Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3691919 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.97C - 15 Jan - Privatizing World Peace
« Reply #1815 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:26 pm »
@AbuDhabi: yes, that's exactly how it works. The number actually gets truncated, not rounded, though (at least per normal behaviour OXCOM is using too), so eg. 50.999 changes to 50.
But no, I don't have any IRC channel. Might be good to open one, though... I just don't know how to do it, I'm really lame at social media, I don't even have a FB account.

@Meridian: yeah, something along these lines. And Jormungand is an anime series, or Nordic World-Snake, not a guy :)

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 16, 2016, 08:02:01 pm »
Also sometimes called the Midgard Serpent or Midgard Wurm. Or the Midgar Zolom if you translate it really poorly.

Agree on the sniper change, they're just crazy good in FMP so long as you're a halfway decent shot.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 16, 2016, 08:08:46 pm »
Heh. I've never really made the connection between IRC and social media. IRC is ancient as all hell.

There is an #openxcom channel on irc.freenode.org. The least inconvenient way to get on for a complete newcomer is to go to https://webchat.freenode.net/ and fill in your nickname, write in "#openxcom" into the channels box, pass the captcha and connect. (After you connect and the window changes, wait a few seconds for the proper channel to open. There will be a list of names on the right, and a box to enter messages at the bottom.)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 16, 2016, 08:13:11 pm »
@AbuDhabi: yes, that's exactly how it works. The number actually gets truncated, not rounded, though (at least per normal behaviour OXCOM is using too), so eg. 50.999 changes to 50.
nope, in 99% chance it will return 51 and 1% it will return 50 :)
this way I can preserve some part of truncated value.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1819 on: January 16, 2016, 08:22:55 pm »
Yeah I was going there, I mean the OXCom IRC, but this is not Piratez channel. I'm not there anymore because I preferred to withdraw since I was pissing Warboy off, a lot. I know IRC is ancient but I wasn't much interested in using it even when it was still hot. Had no use for it, but I guess Piratez might be the right reason... I just don't want to lose whole days hanging out :) So how do I make a new channel there? Soft-wise, I have shexchat but my machine hates it with a passion (it's a very, very passionate PC).

Also good save Yankes, but it means OXCE no longer uses standard behaviour... and it would also explain WHY THE HELL MY ACC % IS FUC***G BLINKING +1/-1 BACK AND FORTH ALL THE TIME! :D

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:37 pm »
Hey dioxine, a while back you said that most of the enemies from the church faction were not fit for slavery and that this was on purpose. Is there then any reason to keep them alive, maybe for something later in the game?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1821 on: January 16, 2016, 08:53:02 pm »
I will not answer that :) But not in general, no.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 17, 2016, 11:00:42 am »
@Meridian: yeah, something along these lines. And Jormungand is an anime series, or Nordic World-Snake, not a guy :)

LOL, well, I'm not an anime guru :)
I've only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1823 on: January 17, 2016, 11:06:27 am »
LOL, well, I'm not an anime guru :)
I've only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Don't worry, I've seen over 300 titles, which is over 3000 episodes, but I've never heard about this one either. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.97B - 20 Dec - I Bring You Fire
« Reply #1824 on: January 17, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »
I shot down one single UFO, on the other side of the globe. Retal came several days later.

I know the chance to spawn is "only" 20%... I've seen it in the source code myself... but I swear to all that is holy that in my FMP LP it got generated with every second UFO... later in the LP I have removed 14 retaliation missions (during 3 months) from my save so that I can even finish it and they constantly spawned like crazy.

If this is going to happen in PirateZ too, I will be forced to do the same.

I like Superhuman, I really do, but the number of retals spawned is just crazy.

PS: I think Warboy has unhardcoded it, I would really appreciate a different curve for retals than now... if you have time to mod/test it of course. Link: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3957.msg51750.html#msg51750

That's it. My patience is big, but not endless!

Just shot down a second UFO... and a second retaliation has been generated... I don't care anymore, I am changing the source code and decreasing the chance from 20% to 12%... call me a cheater, see if I care...

Howgh.
/ragequit

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1825 on: January 17, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
I think 12% is actually better than 20%, for one simple reason: base defence, while hard, is very profitable.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1826 on: January 17, 2016, 05:15:43 pm »
Yeah but building interception fleet, base defences and keeping large & well-armed crew costs money and diverges research from things that give more instant gratification... :) But I guess there are easier ways out. However, Meridian is the director of his show, I just want this to be expressly stated by him, that he was wrong and doesn't, in fact, have what it takes to endure Jack Sparrow, and is decreasing the diff level :)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 17, 2016, 05:21:36 pm »
I think the issue is rather that he has endured far too many base defense missions (which always go down in more or less the same way) in his time and is deathly tired of being forced into doing them due to the accursed
STATISTICAL IMPROBABILITIES AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:27:37 pm by Bloax »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1828 on: January 17, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »
I assure you, if he was attacked by Star Gods or Mercenaries, it wouldn't go the same way :D

Anyways monthly retals are set to start around Christmas 2601 (on Jack Sparrow), so.

As a wiever, I am torn on this. I like to watch base defences because they're hard and full of adventure, otoh they're indeed a bit repetitive and take soooo much time. Even with heavy melee setup, while I am able to beat them off in less than 16 turns, more than half of that is slow and boring clearing of hangars.

However, decreasing difficulty is just that, I don't consider it a cheat or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:34:49 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 17, 2016, 05:34:46 pm »
Yeah but building interception fleet, base defences and keeping large & well-armed crew costs money and diverges research from things that give more instant gratification... :) But I guess there are easier ways out. However, Meridian is the director of his show, I just want this to be expressly stated by him, that he was wrong and doesn't, in fact, have what it takes to endure Jack Sparrow, and is decreasing the diff level :)

I said call me a cheater... not a weakling... now my pride won't allow me to turn the option on :-(

Well, at least it will be there for future generations.