aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609266 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98F - 13 May - Airbus Adventures
« Reply #2520 on: May 13, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »
Cool stuff! Hopefully I have time to finish a campaign before 0.99 comes up! (Or wait for 1.0??!)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2521 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:03 pm »
Cool stuff! Hopefully I have time to finish a campaign before 0.99 comes up! (Or wait for 1.0??!)

I half considered rushing the last part of the campaign when .99 releases.  Cheat in the required prisoners for the encrypted keys etc, for Cydonia.  I'd like to get a campaign completed for a sense of how it all goes before I start again, but dayum.  It sure is tempting to try out the new early game!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 13, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Well, luckily 0.98F is not game changing, so maybe we can press on and finish.

Since the new features are mostly early game, we can experience them whenever, then hopefully Dioxine progresses to changing things later in the game and we can keep up. The only thing that requires rushing through to experience is endgame material, but since I've never experienced it, I'm happy to wait..

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 13, 2016, 10:01:46 pm »
Lasers ignoring armor seems pretty weird conceptually. Then again, lightly armored targets being resistant to lasers was weird as well, and it's not like this matters much anyway. :P

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 13, 2016, 10:11:33 pm »
Lasers ignoring armor seems pretty weird conceptually. Then again, lightly armored targets being resistant to lasers was weird as well, and it's not like this matters much anyway. :P
Every type of projectile has a different medium that counteracts the destruction it is supposed to do. Armor plate that shatters a bullet and absorbs the shards created would not stop and dissipate a laser beam.
Edit: Imagine a body covered in thin sheet of superconductive foil. Laser energy would just vanish and a 9mm bullet would swish through.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:14:03 pm by a0kribu »

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 13, 2016, 10:30:36 pm »
Making the game more challenging at the start seems odd, as it is already the most difficult part of the game.

On the Bonaventura being a craft you have to unlock and manufacture, what's the point?

It seems the start of the game will not only become more difficult, but also bogged down by more logistics.  There is already a *lot* of stuff to wrap one's head around when beginning Piratez, and now you will have more you need to research, more to manufacture and more base work to do *before* you can get to the already challenging status you started with before .98f?  I don't see how this stuff would do anything but turn away more people who try Piratez for the first time.

It would be wise to consider that everyone here is familiar with Piratez, and our feedback is a reflecion of that.  While these changes won't sink us, I don't think the same can be said for people new to it.  The new missions sound cool, but I wouldn't want to start a new game with .98f.  Sounds like more of a pain in the ass than fun.

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 13, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »
Er. What patch notes are you reading from what I can tell every aspect of early game just got a lot easier.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 13, 2016, 10:39:10 pm »
Short comment on the new early game:

- first mission was Warehouse: very interesting und good
- second mission was pogrom on the other side of the planet. Airbus could not reach it, because it was too far and it just despawns. First month end with -600 rating.  That feels really unfair, because you get a lot of negative points just because of bad luck.

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:33 pm »
Every type of projectile has a different medium that counteracts the destruction it is supposed to do. Armor plate that shatters a bullet and absorbs the shards created would not stop and dissipate a laser beam.
Edit: Imagine a body covered in thin sheet of superconductive foil. Laser energy would just vanish and a 9mm bullet would swish through.

Except the laser would still need to burn through the armor plate, instead of ignoring some amount of it.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 13, 2016, 10:47:59 pm »
Short comment on the new early game:

- first mission was Warehouse: very interesting und good
- second mission was pogrom on the other side of the planet. Airbus could not reach it, because it was too far and it just despawns. First month end with -600 rating.  That feels really unfair, because you get a lot of negative points just because of bad luck.

Perhaps it is possible to disable real progroms for like the first 2, 3 months and instead only offer ship landings and/or the new mini progrom type missions ?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2530 on: May 14, 2016, 01:07:52 am »
Still on the fence with it. On one hand, it's unfair. On the other hand, it sets a challenge to overcome, and establishes the whole anti-mutant racism and other parts of the story. Probably the best would be eliminating despawn penalty for early Pogroms (much easier said than done, really...).

It seems the start of the game will not only become more difficult, but also bogged down by more logistics.  There is already a *lot* of stuff to wrap one's head around when beginning Piratez, and now you will have more you need to research, more to manufacture and more base work to do *before* you can get to the already challenging status you started with before .98f?  I don't see how this stuff would do anything but turn away more people who try Piratez for the first time.

Well, going from 50+ to just a dozen of starting weapons and from 12 to 6 gals seems like a lot less stuff to worry about. Same for logistics, as the starting craft doesn't use up any fuel, and your maintenance is safely under your budget. What remains? More research and longer campaign - longer through more stuff and more gradual introduction of said stuff.
Also there will be no real point of arrival at the previous starting point, as it'll be hard to compare both.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:23:35 am by Dioxine »

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 14, 2016, 02:05:20 am »
Just downloaded 0.98F - I'll check to see if my Alternate Armour Mod has no problems over the next couple of days.

Looks like I might have to restart my game now though. Ah well, just adds to the experiance.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2532 on: May 14, 2016, 10:18:04 am »
It shouldn't, unless it changes some stats (laser resistances b-gone).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2533 on: May 14, 2016, 11:27:09 am »
Perhaps it is possible to disable real progroms for like the first 2, 3 months and instead only offer ship landings and/or the new mini progrom type missions ?

It's a way, but I'm afraid it would be too confusing for the player. "Why is it giving me so many negative points, it never gave me negative points, waaaah!". And it would be a legitimate complaint, I'd be confused too.
I'd rather see an idea that was already loosely discussed, "Pogroms lite". So pretty much the same thing, but smaller, easier, less deadly. They only escalate a bit later to full Pogroms.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2534 on: May 14, 2016, 03:27:36 pm »
It's a way, but I'm afraid it would be too confusing for the player. "Why is it giving me so many negative points, it never gave me negative points, waaaah!". And it would be a legitimate complaint, I'd be confused too.

I had an idea that the escalation should happen only when you "contact the mutant alliance", which will be explained in the corresponding entry (it's a preq. for Back to School so you need to research it eventually). A Pogrom is a Pogrom, the mini-pogrom was a figure of speech (it will be a different mission with a different name).