aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609313 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G4 - 15 Jul - Shipwrecked Summer Re-Reloaded
« Reply #4815 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:44 pm »
The starting six have the 'Escaped Lunatics' commendation... the others, well, currently there is no way of distinguishing them.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: July 18, 2017, 12:28:14 am »
Well as long the player doesn't mix hires within the delivery window(to the same base), and remembers to tag there name on arrival, i dont see a problem. Tiny bit of bookkeeping for a marginal improvement in voodoo seems fair.

Lunatics are only remarkable from gals in terms of max psi power, and costs. Given the shift to morale emphasis for psi defense, +2 max psi strength isn't that remarkable.   

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »
It's just a QoL thingy but I stick with altering the names myself.
I can differ the hirelings as following:

6 Starting Lunatics (have the commodation and thus get an "L" and are usually the highest ranked gals)
Hands get an "H" and get delivered with "Ganger" outfit.
Warriors will get an "W" and get delivered with "Warrior" outfit.
All the shipwrecked gals get an "C" because Combat-loot and they need 24h to arrive.
Veterans will get an "V"
Freaks will get a "$" because expensive gamble.

Syns get named after robots.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
The starting six have the 'Escaped Lunatics' commendation... the others, well, currently there is no way of distinguishing them.

I think it would be a nice improvement, if we had also commendations for the other soldier types  :D

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:18 pm »
To be honest, I'd rather have some more convenient way to see the type of soldier than looking into each and every one's commendations.

That said, I have no problem with this, since I don't even care that much about +2 to max psi strength. Most gals won't get the cap anyway.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G4 - 15 Jul - Shipwrecked Summer Re-Reloaded
« Reply #4820 on: July 19, 2017, 09:39:51 am »
How would gauss and lasers would be rebalanced?Should the gauss damage be toned down slightly or would increasing the damage or armor pen of lasers be more usefull?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:12 pm »
Unfortunately it's not laser's stats themselves that are bad, those are actually average to decent. It's a combination of indirect factors that make lasers "bad".

1: Alternate Ammunition
Non-pierce type ammo existing for a wide variety of weapons, hems in on lasers largest advantage of being good against otherwise high resist foes. Given the variance of the tech tree/spawns you are significantly more likely to have multiple alternate ammo types before you have lasers. Hell the sheer variety of damage types and methods of delivery makes lasers plain and uninteresting.   

2: Damage Calculation
Due to the order of operations for damage calculation, lower end values of penetration are not equivalent to higher raw damage. Raw damage is the single most influential factor on the attacker odds to deal damage. Armor penetration is also a percentile modifier so varies in effect with targets armor value. 33% on 10 armor is only a difference of 3 points of damage. Penetration does mean more as armor rises, but around ~60-70, the lack of base damage means you have an uncomfortable chance(20-60% depending on weapon) to do nothing because 0-200% dmg rolls for shooting. 

3: Secondary features
Lasers largely lack any secondary features. Conventional weapons often have buttstrikes for melee situations so you can forgo equipping a melee weapon. Chem, plasma and some conventional weapons strip armor before armor penetration step so they still do something even you whiff on the dmg all the way down to 1%. Even claiming penetration as laser's feature is dubious with 15% on rifles and 20% on snipers. Oh and penetration on rocket type weapons.

4: Access
The best laser options are gated behind really sucky optional content. Either the eurosyndicate deal with 1500-800 negative score at best(per month potentially YMMV) and massive purchase/operation costs, or Russian files which without cheesing is about equivalent to a merc battleship subbing lasers/gauss for plasma. Getting "good" lasers in the first case is a death sentence if mishandled, and expensive even if managed properly. The second case is better but you still probably can't pull it off in time for the rewards to offer much utility, given point 1 above.     

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »
Laser rifles, hydra lasers and laspistols are weak, but you can, with some luck, scavenge plenty of them early. Midgame weapons they are not, however laspistols offer acceptable performance in mansion missions.

Heavy lasers are decent and autolasers are geniunely good. Put one on high accuracy gal and see her move down scores of targets.

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: July 22, 2017, 01:59:06 am »
autolasers are geniunely good

Came to post the same.  I ignore all lasers except the autolaser, which I always bring 2 of on any mission that allows it.  The Autolaser and the Heavy MG have a confluence of traits the result of which is that they can full auto a target 30 tiles away and hit with most shots.  They fill the exact same role as a sniper, down to needing a spotter to operate, and they do it better.

On an unrelated note, I just researched Prize: Persuadotron and nothing seems to have happened.  No new manufacture recipe, no new buyables on the black market.  What am I missing?  I'm totally ready to get my Bullfrog on and Syndicate it up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:02:05 am by Riph »

Offline Bacon_Hero

• Captain
  • Why can't I quit you X-Com UFO D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: July 22, 2017, 06:49:12 am »
Came to post the same.  I ignore all lasers except the autolaser, which I always bring 2 of on any mission that allows it.  The Autolaser and the Heavy MG have a confluence of traits the result of which is that they can full auto a target 30 tiles away and hit with most shots.  They fill the exact same role as a sniper, down to needing a spotter to operate, and they do it better.

On an unrelated note, I just researched Prize: Persuadotron and nothing seems to have happened.  No new manufacture recipe, no new buyables on the black market.  What am I missing?  I'm totally ready to get my Bullfrog on and Syndicate it up.

There's a Persuadatron 2000 you can get after researching a megapol detective (if you're lucky). The prize itself doesn't unlock the item... probably an oversight. I guess it's not too difficult to mod a fix  ;D

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: July 22, 2017, 07:50:25 am »
That must be it.  I guess I'll keep shooting down these poor space cops.

Offline Bacon_Hero

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: July 22, 2017, 09:08:07 am »
Detectives are really really rare, so here's a little mod to fix the prize if you've already researched it.

This mod forces "Persuadatron 2000" to go through the "Prize: Persuadatron" research instead of requiring the item. It was the only way I could get the prize to unlock Persuadatrons retroactively.

Meaning if you use this mod and already researched "Prize Persuadatron", it allows you to now research "Persuadatron 2000".

If you haven't researched the Prize, it gives you the Persuadatron 2000 research for free
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:10:43 am by Bacon_Hero »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G5 - 23 Jul - Summer Storm Edition
« Reply #4827 on: July 23, 2017, 02:26:38 pm »
New release up. Enjoy!

Offline Bacon_Hero

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: July 23, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »
Nice! Glad the shockafist is getting some love

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: July 23, 2017, 09:19:48 pm »
comments for 0.99G_4

- In the bootypedia entry it is written that slaves generate income, but in the cost overview it seems they cost money.
- In the pigeon ufopedia entry there is a reference to the skyranger, but i cannot buy  skyranger.
- Ufopedia text for reaper cavalry is missing

Suggestions:
- From dead fish and dead crabs the gals should be able to cook some merchandise like "Bouillabaisse"

Maps:
- Archeology mission generates unkillable sperated spiders (screenshot attached)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:24:32 pm by clownagent »