aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3692551 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.5 - 1 Apr - Fight Magic with Courage!
« Reply #4425 on: April 15, 2017, 12:46:44 am »
And now it seems ive got Cardinals falling in my lap left and right and all that research is done on them. Guess ive got nothing else to do but sell em, im not about to rob them. Liber Occultus has already been translated. Now if only I could have Provosts coming out of my ears id be able to get that branch of the research done.

This seems kinda relevant: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html

After 5 months (including the 30 days to build it) ive made a net total of 100,000 per power station without using any materials, and occupying empty real estate that wasnt doing anything else for me because I wasnt building anything there.

After 10 months each one has made me 850,000.

That bare stone may sit there unoccupied for a long time before I need to expand something useful there near the end of the game to fully maximize the effect of my bases. If I didnt put these there they would make me 0 bucks per month.

(I Repeat, the reason im not filling those tiles with Workshops, Barracks, and other accomodations for Runts to manufacture things is because if I need to eradicate those facilities to make way for something else in the future thats going to screw up alot of things. Plus make it harder to micromanage the game as ill have to keep ordering them to manufacture other things, and the only good stuff to have them work on requires input materials. But my option is better than letting the bare stone go to waste otherwise)

The reason the 1,000,000 sell back price is relevant to the equation is because whenever I really need that space ill sell the building and ill get that part of the investment back. So the initial investment per building of 1,500,000 is inherently kneecapped and im only really in the hole by 500 grand. At 150 grand per month that 500k loss disappears

This of course does not apply to the 1 Power Station per base (since ill never sell them) that might be required for other functions, thats just a building like any other such as a workshop or refinery that which is critical to do something with it. However if I had multiple stations and I decided I really needed to expand my base in a certain direction it means I wouldnt have to sell one and build a new one somewhere else, since ive still got others around (and if necessary the one I will leave standing when I need all that real estate

Granted I did spend 1.5 Million per facility so that liquidity is gone. But this is like investing in housing and other assets in real life, just because you dont have the money anymore doesnt mean you dont have something that is valuable or that you cant get that money back.

If dioxine feels this is a loophole of some kind id beg to differ that its just another way of playing. And it Does require investing all that money, millions upon millions, into these things to start with. So while I might have had over 100 million income so far I do not for example have enough to buy a VIP from the mercs, all that money is tied up and I might need to wait months before I could emergency sell those buildings to get that money recouped.

Its not a fast investment either, this is like the Piratez version of purchasing a CD at the bank, it takes 30 days to get it built and it cant be rushed at all.

(and furthermore the 1,000,000 recoup price for scrapping the facility makes sense too, thats alot of valuable equipment that will make money for someone else - so nerfing the sell price doesn't make sense)

It might also be worth mentioning that making a new base to set up this operation squarely costs 1,000,000+ too, but fact is any good player is going to need to set up all 8 bases by endgame so that money is already tied up in the end, its just a question of how early you want to fork it over (and the earlier you set up all the bases, the more likely they'll be targeted, so thats a risk vs. reward equation, hey look im playing the stock market now)

It also adds base defense issues by providing additional tunnels for enemies to spread out into, rather than choking them off into trap rooms or confining them to hangars. Depending on whether they're built up around the hangar/airlock. But thats if the base gets hit, and this particular issue hasnt been a problem yet.

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:10 am »

Its not a fast investment either

That's precisely why it's bad. It's a long term investment that you've built with the express purpose of tearing it down.

The "it would just be empty space!" argument ignores the fact that filling that empty space costs you 1.5million and takes 10 months before it makes anything back. Yeah, sure, it'll make you money eventually, but downing a single civilian aircraft a month will make you more than that.

How you play is up to you, obviously, and I hate the obsession with "optimising" in games, but you're framing this scheme in a really weird and blinkered way.

Separate note, really, but I've never had 8 bases. I rarely have more than 4 for long, as I hate base defence, and it seems like you get more of those the more bases you have.

Offline EricPhail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: April 15, 2017, 05:44:54 am »
Question:Are Oxygen Tanks meant to be consumable?
F5 has them in the inexhaustable category but they also have isConsumable:true (Bootypedia implies last forever to me but...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4428 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:53 am »
Question:Are Oxygen Tanks meant to be consumable?
F5 has them in the inexhaustable category but they also have isConsumable:true (Bootypedia implies last forever to me but...)

They are meant to be exhaustible; the Bootypedia is wrong here.

