talking about other crafts would be so irrelevant that I didn't think of specifying that I did. No, difficulty has no impact on the range of different crafts.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't strike me as a Jack Sparrow. Maybe Blackbeard or Davey Jones would allow you to play longer.

Re: shields
I'd love more shields too! A riot shield for tac or heavy armor (increase some chem/concussive/cutting res but not armor values to represent deflection but the shield not being able to stop bullets), some buckler for scale, etc. The idea of keeping a piece of solid material between yourself and harmful stuff is pretty basic and given the availability of plastasteel, I'm surprised the gals don't do it more. Hell, even a reaper hide shield for tribal/barbarian/amazon outfit would be cool for the truly primitive (hide shield and javelin gals covered by bows gals) vibe.

That hide shield idea would fit well with a wild reaper hunt too! It would be nice to see more of the big guys, or even brave a chryssalid hive tunnel to get those chitin plates for xeno armor.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:16:15 am by Arthanor »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2016, 11:30:44 am »
More shields would be neat from a variety standpoint. But anything that grants a STR scaling stun is really strong. Getting it too early on a defensive armor..... unbalancing.