Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609383 times)

Offline ceasar909

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - K2 - 2 Nov - Ice Ice Cool
« Reply #7440 on: December 21, 2019, 03:35:57 am »
The mod is down temporarily while some assets are removed. A certain set of assets are being removed and replaced due to an issue with the original author of those assets. The issue has been resolved, but time is need to replace the assets.

As much as I would love to ask for a download link of a previous version (I was last here 3 years ago). That would be disrespecting the wishes of Hobbes.

Short version: Hobbes long ago made a map asset pack and allowed it's use pretty freely. It was useful stuff and got incorporated into many major mods since. About 2-3 weeks ago he changed his position to no mod that took any compensation, even donations, could use his work going forward. So any mod that had his stuff integrated into it had to rip it out fully before they could release any new versions. So most opencom mods are suffering a purge and retool, and during that work disabling any downloads to avoid any possible additional incidents.

It's annoying as hell. I really don't like the decision that Hobbes made, But I also am aware that I can't do what s/he has created, and generally as a labour of love.
I love what Dioxine has done (sorry if misspelled). I'm enjoying all the hard work that SupSuper did creating OpenXcom in the first place.

But it's a bit on the nose to enjoy what content creators have done and turn around and not respect the content creators wishes at the same time.

Finger's crossed it won't be too much longer.

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: December 21, 2019, 06:18:42 am »
As much as I would love to ask for a download link of a previous version (I was last here 3 years ago). That would be disrespecting the wishes of Hobbes.

It's annoying as hell. I really don't like the decision that Hobbes made, But I also am aware that I can't do what s/he has created, and generally as a labour of love.
I love what Dioxine has done (sorry if misspelled). I'm enjoying all the hard work that SupSuper did creating OpenXcom in the first place.

But it's a bit on the nose to enjoy what content creators have done and turn around and not respect the content creators wishes at the same time.

Finger's crossed it won't be too much longer.

No. Hobbes posted that current versions of mods are fine.

As posted elsewhere, as an author, I've decided that my original work/files in the Terrain Pack, Area 51 and other mods cannot be used anymore by other modders on their own mods.

This applies to any mods that publish new versions after today - you're not required to remove any previous versions that have been already published.

Any unauthorized use of my work will be properly notified and reported, if necessary.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7617.msg119863.html#msg119863

So from what I understand, any existing mod can contain this content without any issue, but all further versions must have this content removed.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't care about anybody's position on any of this - I am not allowing an extraordinary mod to wither because of some drama between mortals. However, it really does seem that Hobbes is okay with current versions of mods containing his work, so I feel like the removal of the Xpiratez download link is either because of "Hmmmph"-ing, or because of going totally overboard on the response to Hobbes' request.

Anyway. Until Diox says something about why we can't download XPiratez, I can only speculate. Regardless, just hit me up if you want the K2 version (the K3 is a WIP, it seems).

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - K2 - 2 Nov - Ice Ice Cool
« Reply #7442 on: December 21, 2019, 03:52:28 pm »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7443 on: December 21, 2019, 09:56:01 pm »
Once free, always free. Unless Hobbes regulary releases updates that are somehow necessary to make his map asset pack work, anybody could continue to use the version form back when it was free to use

I used his version from 4 years ago or so, never incorporated his updates, since compatibility was off once I started fixing and improving his stuff myself (and sank countless hours into this). I pointed this out to him, to which he replied that it is "irrelevant".

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: December 22, 2019, 11:23:12 am »
Hobbes really comes of as an asshole here. Any reason why you didn’t call his request "irrelevant" too?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7445 on: December 22, 2019, 03:50:36 pm »
Hobbes really comes of as an asshole here. Any reason why you didn’t call his request "irrelevant" too?

General disgust. I don't want to owe anything to such a person.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:52:38 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: December 23, 2019, 02:57:06 am »
The Hobbes lawyers, the nightmare of the X-Com community? ;D

Come on, losing a foreign gum in the foundation is no reason to stop building the house. Give us XPirates again, no matter what condition, Fair Use!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:52:40 pm by Ashert »

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: December 23, 2019, 11:34:49 pm »
Here's another mirror:

Dioxine_XPiratez_K2.rar
https://1fichier.com/?k4vx6wqviup4zvmv7h3x

My tip: bring it to Github so that such artifacts can also be cleaned up faster.

There is always a third option!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:16:18 am by Ashert »

Offline AhsokaTaHo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: December 25, 2019, 01:26:55 am »
Give someone the latest version of the game without that bleak cheer. It is absolutely impossible to play. It 's the dumbest idea of all fashion. And so the perennial problem of half a bass in the treatment, the other one moans behind the lack of this nerdy paramet. It became very hard to play.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: December 25, 2019, 10:30:29 am »
What is cheer?

Offline AhsokaTaHo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: December 25, 2019, 08:16:59 pm »
Cheerfulness

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: December 25, 2019, 08:43:08 pm »
How can cheerfulness be bleak?

And what do you even want to say by that?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7452 on: December 25, 2019, 11:30:18 pm »
Someone's salty about not being able to camp indefinitely, nothing to worry about.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: December 25, 2019, 11:44:25 pm »
Oh, he meant freshness?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7454 on: December 26, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
Oh, he meant freshness?

I am not 100% sure, but I would bet money on that :)