Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720074 times)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2016, 07:31:34 pm »
Hmm Game crashed when I clicked on Grand Total.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »
I was intending to take a stab at this but the sprite size is wrong; it should be 11x18, not 10x18. My old files are misaligned on purpose (so they don't collide with anything).

10x18 is the correct size. I checked it again, the sprites are actually 10 pixels wide. And even if they weren't, in the code each new sprite is put 10 pixels more to the right as the last one.

Proof for width 10: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Basescape/CraftInfoState.cpp#L188
Proof for height 18: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Basescape/CraftInfoState.cpp#L78

Also to have this fully functioning, HWP-like units should also have custom sprites (now they're all tanks, regardless if they're tanks, cyberdiscs, reapers or sectoids).
Also this brings me to... the vanilla equipment presentation is lacking in OXC; it was intended for 80 items limit, hence it is useless as info (the bar is always full). How about making it more useful? Maybe add optional function that counts equipment on weight basis (would not count HWPs), with a moddable number of weight units that represent each "equipment" sprite? Now musings time: possibly a weight limit on craft! (this one would count each soldier's weight = weight of their battle corpse, plus HWPs, plus all equipment, must be lower or equal the limit - or just count the weight of items for simplicity's sake). In an advanced model, it could limit the weight of loot, leading to DECISIONS (more soldiers with heavy gear? or more space for loot? What to grab, what to discard?) :)

As for Equipment and HWPs... they were not mentioned in the request, so I didn't change them... I'll think about them and then come back with questions and proposals.

Hmm Game crashed when I clicked on Grand Total.

Can you send me a save please?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »
10x18 is the correct size. I checked it again, the sprites are actually 10 pixels wide. And even if they weren't, in the code each new sprite is put 10 pixels more to the right as the last one.

Yes, but that's because they overlap :) The sprite proper is (normally) 9-pixel wide, plus 1 pixel black outline each side, equals 11. But to draw sprites in any kind of civilized fashion, there should be 11 or even better, 12 pixels on the spritesheet (so either 11x18 or 12x19), so each is clearly separated from the others and the artist has some space to maneuver :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:15 pm »
Now musings time: possibly a weight limit on craft! (this one would count each soldier's weight = weight of their battle corpse, plus HWPs, plus all equipment, must be lower or equal the limit - or just count the weight of items for simplicity's sake). In an advanced model, it could limit the weight of loot, leading to DECISIONS (more soldiers with heavy gear? or more space for loot? What to grab, what to discard?) :)
There was a discussion about this here, with quite a few ideas on what to count.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
Interesting read. One detail: if crafts have their own storage space, also the rule of crafts sharing storage with base's stores needs to be removed - these storages are separate.  And while I thought that Weight is the most logical choice as limiter, perhaps Size is ultimately the best choice since base storage space is counted in Size so it would be consistent. On limit per item count, while it certainly works as tactical limiter, I cannot agree - a rocket launcher is not the same as a flare, however you look at this.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:20:50 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
Yes, but that's because they overlap :) The sprite proper is (normally) 9-pixel wide, plus 1 pixel black outline each side, equals 11. But to draw sprites in any kind of civilized fashion, there should be 11 or even better, 12 pixels on the spritesheet (so either 11x18 or 12x19), so each is clearly separated from the others and the artist has some space to maneuver :)

Well, if that is the only issue, I think (98% sure) that you can define them even as 100x100 already if you wish. (If not let me know)

Rendered will however be only first 18 pixels from the top.
Horizontally all pixels will be rendered, but they will overlap; and if you don't start at 0, they will also be shifted (like now in piratez).

In either case, I will not be changing the effective available space for each sprite, that will remain 10x18.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:29 pm »
the rule of crafts sharing storage with base's stores needs to be removed - these storages are separate.
You could get stuck with stores filled with stuff you want to keep, ship filled with stuff you want to sell, and no way to swap the two  :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »
In either case, I will not be changing the effective available space for each sprite, that will remain 10x18.

I was never suggesting such a thing :) I'd even go so far as to suggest automatic increase of overlapping (less horizontal space per sprite) if the number of soldiers is bigger than it can fit on the screen (like in Master of Orion 1 & 2, for example) :) But that's another story. For spritesheet spacing, I'd like 12x19 (so you have some space to maneuver without resorting to using smaller sprites). Oh right, but this can be defined simply by telling the OXC how to cut the sheet (and keeping my sprites in the upper left corner of that defined space), right? No need for hardcoding anything? If that's the case I simply didn't know, and forgive me my ignorance.

(pcitured: extreme overlapping for labourers, no overlapping for farmers & soldiers, elegant as fock)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »
Oh right, but this can be defined simply by telling the OXC how to cut the sheet (and keeping my sprites in the upper left corner of that defined space), right? No need for hardcoding anything?

I cannot try it right now, but yes I think it should work this way.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2016, 02:12:50 pm »
Enjoying what you have done so far but on my last mission the game kept crashing to the desktop somehow, have attached a save and openxcom log. I was wondering also if you are considering a pirate themed version of commendations?

ps In the end I had to debug to get by, so maybe it was only that mission?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2016, 02:58:03 pm »
Played it for a couple of turns, no crash detected... Using 0.97D with the latest Meridian's version added.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2016, 04:01:32 pm »
Yep the crash whatever it was seems to  be unpredictable but the next mission went fine so maybe it's just a minor glitch not worth worrying about.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:35 pm »
Can you narrow down the case of crash? Is it during the enemy move? Does it crash when an enemy is moving? Or when he's using a weapon?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »
It always seemed to happen when I was moving one of my units.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2016, 11:25:43 pm »
Did you update the game i.e. the exe during a mission? I noticed that your inventory is wack/messed up!! Could that be the problem?