Online Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4429 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:52 pm »
I would agree that breakneck expansion at max efficiency is not exactly 'in the spirit'.  Them Gals are a bunch of fun-loving pirates, not an industrial machine.  But it looks like the way the game is now, taking it easy and taking your time doesn't fly. 

No, you can't take it easy, it's not erotica, it's a full-blooded war game. So efficiency is expected of the player.

This sounds like you ask for a even earlier version of the starting buildings available.
Stuff like "ol' prison" with only 10space; Rusty Barracks with 20space; dirty vaults with 50space (and no armored vault to start with)

Planned, possibly in next ver. Burrow: cheap facility with 15 bunks, 25 space and 15 or 20 animal cages (that will require to be kept there instead of in prison).

And a soft reminder to remove academy drones from mansions... those bastards can't panic on this maze-like map.

Naw. Church generates the same problem. I'm neutral towards the tactic to make them surrender, so I will  neither deny it or make it easier.

If dioxine feels this is a loophole of some kind id beg to differ that its just another way of playing.

If I felt that way, I would never have designed the Power Station that way, you dummy :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: April 15, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »
No, you can't take it easy, it's not erotica, it's a full-blooded war game. So efficiency is expected of the player.
snip

Take it easy certainly not, but i feel the mod loses something if you need optimal tech pathing to make it past august year 1 with poor RNG. I fancy myself at least competent after having finished 2 full campaigns, but even i'm finding it frustrating to get out of year one this patch. Things are perhaps over-tuned at present.

Online Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4431 on: April 15, 2017, 10:57:42 pm »
I'm taking it into consideration. Working on improving it, but it's a very slow work - filling out the missing content easily leads to wild difficulty curve swings.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: April 15, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »
I'm taking it into consideration. Working on improving it, but it's a very slow work - filling out the missing content easily leads to wild difficulty curve swings.
Yeah swings do happen, long as you keep a eye on it, your doing good work. From my observation i would either ease the cash constraint or address the late year one score deathspikes. Perhaps 350 per score bonus? Don't have a clue what to do about the score spikes because i have yet to have them happen in observation so insufficient data, beyond ouch game over aside from luck.

Online Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4433 on: April 16, 2017, 03:01:35 am »
We'll see how it goes with bounty hunt missions added: more places to score, more loot to cushion deathspikes. I don't want to hike the financial bonus too high since it would favor buying scientists too much (unless I went down and reduced all research scores again, but I'd rather not).

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: April 16, 2017, 03:11:14 am »
Where exactly do you find a Gatling Lascannon at?

It seems like a whole bunch of my research tree is tied up with this (im back to 0 research available) and im just not finding them anywhere.

If it is where I think it is (in the nosecone of a frigate) the only ones ive seen flying around, rarely, if ever, are mercinaries doing mercinary contracts. And as the bootypedia states along with stats its suicide to try to shoot them down.

But for all I know it could be found somewhere else too. Ive not seen any shrine ships, and its not come up in any alien bases either.

In other news:
Chewbacca is down.
I finally caught those smugglers. Turns out they had a secret smuggling compartment.
 ;)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: April 16, 2017, 03:36:27 am »
Gatling Lascannon can be dropped by at least the small ships, I suspect anything that can shoot back could drop parts for it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: April 16, 2017, 04:17:29 am »
Gatling lascannons can be found on that smuggler ship, bombers, destroyers, and maybe corvettes, frigates, and cruisers. I think battleships too, but have fun with that.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: April 16, 2017, 04:22:54 am »
I got one from a Freighter in the second month, I believe. At least a piece, which is all you need to research.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: April 17, 2017, 12:33:54 am »
Gatling Lascannon can be dropped by at least the small ships, I suspect anything that can shoot back could drop parts for it.

Gatling lascannons can be found on that smuggler ship, bombers, destroyers, and maybe corvettes, frigates, and cruisers. I think battleships too, but have fun with that.

Yeah I just found it on a smuggler ship, enough pieces in fact to research it as well as assemble one after I completed that.

Now I need an Implosion Bomb Launcher which the tech tree says has to be found (somewhere, out there). Im back to 0 research topics again. Even after researching the smuggler captain and catgirls

(to be clear, I can still research Data Discs but ALL of the pertinent research topics are already cracked, ive hit data discs like a mexican pinata... the only topics they're coughing up now are the #Number topics for lore... humanist/govt/reticulan files are all washed out too)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: April 17, 2017, 03:08:43 am »
Bombers and battleships, it's the game telling you that you need to hunt bigger targets.