Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609228 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98A - 12 Mar - Magic Missile Massacre!
« Reply #2130 on: March 31, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »
The thing is, I forked my maps from Hobbes' some time ago and added a lot of manual fixes by myself; therefore, it's not that easy to merge the stuff. I will definitely look into it, I already have some of your UFOs added (medium and large scout maps), but this isn't that easy. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 31, 2016, 05:32:34 pm »
I wonder if we are going to get see how you make a small tutorial for the process of making new weapons.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98B - 31 Mar - I Can See My House From Here!
« Reply #2132 on: March 31, 2016, 05:49:14 pm »
I'm terrible at tutorials, and making them is boring like hell. I'm born for different things.

Here have a new mod release instead (hopefully without windows incompatibility idiocy now!) :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2133 on: March 31, 2016, 08:57:30 pm »
The thing is, I forked my maps from Hobbes' some time ago and added a lot of manual fixes by myself; therefore, it's not that easy to merge the stuff. I will definitely look into it, I already have some of your UFOs added (medium and large scout maps), but this isn't that easy. Thanks for the heads-up!

It is definitly worth taken a look at the new POLAR terrains, the had some severe bugfixes in their MCD files.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 01, 2016, 12:12:13 am »
It looks like I might need to restart. Those rebel researches made getting SGCs a bit difficult.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #2135 on: April 01, 2016, 01:03:53 am »
Congrats on the article, Dioxine! Glad to see your work getting some spotlight!

Offline Ketonur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 01, 2016, 03:31:50 am »
Doctor medic please, don`t distract Dioxine from creating "the best game ever". Dioxine thanks for your update! I have that feeling that you read in my mind. It`s almost like someone creates a game just for me. Together with Meridian and his forks you are just amazing. Keep up the good work! Gollop could learn from you :)

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 01, 2016, 10:21:17 pm »
And I lost another base. That exploding plasma thingies, killing plasma thingies and goddamned chryssalids are way out of my league.

I think I could use a bit of advice. How does one defend the hideout? Think captain Jack Sparrow difficulty, ironman mode, against church.
I'm trying to hold them in chokepoint (with fire pits now!) and use sniper rifles, explosives and hit-and-run melee to defend it, but they come from sewers and OHK gals either with plasma, grenades or melee.
What should I do? I have lasers, gausses and baby nukes in EXTREMELY limited amount, can manufacture heavy slugthrowers, custom snipin' rifles, guardian armor, blades up to vibro blade (out of raider stuff for that one), can buy ES guns (1 per base), i-gun and arena stuff (and high explosives, of course). No base defences but armored vaults.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #2138 on: April 01, 2016, 11:42:55 pm »
I always hated doing base defenses because I am extremely impatient and I hate waiting for the AI when/to attack.

So unfortunately, smoke abuse and using your best high TU/reactions (preferably) scout for your other gals to snipe from out of line of sight.

And now I believe base defenses have 5? levels (or am I confusing with assaulting enemy bases?) so, haven't really tested that.

Even after you've wiped out most of their enemies... they tend to hide/hang back deep in the hangars and then it just gets silly after that.

One other tactic I was somewhat successful with was having two or three high melee/strength gals near the chokepoint to be able to dash behind an enemy, hit once or twice with a melee and be able to get back into a room to block Line of Sight, but it was lots of micromanaging.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17:35 pm »
Just a note in case other people experience a similar problem:
For the new version with "maxViewDistance: 30" I had sometimes on large maps (many enemies, lots of smoke) the annoying affect that after each walking step all figures (gals, civilians, enemies) made a short pause, which gives a very "laggy" feeling.
Reverting this to  "maxViewDistance: 20" repaired this.

Apart from that, the change of "maxViewDistance" had nearly no impact on gameplay (in my opinion).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:25:19 pm by clownagent »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2140 on: April 02, 2016, 03:20:36 pm »
Yeah, I will be scaling it back to 25, turns out modern computers are too weak to run OXCom properly if you increase the vision range :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 02, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
Yeah, openxcom is a lot more demanding than the old one.. especially with cranked up vision.

For base defenses, another thing is to make sure you (ab)use the alternate movements so you can strafe around corners and ensure mutual surprise (ie you spot them when they spot you) to avoid reaction fire. Keep your scouts alive (and use dogs!) so you can spot and snipe efficiently.

Having a good psi soldier on the 2nd floor of a block close to the hangars is good too. If you can MC even a weak enemy there you can stir sh*t up pretty fast.

Many Piratez enemies aren't that tough but have the capabilities (guns, melee or psi) to mess you up, so an aggressive playstyle can pay off. I don't use the lift as my choke point since the doors protect the approach from hangars and make it difficult to then go and clean them. My usual base layout has the hangars surrounded by other blocks to be able to attack them from every side and fire explosives (baby nukes are best, but large rockets will do) inside. It's more like one giant trap for the attackers from T1 than trying to play the waiting game at a small choke point later.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 02, 2016, 09:09:40 pm »
I'll take your advice into consideration. When I get psi. And large rockets. I'll also try more offensive approach, but I have heavy doubts about it.

I'm getting better though. I got limited ability to produce laser ammo, I can step up my game now. Plus magneto-plasma gun. And look at this! Probably has enough to fund rebuilding of my industrial hideout.

EDIT: what is TROLLIUM and how did it end up here? (gold transport is overrated, only $1.2m worth of gold and 4 power armor parts)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:20:12 pm by greattuna »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2143 on: April 02, 2016, 11:27:05 pm »
EDIT: what is TROLLIUM and how did it end up here? (gold transport is overrated, only $1.2m worth of gold and 4 power armor parts)

You tell me...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2144 on: April 03, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
It's happening.