aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610593 times)

Offline Apocca

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L8 26-Mar-2021 One Way Ticket To Argentina
« Reply #8055 on: April 06, 2021, 03:05:53 pm »
"Conqueror is now a multi-stage project"
I like this! It was a drag to get the 250 hellerium fuel cells in the end. Took way too long. Or my income was not enough in the lategame (about 20M).

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: April 06, 2021, 11:13:20 pm »
I muddled through how to fix this on my own, but it sparked some curiosity. What was the logic behind disallowing ufo landing alert? Seems like it would force you to play in 5sec timescale every time a ship was on scope if you wanted to catch it on the ground.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: April 07, 2021, 01:45:15 am »
It is a matter of design preference. Part of the early game is balancing risk vs reward of chaseing after landings. If you have auto warning and good base radar coverage you almost ignore all the early hunter killers threat.

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: April 08, 2021, 09:32:32 pm »
Ah, well, I'll just put that down on the list of things I'd prefer to have a choice over, but I know how to fix it, so I'm not gonna complain.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8059 on: April 09, 2021, 04:23:15 pm »
With this option on, the geoscape part of the game is reduced to start-stop. There is no experience of interacting with the planet, no time to chill between battles/management, and overall a fucked up game.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:28 pm »
With this option on, the geoscape part of the game is reduced to start-stop. There is no experience of interacting with the planet, no time to chill between battles/management, and overall a fucked up game.

That's a great oversimplification.

You have plenty of interaction even with this option turned on.
You must keep the time passing on slow modes:
- to avoid UFOs getting out of radar reach
- to optimize craft flight trajectories
- to determine whether the UFO is even likely to land or not
- to manage interceptions
- to manage landing times (day/night)
- etc. etc.

The impact of this option on my gameplay (can't speak for others) is almost negligible.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: April 09, 2021, 05:02:28 pm »
Well, yeah, but following the UFO until it lands is an integral part of experience. Ditching it is not only lazy, but also feels rather barbaric.

Mind that I haven't disabled this option in my mod. If someone wants to play a castrated game, let them be my guest. But I fully understand why Dioxine disabled it.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: April 09, 2021, 05:25:21 pm »
I'm OK with the option being disabled.
(I have it disabled in my piratez campaign too)

As I said, it doesn't affect much, so I'm not missing it.
Just saying its impact may be exaggerated a bit.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: April 09, 2021, 06:27:16 pm »
Yeah, admittedly it was a little over the top... :)

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: April 09, 2021, 09:47:47 pm »
Really didn't expect anyones feelings on the matter to be *that* dramatic. I play the game and primarily enjoy the tactical part of it, but the strategic can get a little overwhelming and I like to simplify where I can. Most of the UFO's I intercept on the ground are in the very early game where my craft are too slow to shadow them anyway. By all means, leave the option off by default. I just like having the ability to play a single player game without having someone else force me to play it "the right way."

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: April 10, 2021, 05:15:48 am »
Well not like you cant edit it. But there is such a thing as the authors intended experience.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: April 11, 2021, 10:22:48 pm »
The only bit I have to chime about it is the HK behavior and that there should be exemptions for certain crafts (Zeppelin im looking at you). That's an Oops that got overlooked when HK got introduced. The Blowfish and Airbus are good examples of crafts that arent a Zeppelin which the factions wouldn't bother targeting. The Blowfish are you kidding me? Thats an expedition thats obviously investigating the deep one threat, its so far below marsec vipers to even bother with.

Its not that they cant be Seen by the HK its that they've got Social Camouflage and the fighter shouldn't be considering them because they're just harmless. However I do think, if you engage an HK that should bunkerbuster through the protection, you pick a fight and they'll finish it.

This could probably have bit switches for different kinds of behavior. Some dudes like raider barques and wasp aircars dont care if you're official, unofficial, pirate, civilian, or whatever. If your craft doesn't check that bit matrix they get chased. The zeppelin has weapons slots so it can potentially shake off a Ninja Bike or Wasp.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: April 11, 2021, 10:47:59 pm »
Would that the engine had that much nuance.

Offline Retroactive

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: April 18, 2021, 04:41:22 am »
Isn't the freshness drain on revenant armor a little over the top? Its even more than the blitz and ironman superhero armors!

And it isn't even particularly strong to justify it like with the latter 2 armors.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:15:41 am by Retroactive »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: April 18, 2021, 05:57:09 am »
Revanet does eat freshness like candy but is both lower tech then blitz, and does not have blitz or superhero flat morale decay.

Tech wise atm it signficantly easier to get then blitz, since blitz is behind two separate shield type gates and those are behind school graduation. Rev is back to school tier.

Superhero is alot closer but behind the "hero suit KIA" chain assuming you on the gal path to begin with. Assuming you don't get lucky with pillow books your looking at a month or longer extra delay as you sacrifice some slaves in battle in such condtions as you can get the corpses back intact. and that's beyond the fact its 3 ranks down power armor line compared to rev just being behind tac and metal.