aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1435623 times)

KZad Bhat

Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #2685 on: September 06, 2018, 10:43:00 pm »
No, Rince Wind, that isn't precisely a bug, just an attempt by the engine to fit longer strings to a single line. Long strings get smaller fonts. Check out Alt+H hit monitoring in combat, that gets weird! Best seen taking snap or auto shots with SMGs, and check after each round of firing.

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:42 am »
Mission: Infested Cellar
Game ver. 99J2

1. Giant Rats are probably bugged or maybe their evasion rate is way too high. My gal with Melee 131 and CtH 163% just missed for 5 turns in row all her 55 melee attacks.

2. Rats have ability to destroy armor that is comparable to high end weapons. One rat can destroy 10 points of armor in single turn.

3. Map is often divided between several rooms with no connection and you need to dig tunnels to access them, and destroying single block requires three successful hits. Is this on purpose, since there is always pickaxe spawned? I mean this is mission with worthless rewards that I am doing only for experience. When there is access to entire map from beggining, it is very short mission, but when I need to dig for 10 or 15 turns, it is very frustrating waste of time.     

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2687 on: September 12, 2018, 03:30:23 am »
Mission: Infested Cellar
Game ver. 99J2
1. Giant Rats are probably bugged or maybe their evasion rate is way too high. My gal with Melee 131 and CtH 163% just missed for 5 turns in row all her 55 melee attacks.

I don't normally adress outdated versions, but this seems important. From what I gathered, there seems to be a problem with hit detection on the rats, depending on where you stand in relation to them. Might be caused by them using the thinnest possible hitbox. I'll better change it.

The others are not bugs. I don't adress issues with grinding. "Armor damage comparable to high end weapons"? Not really, specialized low-tier weapons are already better at this.

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: September 12, 2018, 05:12:33 am »
I don't normally adress outdated versions

Printer is almost ready and it should allow me to upgrade. And Reticulans will arrive any day....  maybe tomorrow... maybe next week in worst case... soon, I am sure.

Where the hell are they? Did they got lost in space or something???       

The others are not bugs.

Is all that digging in such low profile mission really neccessary? How about some rebalancing and reducing number of hits needed to destroy wall block to 1 from 3? Do you realize that sometimes digging one block takes several turns? And maybe tone down a little bit rat's ability to chew armor? Or maybe some reward for player - harvest rat's teeth and build handheld Tunnel Boring Machine from them? Or melee weapon with high armor damage?         

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: September 12, 2018, 06:15:59 am »
The issues with maps being closed off sometimes is not something easily addressed. The nature of the map generation means that unless you expressly design all possible combinations of adjacency and rotation of the various parts to line up you will end up with closed off parts. That's 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x total number of chunks possibilities. Assuming even say 8 possible chunks means you have 8192 possible variations. And that's just the intersections of 1 chunk, take a whole map and you have tens of thousands of possibilities.

The other option is to use static maps but that sacrifices variation of game play. Every encounter of a given mission would be identical. Now for something like the cellar that you only ever need to clear once that might be okay. But the underlying flaw of the map system will always exist.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2690 on: September 12, 2018, 06:24:18 am »
Is all that digging in such low profile mission really neccessary?

Doing this mission more than once is unneccesary in the first place, and blocked areas appear maybe only once per 10 missions. This map is also used for other missions, though, and jumping through flaming rings just to "fix" that one is not my idea of a time well spent. Legion has adressed the case at more length above. Hey I even added the pick there, I hope it doesn't insult player's intelligence too much; I only did this because this is supposed to be low-threat mission and player can be forgiven for forgetting to think.

The rat ability is good as it is, it was funny to see master campers being discomforted by what is an extremely weak enemy otherwise, only because their tactics were ill suited for this type of mission. In short, I don't intend to remove the only challenge there is to be found in this mission.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:25:59 am by Dioxine »

KZad Bhat

« Reply #2691 on: September 12, 2018, 08:25:08 am »
Adding the pickaxe isn't even so insulting to those of us who forget to bring one. Half the time when I've had this mission the first time, that was also the first pickaxe I'd seen so far.

And there is too a reason to do this mission many times, to save the Friendly Cat! What are you thinking, Dioxine?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: September 12, 2018, 11:47:29 am »
Do rats have high cutting resistance or is the problem the above mentioned? I hit a rat with a fuso sword a couple of times (at last according to the sound effect those were hits) and it didn't kill them.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2693 on: September 12, 2018, 11:55:21 am »
They don't have especially great cutting resistance. If you hit them (confirmed by the hit sound) and they don't care, then it's a hitbox bug.
Don't attack them diagonally and it should work.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2694 on: September 12, 2018, 12:15:23 pm »
And there is too a reason to do this mission many times, to save the Friendly Cat! What are you thinking, Dioxine?

You're absolutely right, it's advantageous to do so, but still not "neccesary" :) And cats were called "worthless" by Vansi anyway, weren't they :)

I mean this is mission with worthless rewards that I am doing only for experience. 

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: September 12, 2018, 12:38:06 pm »
Good to know.

And I want cats, so far none have survived in the 2 cellar missions.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2696 on: September 12, 2018, 02:55:43 pm »
And Reticulans will arrive any day....  maybe tomorrow... maybe next week in worst case... soon, I am sure.

Where the hell are they? Did they got lost in space or something???       

Man, all this sectoweed isn't going to smoke itself.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2697 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:36 pm »
I'll just chime in here on some observations of the cellar missions.   I've fought it 5 or 6 times and only had a blocked section spawn once.  It does take several turns of pickaxing to get through.

Saving cats is kind of a roll of the dice.  I've had the cats spawn right in rat clusters and go down before I ever saw them.  Other times they were safe no where near the rodents.

Despite the trouble reported with melee, the rats are super squishy.  The best tactic I can suggest is showing up with the fastest firing shot guns you have.  Even Ol shotguns work great, but domestics, mil shotties, and best yet combat shotguns, street sweepers, or assault shotguns.   These all do wonders on the rodent problems.  Bring as many gals as you can with shotties and you will do fine.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: September 12, 2018, 04:51:54 pm »
I've also observed that melee attacks against rats never seem to connect unless it is a reaction melee attack. Those do reliably connect.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2699 on: September 12, 2018, 05:34:16 pm »
Another good weapon against rodents are, unsurprisingly, incendiaries. They do not only kill them pretty reliably, but can also be used to block their way.