Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720213 times)

Offline debuser

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2016, 12:20:28 am »
Hello!

Does anyone have a working version of this in Linux?

I would really appreciate if you could share your process to get the most recent version of X-pirates compiled. or even the binary would be great.

I was able to compile the b336caf checkout of branch oxce2.5b-plus-prototypes from https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom.git

With bb33caf I noticed a problem regarding trying to save.

It would create a save game looking like this:
Code: [Select]
mods:
  - XcomUtil_Statstrings
  - pirate-music

Which causes the save game not to be loadable in game until you change it to:

mods:
  - piratez
  - XcomUtil_Statstrings
  - pirate-music

Even bb33caf does not contain the latest features Meridian has been working on. More recently I tried compiling 84aeb6ec3a70dbe75c5747a5c26f2176fb1cd6e1 also from the oxce2.5b-plus-prototypes branch but  I would run into these "‘INT_MAX’ was not declared in this scope" errors for the following files:

src/Basescape/SoldiersState.cpp
src/Battlescape/DebriefingState.cpp
src/Geoscape/AllocatePsiTrainingState.cpp
src/Geoscape/AllocateTrainingState.cpp

I could get past that if I added #include <limits.h> at the top of those files. However once all the files compiled it would give me a ton of  "undefined reference to `OpenXcom::...." for each of those files above.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2016, 12:45:57 am »
I don't see bb33caf anywhere.

If you mean b336caf... then that is just normal OpenXcom from SupSuper's repo... nothing to do with OXCE or OXCE+.

84aeb6e is the correct version to compile...

I have heard about "undefined reference..." from 2-3 people already either here or in youtube comments, but all of them solved it somehow... unfortunately they didn't bother to tell me/us how... if you find out, please share it with us afterwards.

PS: at some point, I will install linux on my machine too, to be able to support gcc too, but it can take some time.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2016, 12:25:00 pm »
FYI: Linux compilation errors solved in commit b1b8d63

Offline debuser

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »
Thanks The latest fixed works. I am sharing my binary I compiled on my system which is Debian 8 (64Bit)

https://www.mediafire.com/download/ym05lyjpzxu043f/OpenXcom_oxce2.5bP.tar.gz

To compile I did the following:

git clone https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom.git
cd OpenXcom
git fetch
git checkout oxce2.5b-plus-prototypes
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
make -j3

If it compiles succesful the binary appears under bin/openxcom

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:20 pm »
New version is up.

v2016-02-02
  + Added support for custom armor preview icons, more info here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4208.msg58705.html#msg58705
  + Fixed compilation issues under Linux

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2016, 10:50:27 am »
Thanks Meridian, much appreciated.

May I ask what's your opinion on the unlimited range vision mod? I'm wondering if it can be a starting point for a more elaborate system of stealth/spot.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2016, 11:05:13 am »
Thanks Meridian, much appreciated.
May I ask what's your opinion on the unlimited range vision mod? I'm wondering if it can be a starting point for a more elaborate system of stealth/spot.

The 20 limit in original game was there because of performance reasons.
The more you need, the slower it will be... and it's not linear (i.e. 40 is much more than just 2x slower than 20)

Unhardcoding it is possible and easy.
Actually, it is already done in OXCE.

maxViewDistance: 20
  maxViewDistanceAtDark: 9
  maxDarknessToSeeUnits: 9

And it is a pull request for vanilla too, since ages: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/904

As for my personal opinion:
1. I don't see much use for it, 20 seems enough... but my imagination is not as big as yours :)
2. Yankes said he is already working on something like that... and it's a bad idea if 2 (or more) people work on the same thing

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:28 am »
Thanks for the answer. I don't think 20 as such is not enough, it's more about designing a system with dynamic spot - so units with better observation skill will spot enemies who are further, and units with better stealth can get closer without being spotted. Much like in UFO: Aftershock. I remember that Dioxine explained it somewhere.

Frankly it was more of a thought experiment than anything else, but I also have a real problem. For the X-Com Files mod I'm working on, I would like to add "undercover" missions where you can only use certain equipment (only concealable weapons like pistols and only selected armours, meaning no armour). I plan to use the "underwater only" mechanics, which won't allow you to use normal weapons.

My question boils down to: is it possible to make such a category of weapons? I think it would require changing the boolean for underwater only/everywhere into an integer, so we could have different environments for different stuff. Plus everything regarding armour behaviour that was already discussed to death in hybrid game threads.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:52 am »
Does maxDarknessToSeeUnits means how much lighting the target must have to be detected? I never saw such mechanics in action.

I am thinking about how stealth could work in OXC. Catgirl "sneaking" is very gamey, acting almost as a chess piece right now.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:25 am »
Thanks for the answer. I don't think 20 as such is not enough, it's more about designing a system with dynamic spot - so units with better observation skill will spot enemies who are further, and units with better stealth can get closer without being spotted. Much like in UFO: Aftershock. I remember that Dioxine explained it somewhere.

Frankly it was more of a thought experiment than anything else, but I also have a real problem. For the X-Com Files mod I'm working on, I would like to add "undercover" missions where you can only use certain equipment (only concealable weapons like pistols and only selected armours, meaning no armour). I plan to use the "underwater only" mechanics, which won't allow you to use normal weapons.

My question boils down to: is it possible to make such a category of weapons? I think it would require changing the boolean for underwater only/everywhere into an integer, so we could have different environments for different stuff. Plus everything regarding armour behaviour that was already discussed to death in hybrid game threads.

Categorizing weapons and armor in any imaginable way is easy.

The hard part is what to do with that information.
There are many ways how to interpret this categorization, some of which are easy to implement, some are harder and some are probably even impossible.

