aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434139 times)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2016, 12:41:23 pm »
I suspect something with the enemy deployment, or engine explosion, but I've never seen this error before. Anyone knows what it means?

EDIT: it's not deployment, I ran it like dozen of times in QB mode. Invalid terrain seems unlikely as well, it happens too often and the terrains are well-tested...

It happened once to me in Battlescape when I was fighting the Doom enemies. A bomb/grenade went off and I got the error.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2016, 12:52:32 pm »
Good to know. So all the evidence seems to be pointing at engine explosion... any code experts? Maybe it has something to do with explosion chaining in OXCE? Too bad we can't test damaged UFOs in QB...

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:57 pm »
Good to know. So all the evidence seems to be pointing at engine explosion... any code experts? Maybe it has something to do with explosion chaining in OXCE? Too bad we can't test damaged UFOs in QB...

I will have a look in the evening.
Should I have save scumming on or off? I.e. does the error come always or only sometimes?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »
Only sometimes, 50% of cases I think. And thank you very much.

Offline Quanti

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2016, 07:26:14 am »
There seems to be a problem with the new healer armour, whenever I hit the button to manufacture it the game crashes. Using the old exe (OpenXcomEx.exe) lets me start manufacturing but as soon as one is completed the game crashes. Doesn't show up on the list of options in new battle on the main menu either.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2016, 11:57:45 am »
Somehow a portion of the code got lost between battle tests and release. WTF. Anyway, to fix this, add this to Piratez.rul, under 'items:' section

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_NURSE_OUTFIT_ADV
    size: 0.3
    costSell: 80000
    listOrder: 1684

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »
Only sometimes, 50% of cases I think. And thank you very much.

So far:
 - I can confirm it happens because of engine explosion
 - I am still trying to find a more specific place... but it happens "randomly", so I am now removing randomness, because once it crashes, I need to start debugging again and just starting PirateZ takes about 20 minutes (yes minutes, not seconds) on my computer... so I can do 3 attempts per hour
 - I now made engine always explode and always explode with maximum damage (250)... btw. with minimum damage (180), it doesn't crash!!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
- I now made engine always explode and always explode with maximum damage (250)... btw. with minimum damage (180), it doesn't crash!!

And that was the last missing piece of chaos :) Turned out a few tiles pointed to non-existing tiles on being destroyed. You might try it, just to be sure, but several tests ended in no crashes (files go into /TERRAIN). Thanks a lot! I'd probably never figured it out by myself, or at least, not that quickly...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:23:10 pm by Dioxine »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »
You might try it, just to be sure, but several tests ended in no crashes (files go into /TERRAIN).

Doesn't crash anymore.

Offline Galwail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2016, 06:44:52 pm »
Wow, thanks for the quick fix  :)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:38 am »
Not a bug, more like a minor inconvenience: Guardian/Heavy Carapace Armor and Harbinger/Advanced Power Armor have different designations in the Bootypedia/Manufacture Interface.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2016, 12:22:13 pm »
I have observed some strange pathfinding in this patch. Sometimes when ordering a gal to go somewhere, rather than making the closest thing to a bee line, they deliberately avoid taking a direct path, even though it is on flat terrain and there are no obstacles. According to the estimates of remaining TUs, the AI is just choosing the shortest path, but the calculations doesn't make sense. Again, this does not always happen, but it occurs frequently

EDIT: see attached
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:37:02 pm by Foxhound634 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2016, 12:53:58 pm »
There are obstacles, just hidden - the grass is blocking movement for some reason. I could repair that but I don't want to change Hobbes' terrains too much.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2016, 12:57:03 pm »
@Foxhound. I noticed the same and I think Meridian did as well in his video #33. It is not a game stopper/changer for me.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »
The difference is, Meridian landed on Savanna and the high grass there is supposed to be slowing you down. This terrain (Taiga) is *not* supposed to act like this.