aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609615 times)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L9 30-Apr-2021 Personal Attention
« Reply #8130 on: July 03, 2021, 03:04:06 am »
Finally finished ;D

Final two stages took some 4-5 hours together. Expected an easy massacre but both stages proved challenging enough. 2 Chorts /Dispersed were decisive on the surface while 4 Sorcerers made a huge difference underground. Glad I made the switch from Ghosts. Gray Codex FTW!

Only the second real mod I ever played (after "Doom the Way id Did" which sucked) and already hit the longest largest game I ever played. Of what I know only Gary Grigsby wargames surpass XPZ in size and complexity but are far less user friendly. XPZ showed me a mod can be better than the base game it sprouted from. Immeasurably better. Last night I sorted moddb mods by top order for the first time and saw it's a dangerous place one could lose his whole life on. As an old TIE Fighter fanatic TFTC is eye watering :'(

Only thing left to do is to post a summary of my thoughts/review/feedback/rant hybrid and pack my bags. Tomorrow though, in own topic. Need to recharge my freshness now. Just wonder how close was I to getting side-tracked with yet another update I know I wouldn't be able to resist.
Thank you for everything Dio, I hope glory and riches find you. Huge thanks to infinitely patient legionof1 as well for his extensive, quick and accurate help throughout.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: July 06, 2021, 02:59:48 pm »
When next update?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: July 07, 2021, 03:29:32 am »
Soon "TM"   But honestly i don't think it will be more then a week or 2. Dioxine has been putting up alot of recent teasers on the discord, which usually means a release is nigh.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: July 07, 2021, 11:45:48 am »
Great.
I don't use discord, so thank for inspiring news :)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: July 12, 2021, 08:25:12 pm »
A little thing I noticed... the 85mm Battlecannon actually has a rather huge blast radius considering NPC tanks do nearly the same damage and have a fraction of the size. Also like the same size or even bigger than the Rocket Launcher/DP even though the rockets are alot bigger. The hellerium rounds just bring it to a whole nother level and practically outpace Bombard while carrying 14 rounds of it. While being able to deliver (3?) shots of it every turn.

This would be a case for nerfing the blast radius of the 85mm Battlecannon. Maybe by 25-33% (falloff 13 to 15). I can see reasons for keeping it large as a counterbalance, but maybe it ought to be called a 105mm Howitzer to match it.

As for "too big to use" counterbalance generally its easy enough to chew through most targets with the machinegun if there's only one or a couple. Its not like it stops you from using the unit if there's civvies or loot nearby.
Full round bursting of PS or MAG can usually tear down power armour

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: July 13, 2021, 07:28:12 am »
Well the intended use case for the bombard is indirect fire so it's not exactly the same role. But yeah 85mm is huge cause it uses normal radius calcs(power/10), rather then the npc version which has a hard limit. Mostly so it wont blow itself up too frequently. The ai has a poor grasp on aoe safety so its best to give them constrained versions lest they look stupider then they really are.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: July 13, 2021, 11:23:22 am »
Why don't give to AI two types of ammo, like in players tanks?
One standard HE shell, another - armor penetration shell (in higher difficulty, maybe with devastating effect to armor)?

And I have important question...
I gained in the end of battle mind controlled Sectopod. Why I must kill him to finish the mission? Why I cant take it as pet? :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:01:28 pm by Earthquake »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: July 13, 2021, 04:44:13 pm »
Why don't give to AI two types of ammo, like in players tanks?
One standard HE shell, another - armor penetration shell (in higher difficulty, maybe with devastating effect to armor)?
snip

Cause the AI has no code to grasp multiple load options. It's i haz gun i shootz gun basic. if it must reload it grabs the fastest reload available. if it has multiple guns in hand use the fastest option that exceeds a lower accuracy bound(which is default 10%), this also extends to auto/burst/ect.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: July 14, 2021, 12:50:14 am »
Cause the AI has no code to grasp multiple load options. It's i haz gun i shootz gun basic. if it must reload it grabs the fastest reload available. if it has multiple guns in hand use the fastest option that exceeds a lower accuracy bound(which is default 10%), this also extends to auto/burst/ect.

Add just Tank mk.2 with different ammo? And set a randomizer to each battle.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: July 15, 2021, 06:43:14 am »
More effort then its worth, to alter the unit composition you need to mess around with the deploy table. There are a fixed number of rank slots in a deployment, and what fills a rank is also fixed. Stack that with the fixed weapons nature of NPC HWP and you have a pretty inflexible composition.

Any single change in the composition, while keeping the old one means you need to clone the whole deployment system up to the faction level, and mission table.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L10 18-Jul-2021 Old Earth Blues
« Reply #8140 on: July 18, 2021, 08:43:19 pm »
New version up! Enjoy.
Please be sure to check the thread about updating saves this time.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: July 18, 2021, 11:23:50 pm »
New kill criteria reqs look very tasty indeed.
Too bad the plebians will never understand :'(

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: July 19, 2021, 12:11:56 am »
Damn! Right about time!

P. S.: I guess it is a reference to post-apoclyptic mod for another great game? :)

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: July 19, 2021, 01:17:10 pm »
Oh, good update.
Especially about "discount" on hardest skill.
For now, you must pay only 600 millions to get rid of Demon Invasion, instead of 999 millions xD

Offline hitthat

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: July 20, 2021, 11:37:13 am »
I see there are western themed map...dont't know whether gonna be planned such outfits for gals and slave soldiers...and at least a map with a train/train station? no western that worth the name should miss one!!  :P anyway let's jump into a blaze of glory!!!