Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238848 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2016, 06:50:53 am »
Honestly buckshot should probably get the secondary effects; slugs/AP don't need much help outside of their atrocious range.
In case this was unclear from my previous message, yes, I did mean that the buff could be applied to the ammo with multiple pellets, not the more powerful single shot AP ammo. I consider the latter to be quite good early game close quarter weapons.

Another thing I'd change is how long it takes to get CAWS ammo manufacturing. In all my games I carefully watch what little ammo I get as I can't make more until I am well beyond caring about CAWS, having better guns with longer range. It makes sense to take a bit longer than most firearms since CAWS are quite powerful early on, but maybe not quite as long? By the time you an make LACC, AC and LC ammo, maybe? They are kind of all in the same tier, with the others etting the advantage of multiple ammo types.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2016, 07:02:37 am »
Alright.

and TU damage for AP would be cool.

That was the source of confusion.

As CAWS/LACC goes, no comment; never used them. Was on the Custom Shooty/Longbow/Gauss hypetrain at that point.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #482 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:30 am »
It will always burn people even if "turn off". When I finish new lighting system (right now I fighting with performance degradation caused by it) I will think about way of enabling and disabling weapons attacks.

Wouldn't it be simpler to have a script which substitutes one item with another item?

Unlit torch can be changed to lit torch.
Lit torch cannot be changed to unlit torch.
Lit torch is non-recoverable.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 09, 2016, 03:09:54 pm »
I like the Flintlock Rifle but it needs some improvement. Currently it is a bit underwhelming. With the aimed shot, it can only be used every second turn, which is strong drawback, so the shot should have some more punch.

I would give it a power scaling of "Accuracy*0.3" to put it between reaper rifle and sniper rifle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:41 pm »
I like the Flintlock Rifle but it needs some improvement. Currently it is a bit underwhelming. With the aimed shot, it can only be used every second turn, which is strong drawback, so the shot should have some more punch.

I would give it a power scaling of "Accuracy*0.3" to put it between reaper rifle and sniper rifle.

To be honest I don't understand why a rifle from what looks like Napoleonic era should compete against modern weapons.
Yes, they do the job when they hit people who aren't wearing modern armour, but they're still shit-tier. I doubt you as a player are even expected to use them, except maybe very early.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 09, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »
To be honest I don't understand why a rifle from what looks like Napoleonic era should compete against modern weapons.
Yes, they do the job when they hit people who aren't wearing modern armour, but they're still shit-tier. I doubt you as a player are even expected to use them, except maybe very early.

I think the player is expected to use the flintlock rifle. You have to research it and manufacture it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2016, 05:11:41 pm »
I think the player is expected to use the flintlock rifle. You have to research it and manufacture it.

Yeah, but realistically speaking, I never tried. Better weapons are just too ubiquitous at the moment. I only research it to unlock further stuff.

Does it mean I want to see it buffed? Not really, because it wouldn't make sense.

Does it mean I want it to disappear from the game? No, because its presence is kind of logical and should make more sense later. The early game is still in flux, with steps gradually being made to make the player start at a lower tech in general. I suppose it'll finally catch up with the flintlock weapons concept.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 08:05:08 pm »
... Hellerium Tipped Mini Ball...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
What'd be most welcomed is an option that holds grenade's countdown ONLY if it's held in hand, not anywhere in the inventory...
Then it would be 3 stange option:
0 - current behavior (explosive packs)
1 - only hands (grenade)
2 - always countdown (torch or dynamite)

Wouldn't it be simpler to have a script which substitutes one item with another item?

Unlit torch can be changed to lit torch.
Lit torch cannot be changed to unlit torch.
Lit torch is non-recoverable.
Right now my scripts still lacks some functionality to made it work. This is only question of some time to add this.
Maybe when I finish light&visibility changes I could do it.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 09:53:53 pm »
It would be cool if there was a way for enemies to flee if the battle goes on for too long (in order to prevent urban maps from devolving into a game of hide and seek) this has been a problem since the original X-com, but the maps included in Xpirate-z exasperate it.

