Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1433591 times)

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #2055 on: February 07, 2018, 02:29:02 pm »
Oh absolutely. The bike could be armed only with the Auto Ax and I'd still probably think it overpowered. I frequently deploy the bike with no ammo on a low risk mission just to save some cash.

I also agree on the HWP Howitzer being great. Though on this playthrough it seemed that the Assault Bike unlocked months earlier than the Howitzer, and the bike is so much faster and better armored that I'll probably just deploy a mortar man or two instead.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:09 pm »
Regarding ammo belts: yes, it is a problem with ammo consumption on HWP-armors, but it's fixed in later versions of OXCE+. You just need to update it, or wait for new version of the mod.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:42 pm »
As recommended im posting this as a bug report. Normally I dont bother with aircar missions because they usually spawn too far away to reach. However in this save file the aircar mission will remain long enough to nab it.

The bug is that the Academy Student + Trophy are not spawning on the map. Some random loot is spawning (beers, vodka, meat ive seen so far). In one reroll nothing spawned at all on the map. Also no points are being given either.

Since that is a heck-o-lot of tokens from that trophy its kinda a big thing to be missing out on it.

(the savefile is set before launching my aircar, so youll have to launch the craft and skip a few popups before the car gets there - the only thing more painful is nosing around at the dismal status of my operation)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:44 pm »
I gave the save like 10 tries (latest update used just like you do) and the academy student + throphy spawns 100% of the time.

All I do is deploy and instantly end turn to cause the instant-win.

I suggest to reinstall the mod if this keeps happening.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: February 11, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »
I gave the save like 10 tries (latest update used just like you do) and the academy student + throphy spawns 100% of the time.

Well I just realized one thing that I do differently, ive installed OXCE+ v3.10 (01/31/18) and the change in engine could, potentially, have something to do with this but I don't know why.
(so this may actually be a beta testing bug report regarding v3.10...)

It had one other bug that dioxine will have to address before the game would load too, which I corrected in the piratez.rul so that I could proceed (the Rangefinder item has to either be deleted, since it appears to be deactivated, or it needs to be given clipsize: -1 because the engine now cares about that sort of thing). Main reason im using 3.10 is because of the new added interface code allowing text color changes to ufopedia articles.

Just to double check I ran the aircar race again and got a slew of randomized loot, but no Academy Student and no Trophy. Pic related.

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 13, 2018, 12:14:03 am »
For a quick fix, open up Piratez.rul and search for STR_ACADEMY_HIERARCHY (it's line 61885 on I1 if you haven't edited the file).  Three lines under that is a line that says "needItem: true" - change true to false and you should be set.

I just now ran into this problem in 0.99I.

This fix worked.  Thank you!

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:18 pm »
Both of these were balance decisions - moonshine used to give stun to the target, so you could stun enemies by force-feeding them moonshine.

Im okay with this. It may seem comical but it reminds me of those cartoons where someone is held down and forced to drink a bunch of liquor and they get drunk.
(then again using liquor items on friendlies, or non-friendlies is tanamount to the same thing, even if its saving their life)

Questions like these make for very good game design discussion and problem solving tests.

It reminds me of using drug and poison items on npcs in fallout (in FO2 you're even supposed to use a Jet ampuole to poison weston in the NCR, in both games you can use the steal skill to reverse pickpocket plastic explosives or dynamite onto npcs too, though at least that involves a skill roll). In Fallout Tactics choosing a medic type to start as literally gives you Poison Hypos that you can just go up to someone and "use" on them and they'll fall over dead from massive poison dose, no skill roll required.

Its not the purview of this engine, but generally speaking an unfriendly character is going to be opposed to receiving treatment or items used on them regardless of the intention (small pox blankets mentality, dont know whats in that hypo). Which should require a melee attack roll to accomplish, and in place of conducting damage a success just means the "use" effects are delivered. Though when they're knocked out they do not get a chance to defend, so it can simply be used on them as if they were a friendly.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2062 on: February 18, 2018, 11:01:41 am »
Thanks for the bugreports. I believe I have all these (and many more) fixed. Release coming soon.

Offline Darkfirephoenix

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 18, 2018, 05:52:15 pm »
So... it seems like I screwed myself over and got Contacts: Reticulans BEFORE getting my hands on a Mechtoid, hence softlocking myself (because all endgame techs are locked BEHIND the Reticulan Powersystems, for which I NEED a Mechtoid)... is that intended?

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 18, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »
So... it seems like I screwed myself over and got Contacts: Reticulans BEFORE getting my hands on a Mechtoid, hence softlocking myself (because all endgame techs are locked BEHIND the Reticulan Powersystems, for which I NEED a Mechtoid)... is that intended?
It's a bug. More info here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5345.msg91715.html#msg91715

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: March 03, 2018, 09:41:42 am »
I just now ran into this problem in 0.99I.

This fix worked.  Thank you!

Same here .. Thanks

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:48 am »
The event which spawns the Secure Freight mission... which I just noticed started launching in my playtrough... is erringly Unlocked/Get1Free by all 4 of these techs... instead of Requires being used to require all of them.

At least Ethereal I believe said that it requires all four of those, and since "The Guild Is Alarmed" is on that list I do believe this is an error because otherwise the Alarmed stage wouldnt be necessary.

However this would mean that The Guild Is Angry would have to have intentionally been placed in the Get1Free category for each of those topics. As opposed to it instead having a Requires and listing those topics under it for the event/tech.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: March 04, 2018, 07:06:10 am »
I've always thought that was actually intentional.  Because if you're on the way to getting gauss weapons and/or nuclear lasers, or are capable enough to capture a guildmaster, then obviously you're clearly ready for heavy freighters.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: March 04, 2018, 11:58:41 am »
Good job with the research here.
But, I never heart of someone losing a campaign because he couldn't fight heavy freighters.
I let 4-5 heavy freighters do their job and never felt any impact @ my score worth mentioning.
If this turns out to be a real problem (for reasons I can't see right now) it could be turned into it's own topic like !Hunting for the big fish! (researchable switch like Organ Grinder)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: March 04, 2018, 10:26:20 pm »
or are capable enough to capture a guildmaster.
Ethereal: good job with the research there

No what this means is if you even get a Broken Trader Engineer it will jump immediately to Guild-Is-Angry and spawn heavy freight. You dont have to capture or research a guildmaster at all. Also previously it would Require reaching The Guild Is Alarmed before it would progress to Angry so you knew you was getting closer to that retribution... you had to get the guildmaster, broken engineer, broken rep, plus all the ones under 'alarmed.

But contrary to thinking of the freight as an optional mission I think it should be a forced one, therefore like soviet russia it comes to you rather than you going to it... no exclamation points on this one, and there's nothing that the secure freight missions unlock for you (besides pain, do not remove your hand from the box paul atreidies). Underwater missions were required in order to get a slew of other important stuff.

The Guild Is Alarmed is supposed to be a warning that pissing them off further by interrogating and breaking higher escelon guys is going to cause some kind of blowback, which culminates in the secure freight. Whats the point of labeling it as such if its just going to change to them being that easy to set off... (it would be "The Guild Is Angry (Dep.)" like so many other meta-tech dependencies in the game)

Technically I can handle heavy freighter missions by being an asshole and bringing barrel bombs for each of my flying ladies, but thats not the point (the one I mentioned, I shot down and just left it there over the north pole). Im not ready for them, and like ive been explaining they're showing up too early anyway.

If it is an intentional change then I wont argue with that, the guild is just going to be more twitchy without warning. But since The Guild Is Alarmed is still there and named like it is im inclined to believe that this is a bug.