Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328703 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2019, 07:30:24 pm »
I find the bottleneck design more beneficial to the enemy than myself, since I can't perform a pronged attack. After all the enemy is stronger, so the last thing I want is to let them fortify behind a single gate. It is much better if they disperse into smaller hunting parties, since it's my territory after all and I can pick them off more easily.
Besides, the bottleneck looks fucking lame. Who would realistically build a base like this?

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:52 pm »
I don't know, letting the enemies disperse on a hangar and then picking them off with strong but common weapons (IE RPG HEAT rounds, HMG's with plasteel ammo, grenades, etc) always worked well with me, and if you find it too dangerous to let them possibly get line of sight to your soldiers, you can just wait for them behind the barrack's doors and jump them with axes and maces once they get close to one of the doors, plus you can just lob satchel charges into the hangar continously. I've dealt with any crackdown up to mercs with this design.

The real drawback is when enemies get into the sewers. You can still get them of course, but you should prob bring along some dogs to sniff 'em out so you don't get caught by surprise.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:46 pm »
Thing is, I don't like waiting, I prefer to have the initiative. And I have enough people to set such traps on multiple routes, not just one.
Well, obviously strategies will be different between players. :)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:56 pm »
1. Do you use shades? If so, for what combat role?
2. Where is this function to turn the dead into shades coded? (part of the answer: Transformations.rul) https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6902.0.html
3. What is the point of the shake up ceremony?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:59:42 am by Zharkov »

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2019, 01:00:21 am »
2. Where is this function to turn the dead into shades coded? (part of the answer: Transformations.rul)
1. No.
2. What are you not finding in Transformations.rul? It holds all the information for the actual transformation (items, technologies, etc. are stored in Piratez.rul).
3. It does some skill balancing to make terrible recruits slightly less terrible.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2019, 01:14:13 am »
2. Where is this function to turn the dead into shades coded? (part of the answer: Transformations.rul)

1) Shades are pretty much a scout/support role, given there pretty good invisibility. And psi panic is always useful, even if the shades arn't the most powerful example of the tool. Downside they are frail when spotted unlike some other similar role units. Also some use to be had from the fact the light they carry extends a smidgen beyond there invisibility range. That said, i dont use them frequently. The stats necessary to come out as a effective shade(high bravery/voodoo str/voodoo skill), mean the original gal was probably a very good voodoo gal to start with, and would be protected as such. I just dont lose that many.

2) No idea sorry.

3) shakeup ceremony is explicitly for making the worst of hired gals(not warriors or vets) tolerably useful. This is done by normalizing there stats to a given level. Points above those thresholds are lost, while anything below is brought up. Given how pricey gal hires are the xcom tradition of hire and fire is not as feasible. So you can hire and fire OR trade some cheaply crafted items and some healing time, to bring the noodle brained wimps up to tolerable standard.

niculinux

« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »
Please somene may provide a full list of night filter vision colors? There are 15 of them. Moreover, in Jnune 2601 (with 0.99J11) i still not obtained a wrench. What is the best way to get, accurdin to your experience?

Assaultin a small Church, ship, the ship room is alway overcrowded, as vanilla xcom; they think it is precious? And nice wallpaper n red lantern villa mission :D

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2019, 05:35:01 pm »
Assaultin a small Church, ship, the ship room is alway overcrowded, as vanilla xcom; they think it is precious?

Simpler: it's warm there. So they sit around the reactor and tell stories.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
Please somene may provide a full list of night filter vision colors?
Tag, you're it.

Moreover, in Jnune 2601 (with 0.99J11) i still not obtained a wrench. What is the best way to get, accurdin to your experience?
Trader Warehouse, Excavation, or interrogating the bazillion Tough Guy/Gal you capture. It's easy to get.

niculinux

« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2019, 05:47:08 pm »
OK, and as for negative points you get when

1) dead men looted
2) innocent bystanders and/or mutnts getting kiled in action
3) killed civilans

Am i missing something? and as for 1); why?

And in the brand new .J11 mimssion "ratmen cave"; i even with the castway outfit eneded up boxed; what kind of armoris player allowed t pick to get in the action?

Edit: rsearching a decripted data disk told me about iron tribe, and a tridimensional gate...it may be related to the dark ones?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:53:33 pm by niculinux »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2019, 07:02:06 pm »
Just read the ratman cache text and then click on "what to wear".
Reading the desciption would have been enough to tell you that gals won't help you. Only Lokk'Naar, iirc.
And you get negative points for looting only for enemies that you are not supposed to kill in the first place.

niculinux

« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2019, 07:18:04 pm »
Just read the ratman cache text and then click on "what to wear".
Reading the desciption would have been enough to tell you that gals won't help you. Only Lokk'Naar, iirc.
And you get negative points for looting only for enemies that you are not supposed to kill in the first place.

Thanks again, i clicked on the button but the description tells "unknown2. Sorry do not have a screenshot right now. Maybe it still has to be filled out by Dioxine, don't know

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2019, 08:57:24 pm »
Thanks again, i clicked on the button but the description tells "unknown2. Sorry do not have a screenshot right now. Maybe it still has to be filled out by Dioxine, don't know
That just means you have not yet researched Lokk'Narr soldiers and as such have no armors for them.

niculinux

« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2019, 04:44:25 pm »
Got in September 2601, and aside from the workshop im building also a beast den (50 storage space is ver hady!) and also ot the convoy, leaving the airbus for infiltration missions. I wonder what is that "destroyer" , and oh a nice tribute during a humanist safehouse raid..

niculinux

« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2019, 10:18:54 pm »
A question about the bounty prizes: if i do not take all of lvl D, and i obtain a C brass medal unlocking the c-prizes will appear and override the d-ones in the manufacturing menu, so i will lose these? Same goes for other upper tiers?