aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238808 times)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:24 am »
Super shooty gun is bad in theory and practice in my experience; definite downgrade and not worth the loss of flexibility on the custom, so can confirm ivan's critique.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:39 am »
I refute the critique with the following:

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA!!!

:D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »
I currently have two Custom Shooty Guns and one Super Shooty Gun on my Bonnie. I find it to be a reasonable setup.
Three Super Shooty Guns would indeed seriously limit my firing range, but no Super Shooty Guns would mean noticeably less dakka.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2016, 04:11:05 pm »
Who needs flexibility if you can kill stuff so fast, so fast... ;)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2016, 05:25:24 pm »
I almost got two Super Shooty Guns to place on either side on Bonny's main door, because those door gunners would rack up the kills on landing.  Much better than the Custom Shooty Gun, mostly because I had plenty of sniper weapons, and snap-firing was covered by looted CAWS.  In my mind it's more of a machine gun that got the dakka upgrade from the Boarding Gun, and I think the weapon specialization is a good thing.

There are such things as Linux SMG and Smartrifles to cover the all-rounder category.

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »
The Stun Grenades are terrible and should be improved in my opinion, as they're bad for capturing even unarmored targets. You need 4-5 of them to down a single General Operator for instance. In retrospect when I try to throw a stun grenade and then soften them up for it to work, they usually end up just dying. I can get a HE or a Frag grenade instead, and just one would be enough to accomplish a similiar result - taking the enemy out of action (although not as prisoner)

Also I like Super Shooty gun because it feels that my Aimed or Snap shots on Boarding/Custom Shooty guns never hit when I need them. It's better to make 5-6 shots with a slightly lower accuracy than one with a high accuracy which misses anyway for me. You don't get a clip back if you've used it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:48:56 pm by nrafield »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »
Who needs flexibility if you can kill stuff so fast, so fast... ;)

Primarily because aimed shots beyond the range of retaliation stop you from getting killed so fast, particularly since TFTD damage spreads were removed; meanwhile the autofire on custom shooty is more than enough to put down almost anything when you get into close-medium range while say storming a ship. Mind you I don't have the Bonnaventura and am stuck with 8 units, so specialization isn't something I can't afford in most cases, but super shooty gun is most definitely inferior because it's not very compatible with smoke sniping.

And yeah Stun Grenades are terrible and probably need a buff, agreed.

Speaking of, would like to see a 'flashbang' item that applies temp debuffs to aim, throwing, reactions, morale and expends enemy TUs (the closer you are to the epicenter, the worse the effect).

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:49:44 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 06, 2016, 09:20:52 pm »
Being able to allocate Runts to expedite craft repair might be a good idea; if you need to limit the rapidity of repairs and the opportunity cost of not manufacturing goods with those Runts is thought to be an inadequate limiter by itself, merely cap the number of Runts that can work on each ship.

niculinux

« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2016, 12:51:25 am »
Dioxine, hiw about considering new possible leadings for the "spring cleaning" research topic? Actually "pile of junk" shuld not exist in the game  since its "fruits" ( scrap meral, chemical and superconductive wire which should ve renamed electruc wires) shoud either buyable at bkack market and looted (especially from warehouses). It may simply lead to some info to the pkayer, as the topic "what do" does (i think the latter sgould be present in the bootypedia at the beginning by default).

Also, any chances that viper assault cannon may make its way into the mod? May be an improvrment of the "anicient" assault cannon.  :)

Edit: even a gun inspired from quake' s super nailgun may be interesting, a "firearm version" of the "crate of violence" item 8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:05:20 am by niculinux »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 07, 2016, 01:24:23 am »
I have two suggestions this time :)

I'll start with the simpler one, probably:

Would it be possible to use the system we currently use for enemy voodoo, with any ally line of sight that turn up to int counting for the spell, for indirect fire? Bows, mortars, anything with an arc.  They know where you are, and if they can do the arc, that should be enough for those. Right?  Though probably the computer is still not smart enough to use mortars, does it use crouch at all?

Second idea, which seems far more complicated to me:

Is it possible to set doors that open one way, but not the other, unless specific criteria is met?  My idea is to have as vessels giant genetically engineered bugs or something like that, possibly for Deep Ones, or maybe some new xenomorph species.  If they're healthy, they'll let you come in, as they wish to eat you, but won't let you out easily; if they're hurt, like if you shoot them down, they don't really have a choice on your use of their 'doors'.  Their outer hulls would probably be chitin or something very like chrysalis hide, while inner walls could maybe be rendered into that material Reticulans give, to provide incentive to not just blow the thing up.  Inside the creature, it would be dark and have a chem effect that slowly eats away at armor until one side is at 0, at which point it eats away at life.  If any of the crew have voodoo, being in front of the creature would count as line of sight.  Uh, there could be a heart and brain in the creature, requiring you to kill or maybe capture it to win the map, I honestly don't know how we'd deal with a live ship capture, I imagine the carcass would take up about as much space as the Bonnie hull.

I hope that made at least a little bit of sense, and that it ends up somewhat useful

Oh, and if it was set up Giger-ish, and had squlchy sounds inside, all the better  ;D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #445 on: August 07, 2016, 05:27:36 am »
particularly since TFTD damage spreads were removed

They were never here, just it was possible to force the game to use them, and now it's not. I won't advertise the S-Shooty Gun - you don't like it, don't use it. There are plenty other weapons to choose from. Although 18 bullets allow engaging and killing enemies who have 60+ armor, like Stormtroopers or turned-around power armor (completely impossible with TFTD rules, but perfectly normal with UFO damage rules - if the spread is high, high volume of fire pays off much better).

Stun Grenade is crappy due to how it allows to catch people without any risk. The price you pay is crappiness. Although adding TU damage to it might be a good idea.

@khade:
1. it'd put the HURT on the player, all right, especially the campers :) If someone codes it down, why not? But it'd be really, really painful and sort of cheaty (the AI has free scouting that you don't have, as it 'remembers' your position for a number of turns.
2. Might be possible through some really nasty hacks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:38:30 am by Dioxine »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 07, 2016, 06:13:21 am »
For the living ship thing, maybe one entrance has a drop, and the other is set to be particularly unpleasant?

On the indirect fire, maybe the capacity to use your location indirectly could decay faster than intelligence?  It would make things particularly nasty, as I'm pretty sure a lot of explosive weapons can be indirect.  Maybe it would be most useful for a brutal mod, just in general.

niculinux

« Reply #447 on: August 07, 2016, 11:14:07 am »
Another quck one: habout to renane "airbus" in "airvan", and make its wings a little smaller? You see, the average joe does not expect to beinf attacked by some tribal folks coming down a "polite" civil vessel  ???. Bootypedia pic may be leaved as it is, of course, onlt some changes in the description :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #448 on: August 07, 2016, 12:17:22 pm »
Uh, but why?

niculinux

« Reply #449 on: August 07, 2016, 12:24:09 pm »
Uh, but why?

Don't now, maybe airbus may come lately into play, as a "piratez vesion of the skyraner". And now is rather small, so i'd call it 2van" rather than "bus"  ;D

Edt. of coure, it should be made more broader. :)

Edt. 2: to "complete the RCF tier" may bebalso intetesting have a RCF pistol, submachine, and shotgun, along withbthe rifle. Military shotgun may be renaned "RCF shotgun" and "domestic shotgun" to "shotgun" to simplify things a bit :) as for a pistol and SMG, may be used sprites from others mod, permission provided?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:54:54 pm by niculinux »