aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 735345 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #825 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:54 pm »
All of them are "unpleasant" to implement.
The first bullet handling and other bullets handling are disconnected.

I could implement both ideas, but I would have to change a lot of the code structure... which I don't want to do... because I would make it very hard for me to merge future changes from vanilla later.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 21, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »
New version is up.

2016-09-21
 + Fixed experience from medikits (merge issue)
 + Stun and wound indicators for corpses, more info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4424.msg72219.html#msg72219
 + Fix for TechTreeViewer CTD
 + Configurable map background color (per starting condition)
 + EXPERIMENTAL: added support for custom (global) palettes, more info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4935.msg72007.html#msg72007
 + Added option to transfer prisoners instead of just removing them (after the mission)

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YcmVqRE1xYWpUY3c

@Ivan/Dioxine: sample mod attached.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 23, 2016, 10:53:56 am »
Hello, Id like to request something if possible.
Can you make a numerical stat display appear in rightmost column in an Armor screen after sorting is done, just like it appears in a Crew screen?
It not that big of a deal, as I can see those stats in a different screen and equip armour through inventory, but all those extra clicks add up quickly and contribute to micromanagement fatigue. And having both screens sorting function work visually same would be aesthetically nice, I think. Also, consistency between screens and sameish functions.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:35 am »
Hello, Id like to request something if possible.
Can you make a numerical stat display appear in rightmost column in an Armor screen after sorting is done, just like it appears in a Crew screen?
It not that big of a deal, as I can see those stats in a different screen and equip armour through inventory, but all those extra clicks add up quickly and contribute to micromanagement fatigue. And having both screens sorting function work visually same would be aesthetically nice, I think. Also, consistency between screens and sameish functions.

Yes, I am missing it there too.
The problem is just the space on the screen, the armor names would be cut off a bit...
... but I found a "text overflow" option in textbox recently... I'll have a look if that helps.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #829 on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:48 pm »
I'm already limiting armor names to circa 10 letters. Cutting this any more would be ridiculous and force modders to come up with stupider names. Maybe the screen could be completely rearranged, or something. However I'm barely using the Armor tab anymore (assigning armors in equip screen is so much more convenient).

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 23, 2016, 01:01:12 pm »
I'm already limiting armor names to circa 10 letters. Cutting this any more would be ridiculous and force modders to come up with stupider names. Maybe the screen could be completely rearranged, or something. However I'm barely using the Armor tab anymore (assigning armors in equip screen is so much more convenient).

No worries, I won't decrease the size (I would do that long ago if I was willing to).

PS: I didn't find the taste for armor equipping in Inventory screen... it doesn't show me the position of the soldier in the craft.
At the moment, Armor tab is the only way to go for me.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
Yeah, while I do use the function of equipping armour through Equipment screen, I find it best suited for custom tailored loadouts. Does not really work for crews containing over 12-14 people for me. I also cannot see Stamina and TUs in there (relevant for cumbersome armours), so I have to go into another screen and then go back, and keep those numbers in my mind (in addition to a hell lot of other stuff most of the time). Generally I combine both - assign armours and positions in Armor screen, then go to equipment and apply maxxed loadouts based on a resulting paperdoll and stats, and ctrl-drop the stuff that goes over weight limit.
While alternative has the sameish amount of clicks - I can plainly see the numbers at a glance (assign Heavy Suit only to gals with over 100Stamina for example), and not changing screens back and forth is easier on the eyes and as a result is a more psychologically smooth experience. Its helping with micromanagement fatigue and delaying the burnout.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 23, 2016, 04:44:54 pm »
A crazy request: Do you think it would be possible to make an object which has a different floorob depending on deployment? The idea would be to have a few of these on various mapblocks, to better tie the map to the enemy encountered. This is especially relevant for Solarius' XCom files, where say, giant spiders infestations could have spiderwebs everywhere, but for zombies it'd be puddles of blood and corpses. (Not real corpses! Just an item which looks like one).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #833 on: September 23, 2016, 05:27:26 pm »
It's already doable, without much extra work (on mapping, setting spawns does take time), since games' cumbersome map-mission script practically neccessitates making new terrains for every single one non-UFO-crash/landing mission (unless they're carbon-copies, with only the alien race changed); and items are spawned by terrain.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:29:00 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 23, 2016, 07:27:28 pm »
Meridian, have you thinked about that improvement?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:08 pm »
Meridian, have you thinked about that improvement?

You mean more than 8 bases?

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 24, 2016, 03:35:50 am »
I think the 8 base maximum is plenty for this game... unless we also add special bases of some kind. eg. bases with smaller builder area than normal, or fixed features such as undiggable squares or unique buildings (like the lab, but less awesome, and in a secondary smaller bases).

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:18 am »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #838 on: September 25, 2016, 01:20:43 am »
Yes.

Go try the playmix. It has 16 and it isn't as much fun as it seems.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2016, 07:09:04 am »
Hey Meridian, I've noticed that when using the new shotgun code to fire against a wall adjacent to your soldier/gal, a pellet or two may fire 'backwards', behind you. (I don't have a save, but just try using new battle and try to breach a wall from right next to it, like in farm terrain in an enclosed space - it's likely you'll see a hit drawn on the opposite wall from which you're breaching.) I think this is due to how I wrote the finding of the first pellet's trajectory. In order to prevent getting 'no line of fire's errors when searching for trajectories for the subsequent pellets, I choose the 'target' for those pellets as the hit location of the first minus two voxels along the firing line, as I had seen in the vanilla code for drawing the hit location.  However, when coupled with short ranges between the origin voxel and the pellet spread, this may end up with firing a projectile or two behind your soldier. I think the fix might be in using the code for forcing a shot with no line of fire, like ctrl+fire to shoot through an obstacle.  I haven't been able to find that in the vanilla code - do you know where it is, so I could come up with a potential fix for this issue?