The game could check the following factors
  • The player's Gals occupy the map objective (if it exists, otherwise skip this step) IE, the UFO/Temple/warehouse/ect.
  • There are no enemies inside the map objective (again, if it exists, otherwise skip this step)
  • If there is no special map objective, At least half of the enemy units have been killed or disabled.
  • The players have taken proportionally less casualties (dead or unconscious) than the enemies.
  • No enemies or visible to the players, and visa versa. (on Pogums free mutants count as well)
  • None of the player's gals are fatally wounded.
If the above have been true for X amount of turns, the game will inform the player that the enemies appear to have fled, and ask if the player wishes to end the mission. If the player says no, the count is reset (It won't ask for another X turns) and the mission continues as normal. If the player says Yes however, the mission ends and all remaining enemies are marked as escaped in the score screen. Escaped foes are worth zero points, and you don't get their loot. You do however get all the loot that had been dropped.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:55:44 pm by Star_Treasure »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2016, 10:49:56 pm »
I think the Telekinetic Projector should work more like the Ghost Beam; unlimited range, but power degrades beyond its effective range.

Also veterancy for Aircraft would be cool, with pilot abilities upgrading with successful interceptions; they would add dodge, accuracy, even damage (signifying hitting the weak point for massive damage).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:08:39 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2016, 11:28:44 pm »
Right now my scripts still lacks some functionality to made it work. This is only question of some time to add this.
Maybe when I finish light&visibility changes I could do it.

OK, good.

BTW there would also have to be a function that changes an item into another item on battlescape end. Lit torches can be unrecoverable, but what about lamps and flashlights? An "on" lamp would have to be changed into an "off" lamp.

Also veterancy for Aircraft would be cool, with pilot abilities upgrading with successful interceptions; they would add dodge, accuracy, even damage (signifying hitting the weak point for massive damage).

I think it's going more in the direction of having actual pilots. Like, gals.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2016, 12:21:01 am »

It is good enough as it is. The competition is the Ramshackle Rifle, which, at 80 Firing, is less accurate, and deals 26 damage, as compared to 46 from the Flintlock Rifle. If you're able to carry 2 Flintlock Rifles with you to increase fire rate, I'd say Flintlock Rifle has an edge. Alternatively, use 2-3 Flintlock Rifles + Battle Flag to fire and reload within single turn.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 10, 2016, 12:31:24 am »
My understanding of the flintlock rifle is that if you don't get lucky drops, and get other sniper weapons, it's good, it will quickly be overwhelmed by the other options, but for the resources put into it, there's a good payoff.

So idea, somewhat linked to the active camouflage that Meridian designed:  How difficult would it be to do silenced weapons, ones that don't mark you in enemy Intelligence when you shoot them, other than direction the bullet came from, and don't even give that if the target is alone and killed by said bullet?

Naturally, they would have to be balanced through weaker bullet damage and range, probably don't need other stuff though.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #494 on: August 10, 2016, 01:04:44 am »
Then it would be 3 stange option:
0 - current behavior (explosive packs)
1 - only hands (grenade)
2 - always countdown (torch or dynamite)

That'd very much cover the whole issue, yes. I like it.

So idea, somewhat linked to the active camouflage that Meridian designed:  How difficult would it be to do silenced weapons, ones that don't mark you in enemy Intelligence when you shoot them, other than direction the bullet came from, and don't even give that if the target is alone and killed by said bullet?

All what would be needed is ability to disable Reactions check on such a weapon/ammo, or allow for a bonus to said check.

I think the Telekinetic Projector should work more like the Ghost Beam; unlimited range, but power degrades beyond its effective range.

Yeah, agreed. At least it should become weaker with range.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:07:08 am by Dioxine »