Example of "easy" is the under-water categorization (and anything similar).
You flag a weapon to be usable under water only and check whether you are under water... if yes, give error.
I.e. checks are done only when you actually try doing something, not before.

If you however needed functionality that these weapons cannot even be equipped on the craft at all... that would be considerably harder...
...which brings us to armor.
Since the soldiers are wearing armor already before the mission, I cannot just produce an error "Armor is not allowed"... because I don't know what kind of mission will the player decide to go for.

What I could do is make them undress the armor (either all armor; or armor which has the same (new) flag as the (also new) flag on the mission type).
The armor would then be retrieved after the mission as "recovered items" so that you don't lose it.

Would that cover your need?

PS: I could also un-equip all disallowed weapons (i.e. put them on the ground before mission), and disable the ability to equip them... probably better than to find out during battle that you can't use any of your weapons :) Problem will arise if the player doesn't bring any usable weapons at all :D

Does maxDarknessToSeeUnits means how much lighting the target must have to be detected? I never saw such mechanics in action.

I am thinking about how stealth could work in OXC. Catgirl "sneaking" is very gamey, acting almost as a chess piece right now.

"maxDarknessToSeeUnits" means how dark it must be so that game treats the dusk/dawn as night.

0 = day
15 = night

1-14 are dusk/dawn... but for visibility purposes they need to be treated either as day or night;

"maxDarknessToSeeUnits: 9" defines that 10-14 is night and 1-9 is day
"maxDarknessToSeeUnits: 4" would mean that 5-14 is night and 1-4 is day.... etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2016, 11:43:27 am »
Yes, unequipping disallowed stuff would be good enough for my objectives. However, if applied to a hybrid game, it would create weird effects like people in jump suits breathing water and not dying.

Therefore for armours I think you should also be able point to which armour is used instead. Or just not spawn the soldier at all, assuming they're sitting the mission out because of no SCUBA for them.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2016, 11:57:47 am »
Yes, unequipping disallowed stuff would be good enough for my objectives.

I assume you will need more than one flag? For different categorizations?
If yes, I will actually try to encode multiple boolean flags into one integer attribute (SO OLD-SCHOOL! :D)... don't worry, it's easier to understand than it looks.

However, if applied to a hybrid game, it would create weird effects like people in jump suits breathing water and not dying.

Well, you can go to Mars without any armor already.
Are we talking on theoretical level or is "Xcom Files" a hybrid game?

Therefore for armours I think you should also be able point to which armour is used instead. Or just not spawn the soldier at all, assuming they're sitting the mission out because of no SCUBA for them.

Well, if you don't have that armor when you leave the base, I cannot magically summon it. (I could... but I won't)
I can make the soldiers sit in the craft, not fighting.... but the player who doesn't know this will just lose the mission immediately (before turn 1), because there will be no soldiers capable of fighting.
All in all, I think this is overengineering... and again same question... is this just a theoretical discussion or are you doing a hybrid game?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »
I assume you will need more than one flag? For different categorizations?

I'm not exactly sure at this point, but I suppose more is better. I wouldn't want to limit modding possibilities.

If yes, I will actually try to encode multiple boolean flags into one integer attribute (SO OLD-SCHOOL! :D)... don't worry, it's easier to understand than it looks.

I hgave complete faith in you. :)

Well, you can go to Mars without any armor already.

Good point, this will need fixing too.

I assume armours and items can have more than 1 category? Like both underwater and space.

Are we talking on theoretical level or is "Xcom Files" a hybrid game?

Not at  this point, but if it's possible, I'd love to do it. At least some special underwater missions would be nice, since there will be TFTD races.

Well, if you don't have that armor when you leave the base, I cannot magically summon it. (I could... but I won't)

I meant your default starting TFTD gear, or other "armour" that is free, like civilian clothes.

I can make the soldiers sit in the craft, not fighting.... but the player who doesn't know this will just lose the mission immediately (before turn 1), because there will be no soldiers capable of fighting.

Not a problem, they will learn. There will be Ufopaedia.orgrmation on that (mostly in armour descriptions). And maybe you could add a message why the mission is over instantly, like the "all aliens died in crash" one.

All in all, I think this is overengineering... and again same question... is this just a theoretical discussion or are you doing a hybrid game?

As I said, it's not that exactly need all of this, but it'd be useful. I'm thinking ahead though, since these are modding features that have been cropping up for years on this forum, and so I think they're badly needed.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2016, 02:02:05 pm »
OK, I'll see what I can do in the first step and then we can talk again.

Btw. if anyone's interested, my todo list is getting shorter, hopefully in 2-3 weeks all will be done:
 - Fix: Fixed items on the ground are already invisible but still occupy space... destroy them completely when armor is changed
 - Todo: Beer/bandages/etc. should disappear when fully used up (like e.g. fuso knives)
 - Todo: in debug-mode only: show a history of all melee and ranged attacks (ignore grenades?) for the current turn with "chance to hit %" and result (hit or miss, resp. multiple hits/misses)
 - Todo: User option: Damage roll on melee and ranged weapons with two dice (i.e. instead of rng(0,200), use rng(0,100)+rng(0,100))
 - Todo: In stores overview, sort by clicking on column name, remove sort button
 - Request: Solarius: disallowed weapons and armors per mission type (unequip before mission, dont allow to re-equip)
 - Request: XOps: Auto patrol
 - Request: Solarius: Global stores (for total item count)
 - Request: Orz: Ufo tracker window

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:35 pm »
Awesome, thanks.

Though I should note that global stores wasn't my idea, I merely expressed interest in it.