aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720107 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #570 on: May 14, 2016, 01:00:18 am »
Had anyone had any luck with compliling x64 linux executable? I keep hitting the same quite random crash (doesn't happen with downloaded 32bit exes) and would like to know if someone ever did it successfully, or the code base is knee-deep in int/ptr-width bugs, or  was that known to work, but bit-rotted and can realistically be fixed or what.

(besides, minimising the window really messes up my window manager, and every option apply recenters the window which gets real annoying on two monitors, but I can't fix that until I can compile something not crashing right away)

system: xubuntu trusty x64
codebase:
origin   https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom.git (fetch)
* master 9d44544 Multiple calls to SDL_GetVideoMode crash on various systems. Users will just have to manually restart after changing the Window Position option.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 14, 2016, 01:16:51 am »
codebase:
origin   https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom.git (fetch)
* master 9d44544 Multiple calls to SDL_GetVideoMode crash on various systems. Users will just have to manually restart after changing the Window Position option.

FYI, "master" is just a copy of SupSuper's vanilla repo... you need the branch from the first post if you want any of my changes.

Yes, I was talking about Warboy's "civilians can use weapons" new feature.

I spent 3+ hours trying to cherry-pick even the first (tiny) commit for this feature.
After giving up hope on automatic merge because of different line endings (and yes, I tried the first 10 ways I could google to do it... all failed), I eventually merged it by hand... yes, by hand.
Still, it doesn't compile:
- because it requires also next commit (wouldn't be so bad)
- and because it depends on at least another 2 previous commits, which I really can't be bothered to search for and painfully cherry-pick and test

If anyone has nerves from steel, feel free to do it... I'll happily commit your PR.

PS: once (if at all) Yankes merges OXC into OXCE, I am really not looking forward to re-implementing half of OXCE+ again because it's gonna be incompatible with both OXC and OXCE :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:39:28 am by Meridian »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #572 on: May 14, 2016, 02:10:09 am »
FYI, "master" is just a copy of SupSuper's vanilla repo... you need the branch from the first post if you want any of my changes.

Well, thank you, this did it, the oxce2.9-plus-proto works ok but for a few warnings.

I spent 3+ hours trying to cherry-pick even the first (tiny) commit for this feature.
After giving up hope on automatic merge because of different line endings (and yes, I tried the first 10 ways I could google to do it... all failed), I eventually merged it by hand... yes, by hand.
Still, it doesn't compile:
- because it requires also next commit (wouldn't be so bad)
- and because it depends on at least another 2 previous commits, which I really can't be bothered to search for and painfully cherry-pick and test

If anyone has nerves from steel, feel free to do it... I'll happily commit your PR.

For the life of me I can't find that. Seriously, arcane merges are way simpler than this forum search crap.  Can you please post a few pointers?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 14, 2016, 04:14:51 am »
PS: once (if at all) Yankes merges OXC into OXCE, I am really not looking forward to re-implementing half of OXCE+ again because it's gonna be incompatible with both OXC and OXCE :(
I know your pain. I probably do this "fun" around end of this month.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #574 on: May 14, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
I know your pain. I probably do this "fun" around end of this month.

Yeah, that's reasonable time frame. (Go, go Yankes!)
As much as I'd like new stuff from the nightlies, I wouldn't ask Meridian to do something that takes so much time and is ultimately futile... If it was something simple, like (I think) definable waypoints for Blaster Bombs, then maybe - but only because the gain is immediate and the code is (probably) trivial.

EDIT:

I stumbled upon this post:
In Alien Containment it'd be useful to somehow mark aliens that won't be researchable again so that their space can be freed up.

I think it's an excellent idea. In Alien Containment, if the non-researchable (fully researched) aliens would be shown in a different colour, it would indeed make things easier to manage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:32:59 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #575 on: May 19, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »
Something's not right. After your 'no deployment crash' fix, I'm getting these crashes every time a Comm Wave spawns. Even after adding a deployment for Comm Wave.

EDIT: this error seems to be somehow related to regions and zones, not deployments. I'll keep checking.

EDIT2: It doesn't seem to have anything to do with your code... It just seems that no UFO can be set to fly over a non-default region, because the game will crash. Damn it to hell. Unless I'm mistaken...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:20:20 pm by Dioxine »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:15 pm »
Do you need help debugging?

And isn't it the same as this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4058.msg65130.html#msg65130 ?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2016, 06:48:35 pm »
Would you mind if I sent you the package?

When I added 'missing' zones (I made sure only zone 0 is needed for the mission), it broke looking for zone 24 or somesuch idiocy...

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:46 pm »
Would you mind if I sent you the package?

When I added 'missing' zones (I made sure only zone 0 is needed for the mission), it broke looking for zone 24 or somesuch idiocy...

Sure. In about 1 hour I'll have time for the rest of the evening. I'll be on IRC too.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #579 on: May 19, 2016, 07:43:51 pm »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-8IP37CA63Ld01nV2FoUDVwSU0/view?usp=sharing

No save, since all it takes is to start a new game and wait for the crash (around 3rd day of the month). The offending mission is called STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS_NO_PENALTY

I'll be really grateful for help.

Offline Stian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 19, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS_NO_PENALTY
    objective: 3
    spawnZone: 0
It appears to be caused by the spawnZone and objective combination. (the region with that spawnZone has only mission zones for objective 0). Changing spawnZone to 3 appears to remove the crash, but as I don't know the intent nor have that big a familiarity with the modding system, that might change other things as well. Just saw the difference with the other pogrom mission.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 19, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS_NO_PENALTY
    objective: 3
    spawnZone: 0
It appears to be caused by the spawnZone and objective combination. (the region with that spawnZone has only mission zones for objective 0). Changing spawnZone to 3 appears to remove the crash, but as I don't know the intent nor have that big a familiarity with the modding system, that might change other things as well. Just saw the difference with the other pogrom mission.

Yes, that is the final cause of the crash.

But the issue is probably somewhere else.
I spent a few hours playing with it, but only managed to confuse myself even more.

I recommend starting again with the ruleset for this feature from the scratch... in VERY small increments... and test every single addition to see if it works as expected. Maybe even test individual components by changing already existing ruleset temporarily. Eventually you should find either a typo in the ruleset; or a bug or missing feature in OXC.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #582 on: May 20, 2016, 04:23:06 am »
Solved that, it works now. Seems that it comes down to this:
1. in order for UFOs to fly, a region needs all its 6 mission zones
2. UFO going to spawn a terror site can only do so in zone 3
These observations might be wrong, but equipping my custom region with all 6 zones and changing the spawnzone for mission to 3 fixed it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2016, 12:08:48 am »
New version is up.

v2016-05-20
  + Unhardcoded kneel bonus and one-handed penalty, info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4647.msg65327.html#msg65327
  + SHIFT, ALT and CTRL cannot be used as user hotkeys anymore
  + Added separate sections for OXCE+ controls and advanced options
  + Added support for "allowedItemCategories" to starting conditions, info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4444.msg65287.html#msg65287
v2016-05-18
  + Showing firing/throwing/melee/psi in inventory, more info here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4520.msg65159.html#msg65159
  + Inventory tooltip now shows also item weight (optionally, showItemNameAndWeightInInventory: true)
  + Fixed CTD for UFOs without alien deployment
v2016-05-14
  + Added configurable difficulty-based retaliation delay, info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4630.msg64978.html#msg64978

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YRDViLS11c3RrRjg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:30:40 am by Meridian »

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 21, 2016, 07:13:55 am »
https://imgur.com/UGeN07t

You need more than the executable.