Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238575 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #450 on: August 07, 2016, 05:59:22 pm »
Three main reasons:
1. You can manufacture from a finite resource, as opposed to buying infinite (and being constrained only with money).
2. You can introduce unique units that way.
3. That's a secret, but you will like it a lot ;)

Also that check should be before manufacturing (just like with craft manufacturing); and manufactured person should already count like occupying space (ditto).

Yippee ki-yay, m$%herf#%*&r! ;-)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 07, 2016, 08:29:27 pm »
Uh, but why?

Call it the 'Party Van'.

They were never here, just it was possible to force the game to use them, and now it's not. I won't advertise the S-Shooty Gun - you don't like it, don't use it. There are plenty other weapons to choose from. Although 18 bullets allow engaging and killing enemies who have 60+ armor, like Stormtroopers or turned-around power armor (completely impossible with TFTD rules, but perfectly normal with UFO damage rules - if the spread is high, high volume of fire pays off much better).

Why would I roll dice against heavily armoured units with a blunt object rather than use a proper can opener like Wands of Rending, seduction, high explosives, etc? Particularly when I have unlimited gear slots, and so many effective anti-armour options?

As for everyone else, the custom shooty gun shoots them dead pretty effectively while being more friendly with smoke and in general not exposing myself to enemy retaliation; super shooty is overkill.

In general, the main problem with SSG is that against the enemies where all that extra dakka might be good, there are usually far better solutions.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #452 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:55 pm »
Yippee ki-yay, m$%herf#%*&r! ;-)

Wooo!

Also yeah, in my country, passenger carrying van is called a 'bus' anyway. So there is that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:40:59 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »
Is it possible to subdivide the Prov Govt into the various countries? I would love to visit some retribution on those bastards that defected to the aliens without eating a massive point penalty.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:43:41 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #454 on: August 07, 2016, 09:42:43 pm »
Is it possible to subdivide the Prov Govt into the various countries? I would love to visit some retribution on those bastards that defected to the aliens without eating a massive point penalty.

Haha! That'd be really cool. Needs code to differentiate between those, though... Or, if made for cheaps (no country-specific units, only checks if anyone was 'swayed'), I guess it COULD be made. :)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 07, 2016, 09:46:21 pm »
Would also be cool to be able to terrorize and pillage their cities; show them what happens when you choose the losing side and go deadbeat on your protection payments. Naturally there would be heavy resistance, but to the victor go the spoils...

Maybe you could even intimidate them back into the fold if you truly made a friend of horror by laying waste to their cities and destroying all alien hideouts within their borders.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:48:09 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2016, 09:48:56 pm »
Nah you're too small a fry to assault them head-on (at least not until late game) - although making their lives miserable is always an option, either by robbing them or staging a mutant rebellion.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2016, 09:52:41 pm »
Nah you're too small a fry to assault them head-on (at least not until late game) - although making their lives miserable is always an option, either by robbing them or staging a mutant rebellion.

Direct assaults could be a late game researchable mission; bottom line, you reach a point where they fear you more than even the global factions if you're sufficiently armed and vicious. Naturally, the aliens can always sway them back with subsequent missions...

Mutant rebellions sound pretty good (how would this work? Something you 'manufacture'? A tactical mission?).

Also could raid their outlying facilities (mining interests, trading posts, etc)...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:05:21 pm by Surrealistik »

niculinux

« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2016, 09:55:21 pm »
Intetestin mission :) hey, also "Party van" is really a nice touch!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #459 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Db0J0iSYU Something like on this album's cover, maybe :)

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »
Honestly, that's how I always pictured the Bonventura, anyway :D

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 08, 2016, 02:51:48 am »
Keep damage spread at 0-200% but make the probability distribution gaussian with each +/- 25% being increasingly likely; obviously the probabilities can be tweaked:

40% +/- 0-25 (Average Hit)
30% +/- 26-50 (Good/Bad Hit)
25% +/- 51-75 (Excellent Hit/Graze)
5% +/- 76-100% (Critical Hit/Fail)

You might also add a weapon property that makes certain types of hits more likely (criticals on sniper weapons for example).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:56:32 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #462 on: August 08, 2016, 03:31:25 am »
I could make a gaussian spread by using 'average of two 1...200% rolls' Meridian provided (yeah, in this engine, everything needs to be hardcoded and obviously CANNOT be easily tweaked). I might do that, I might not.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 08, 2016, 03:39:56 am »
Keep damage spread at 0-200% but make the probability distribution gaussian with each +/- 25% being increasingly likely; obviously the probabilities can be tweaked:

40% +/- 0-25 (Average Hit)
30% +/- 26-50 (Good/Bad Hit)
25% +/- 51-75 (Excellent Hit/Graze)
5% +/- 76-100% (Critical Hit/Fail)

You might also add a weapon property that makes certain types of hits more likely (criticals on sniper weapons for example).

I know Meridian added a double-dice option a while back to sort of emulate a guassian curve.   a 2d101 roll instead of the 1d201.  My personal favorite (if this was an option) would be to add a 1d101+2d51 it gives a much nicer center distribution without making the 0-20 and 180-200 rolls nearly impossible like when using a 4d51 roll.

https://anydice.com/program/90bc
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:07:49 am by Starving Poet »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2016, 04:11:31 am »
However, such a setup would remove the often occurence of 'lucky shots', that I find quite satisfying, and push the game balance from favoring multiple attacks into favoring single attacks.