Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3663577 times)

Offline Rinkydink

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - K2 - 2 Nov - Ice Ice Cool
« Reply #7425 on: December 18, 2019, 10:15:02 pm »
Would love someone to send me the link too.  The mod looks sweet!  :D

Offline Cibi

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: December 18, 2019, 10:40:30 pm »
I would also like a link lol.

Offline DLXP

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: December 19, 2019, 05:18:21 am »
I would like a link to the latest version if anyone has it.

Thanks

Offline WightPunter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: December 19, 2019, 11:50:16 pm »
If anyone has it can you send me a download link please

Offline Sahti Waari

• Sergeant
  • Так победим!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: December 20, 2019, 02:50:12 am »
Downloads blocked for now on the grounds of claims by Hobbes about me stealing his work.

Could somebody tell me this story?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: December 20, 2019, 04:27:32 am »
Short version: Hobbes long ago made a map asset pack and allowed it's use pretty freely. It was useful stuff and got incorporated into many major mods since. About 2-3 weeks ago he changed his position to no mod that took any compensation, even donations, could use his work going forward. So any mod that had his stuff integrated into it had to rip it out fully before they could release any new versions. So most opencom mods are suffering a purge and retool, and during that work disabling any downloads to avoid any possible additional incidents.

Offline Lasttemplar01

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: December 20, 2019, 05:54:39 am »
Looking to get back into the mod and saw that it was down would greatly appreciate the latest version. Please and thank you.

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: December 20, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »
There is a 20 message limit per hour around here, so I tossed the K2 version to the first 20 folks who asked for it the other night.

Unfortunately, I didn't really pay attention to whom I stopped at, so I just tossed it to another 8 or so just now. If I missed anyone, send me a PM or post, though it may be a while before I read the thread and get back to you.

I just realized that this makes me kind of a bizarre xpirate-y Santa Claus. Alrighty then.

misterx

« Reply #7433 on: December 20, 2019, 02:07:09 pm »
Waitin for the new relase is growing but please don't be impatient "it's ready when it's ready" (cit) :)

Offline Sleeeza

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: December 20, 2019, 02:51:36 pm »
There is a 20 message limit per hour around here, so I tossed the K2 version to the first 20 folks who asked for it the other night.

Unfortunately, I didn't really pay attention to whom I stopped at, so I just tossed it to another 8 or so just now. If I missed anyone, send me a PM or post, though it may be a while before I read the thread and get back to you.

I just realized that this makes me kind of a bizarre xpirate-y Santa Claus. Alrighty then.

Hey, Santa, I was a good boy. Can i have my xmas present pls.

Offline Er.Vero

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - K2 - 2 Nov - Ice Ice Cool
« Reply #7435 on: December 20, 2019, 03:51:22 pm »
I would appreciate a download link. thank you.

Offline FourCartridge

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: December 20, 2019, 09:56:25 pm »
I would like a link too; my old one is from an entire year ago so I was a bit sad to find out what happened to the current version.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:49 pm »
Best we put it onto the wishlist for Xmas.
Maybe we get something fancy if we believe in boobs Santa Dioxine.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: December 21, 2019, 12:16:02 am »
Short version: Hobbes long ago made a map asset pack and allowed it's use pretty freely. It was useful stuff and got incorporated into many major mods since. About 2-3 weeks ago he changed his position to no mod that took any compensation, even donations, could use his work going forward.

Once free, always free. Unless Hobbes regulary releases updates that are somehow necessary to make his map asset pack work, anybody could continue to use the version form back when it was free to use, even hypothetical purely commercial mods. I doubt the map asset pack was released under any sort of licence and since he never objected his works were used for profit by third parties for many years despite onviously knowing so, he would e at difficult at court in msot countries. It’s dick move to keep using it, but he seems like the bigger dick here, unless he’s trying to cover himself in case whoever owns original X-Com decides to sue him (unlikely, both x files and x piratez use copyrighted owned music and nobody gives a damn)

Offline OmniscientQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: December 21, 2019, 02:06:09 am »
Once free, always free. Unless Hobbes regulary releases updates that are somehow necessary to make his map asset pack work, anybody could continue to use the version form back when it was free to use, even hypothetical purely commercial mods. I doubt the map asset pack was released under any sort of licence and since he never objected his works were used for profit by third parties for many years despite onviously knowing so, he would e at difficult at court in msot countries. It’s dick move to keep using it, but he seems like the bigger dick here, unless he’s trying to cover himself in case whoever owns original X-Com decides to sue him (unlikely, both x files and x piratez use copyrighted owned music and nobody gives a damn)

I gave this some thought myself, and I'm tempted to agree but for one possibility. In open-source software (and modding by extension) the common understanding is that an author can change their license any time they want, but such changes aren't retroactive. If you released v1.6 of your awesomeapp under GPL, and then release 2.0 under some other, more restrictive license, then people can keep using and distributing v1.6 for as long as they like.

But what if the old version never had an explicit license at all? If you forgot to include one, does that somehow imply a complete release of control over that version? Reading Hobbes' comments, that seems to have been the case. He gave no thought to licensing at all back in the day, it didn't seem important. Declaring that all of his work is covered by his new license doesn't conflict with past licensing permissions because the past license is a null value.