aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610538 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99 - 7 Jun - First Impressions
« Reply #2640 on: June 08, 2016, 11:13:29 pm »
parrots and dogs carrying explosives

I assume the animals can't throw, so the held explosive will blow? My gf would be pissed if she saw that. Especially with the poor dog sound. "I took out a poli! Oh yeah, sorry you had to see that... You know I have no choice! I told you this game is hard!"

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: June 09, 2016, 12:03:54 am »
Actually, explosives do not explode for being merely carried. Unlike the Soviets' anti-tank dogs which blew up with their explosives (sometimes), Piratez/XCom dogs can safely carry their explosives to the target and run back to safety (since we have absolutely no issues with control). Or just blow up at the end of the turn in which they were killed when the explosives falls on the ground (so.. vengeance?).

If one were to make a melee explosive weapon which actually has a blast radius, then you could make actual suicide-bombers (animals, soldiers or machine based).

Offline Disposable Guardsman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: June 09, 2016, 02:49:32 am »
But...dogs only have a strength of 2 which is not enough to even carry a small grenade. Funnily enough, Parrots have 5 strength, and thus are stronger than dogs.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: June 09, 2016, 03:48:27 am »
Prime explosive, throw to dog, dogs picks it up and carries it inside UFO entrance, drops it and runs out, or dies trying, hopefully leaving the explosive close enough to the intended target (and not too close to your own troops). You usually have better option, but sometimes for entrenched enemies. Parrots can be used too, provided you use a grenade and not something bigger.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: June 09, 2016, 10:11:43 am »
Exactly, Parrots can start the mission with a primed grenade and drop it on the enemy heads (ghetto mortar) but a dog will lose TUs if it tries that

EDIT: I have just updated to 0.99 and have found something rather curious. Apparently the game saves first person simulations of the battlescape at random points in the game. Is this a known feature or something unintended?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:38:22 pm by Disposable Guardsman »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: June 10, 2016, 01:08:50 am »
I've only seen it saving the map, this looks awesome!
Can we get a 1st person level, a little bit like Dungeon Keeper? Pretty please?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: June 10, 2016, 01:59:23 am »
There is a hotkey you can take to take a 1st person screenshot as seen by the unit currently selected. This was used when developing the LoS/LoF mechanics. I don't remember which key it is but it is there in the key bindings for the battlescape, I think. It is not at all optimized, so unless you want to play a 1st person XCom at 1fps, it won't happen :P

Offline yotc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: June 10, 2016, 02:13:04 am »
Did anyone else's quicksave key break when updating to .99?  Odd thing to have break.  I've tested it by making a new game and trying again, but it appears to refuse to work in the battlescape while still functioning on the geoscape.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:12 am »
Well, my quicksave key didn't break, but the quicksave slot got corrupted.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2649 on: June 10, 2016, 04:19:33 am »
Did anyone else's quicksave key break when updating to .99?  Odd thing to have break.  I've tested it by making a new game and trying again, but it appears to refuse to work in the battlescape while still functioning on the geoscape.

Meridian noted in his change log that crtl, shift, and alt keys could no longer be set as hotkeys.  I wonder if this is why?

Offline yotc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: June 10, 2016, 04:43:53 am »
I'm gonna be honest here.  I saw Jade streaming this and decided to give it a try after not playing any xcom since xenonaughts came out.

This is the most fun I've had with a modded game since skyrim.  Keep up the good work.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: June 10, 2016, 06:51:57 am »
Meridian noted in his change log that crtl, shift, and alt keys could no longer be set as hotkeys.  I wonder if this is why?
Actually, I'd bet on debug mode issues. Line 21 of the the options.cfg file has  "debug: true", which turns off quicksave and enables debugging. Replace it with "debug: false" and see if that helps. It happens once every few releases when Dioxine forgets to switch it back before distribution ;)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: June 10, 2016, 11:54:53 am »
Im thinking of making a reskin of the hydra laser,but i forgot which page had the pixel art programs.I would really appreciate if someone would remind me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: June 10, 2016, 12:04:03 pm »
Actually, I'd bet on debug mode issues. Line 21 of the the options.cfg file has  "debug: true", which turns off quicksave and enables debugging. Replace it with "debug: false" and see if that helps. It happens once every few releases when Dioxine forgets to switch it back before distribution ;)

Yeah, most likely.

I don't know why Dioxine decided to deliver that config file again... it just creates problems, there's absolutely no advantage to it. I can't imagine anyone who would use it... everyone has their own video/audio settings, hotkeys, etc. and you always have to delete the file provided and replace it with your own...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2654 on: June 10, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »
The one time I didn't do it, a lot of people with problems immediately appeared. I have to assume that most people don't read instructions/don't care (eg. Jadestar, playing w/o UFOExtender accuracy), so they do need that config file.