Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1418166 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
The tech tree viewer must be faulty there. Indeed there is STR_DIPLOMACY (Dioplomacy) and STR_MISSION_DIPLOMACY (enemy mission called the same). For Diplomacy, you need:
Spoiler:
- Social Hierarchy
- Plotting
- plus, you need to research a single Pillow Book.

Offline superschokokeks

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »
But I did research Pillow book.. Or not? In my pedia I found Pillow book...

Edit: Woah guys. I can research pillow book, then built one and research it again? Seriously?
That is counter-intuitive and imho should be changed. Whole research got to stop because I didn't want to built a pillow book, because I
didn't really saw a good use of it (some people will, but I'm a bad x-com player. so let met believe stupid things!.. Well no.. don't do that)

Well then.. Sorry for whining about bugs and spamming or something like that
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:27:03 pm by superschokokeks »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2016, 12:17:11 am »
Basically any items like that - books, data discs etc. offer random free tech when researched. Everyone will learn this rather quickly, no worries.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2016, 11:30:11 am »
Basically any items like that - books, data discs etc. offer random free tech when researched. Everyone will learn this rather quickly, no worries.

I think the complaint here is different, although poorly written.
Similar to complaints about dynamite research several months ago.

The issue is that (from player's perspective) you have already researched Pillow Book when you finished the Plotting research. You can manufacture it, so hey, you know everything about it, right?
And since it is not a very appealing manufacturing project, 99% of the people will never manufacture it, because they see no point in it.
And thus they will also never start researching it "again".

It makes (some) sense when you know the tech tree and once you get explanation from the author... but for new players, this is beyond confusing.

PS: speaking from my own experience... if I had not looked at the research tree in the techtreeviewer on the web... I would also never manufacture a pillow book... and would be cut off from critical research path until year 2608 when I would run out of things to research and research pillow book as last.... if I even bothered to build it in the first place, which I think I wouldn't... so effectively I would be stuck forever.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
Perhaps it's good to read the Pedia articles carefully. Citation: "{NEWLINE}The Pillow Books, as we call the best of 'em, require a Library to make but can be further researched for even more ideas" (bold added). I can allow to circumvent this step but this would lack substance (you haven't actually made any pillow book, so how come you're suddenly brighter?). It always amazes me how otherwise very intelligent people often don't see what's right in front of them... I guess I need to ask a third party because for me it seems dumb simple, yet for others - extremely complicated. But I have a feeling this would level off through the law of averages.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:51:23 am by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:51 am »
Perhaps it's good to read the Pedia articles carefully. Citation: "{NEWLINE}The Pillow Books, as we call the best of 'em, require a Library to make but can be further researched for even more ideas" (bold added). I can allow to circumvent this step but this would lack substance (you haven't actually made any pillow book, so how come you're suddenly brighter?).

Yes, I fully agree, we are all lazy bastards and should definitely read more :-)
I even read that (on camera) and immediately built a Library as a result... but then other things (e.g. a mission) popped up and I just forgot about it...
... and once you forget it and then return back, both manufacturing and research topic called "Pillow Book" are just not attractive enough to care...

I have no suggestions how to improve this, unfortunately, just raising a concern.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:18 pm »
Different things are attractive to different people. But I guess I need to remove this extra dependency after all, I just thought that it is by any account un-fun if the player is forced to do something that was supposed to be a bonus prize.

Offline Aldaron

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2016, 05:05:08 pm »
Hello, reporting a bug here. My game crashes if I try to manufacture Hellerium Distilling.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2016, 05:16:43 pm »
Hello, reporting a bug here. My game crashes if I try to manufacture Hellerium Distilling.

Bug fix is here:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.msg61855.html#msg61855

It will be fixed in the next release.

Offline Aldaron

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 15, 2016, 05:42:33 pm »

Offline superschokokeks

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 15, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »
I read that describtion too and totally forget about it..
Sorry for my bad english..

Don't know if its a bug a or a feature:
you can research newspaper without assigning Brainers to it.
Choose it, leave it by 0 and you get the result.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 15, 2016, 06:11:28 pm »
Sometimes I've gotten that to generally only super tiny research cost item. Mostly the newspapers. I thought it was just overflow since research professor checks daily.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #297 on: April 15, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »
you can research newspaper without assigning Brainers to it.
Choose it, leave it by 0 and you get the result.

You don't even have to even select it, it has something like 33% chance of being researched within a day. That's by design.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:53 pm »
Oo neat

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »
I just noticed that pretty much all corpses in the Piratez_Factions.rul are recover: false. I'm quite confused as a lot of research projects still require them.

I've been struggling along fighting security guards for most of my missions (somehow all I get is Academy targets, with no academician in sight, only a few explorers and a LOT of guards & drones) and was thinking "at least I get lots of armor parts", until I noticed I didn't have any, the debriefing page didn't say I looted anything and then looked in the ruleset.