aliens

Author Topic: [GRAPHICS] Matching Weapons  (Read 17126 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
[GRAPHICS] Matching Weapons
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:03:37 am »
modsite version here https://www.openxcom.com/mod/matching-weapon-colors

This mod is in fact 4 mimimods in one with 4  rulesets.

Matching Initial Weapons - makes auto cannon, and rocket launcher match with Heavy Cannon Pistol and Rifle

Matching Alien Launcher - makes Launcher Blaster match Small Launcher cause it looks cooler

Matching Lasers Colors - makes heavy laser and laser pistol match with laser rifle

Matching Plasma Colors - makes plasma rifle match with heavy plasma and plasma pistol and also changes plasma pistol handle to blue.

This mod replaces the sprites and does not modify the items directly. Any other mod changing weapon stats will work. This is just cosmetic only.

Enjoy :)

EDIT: Sorry guys I made a booboo i named files wrong so mod wouldn't load up.  hellrazor helped me out placed his files instead of my ones. Choose whichever ones you want. I am only 80% happy with laser pistor/heavy laser look but much better than vanilla I was only happy about 50% :)

EDIT2: Final version up includes pistol fixes. Now im 99% happy. Used the fixed naming conventions hopefully it works this time.

EDIT3: fixed a bit of shadow on plasma pistol handle now is more realistic . check it out :) both zip files are up to date right now. Also see attached pics for comparison before and after.

EDIT4: also matched auto cannon and rocket launcher.

EDIT5: set is now complete.. All alien weaponry looks kinda same technology.

EDIT6: matching initial weapons updated also flips pistol bigob sprite
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:44:44 am by tollworkout »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: matching laser weapons minimod
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:08 am »
Totally agree with this one as I think the blue/red is much nicer, to me the heavy laser's color is a bit drab. Have just put this one on my current game.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: matching laser weapons minimod
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »
Waiting for this! Great Work.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: matching laser / matching plasma weapons minimods
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:18 am »
Guys  Thanks

I just updated to include plasma fix as well in addition to the laser fix.

It is something that always bugged me about UFO that plasma rifle looks different that the other plasma weapons and laser rifle also looks different than the other laser weapons. But laser rifle is sexy as sh*t and so I matched lasers to it. I like the look of laser rifle i just don't like they don't normally match. I also like heavy plasma look so I didn't wanna change that. I think it takes a bit of time getting used to new heavy laser/laser pistol but I feel is still better than vanilla.

I might replace the handles of plasma and laser pistols making laser handle red and plasma handle blue. Any thoughts?

I split it into 2 diff rulesets so is up to you if you want one or the other or both.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:25:08 pm by tollworkout »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:07 am »
I might replace the handles of plasma and laser pistols making laser handle red and plasma handle blue. Any thoughts?

Yes, do it. It was the first thing to come to my mind when looking at the picture in OP.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:48:30 am »
Well the files weren't named properly so it failed to load.
I don't wanna be a dick or so but i allowed myself to rename everything.

Edit: Removed my Attachments.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:56:04 pm by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:09 am »
Yes, do it. It was the first thing to come to my mind when looking at the picture in OP.
I agree would fit better :)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 05:39:43 pm »
nobody is a dick i'm gonna rename the files sorry about that & thanks for you helps  :)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »
Fixed the pistols I think it looks nice. I tried to keep kinda same look-feel as the weapon technology. I couldn't keep the pink border around plasma pistol after changing handle to blue. Also I had to add pink border around laser pistol handle cause red to blue was too dramatic without no in between.

Yes!

Uses hellrazor's naming scheme just so ppl don't have many versions (which they probably do :/)

EDIT1: fixed the lil shadow on the plasma pistol handle it looks much better now
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:08:27 pm by tollworkout »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:22 pm »
Fixed the pistols I think it looks nice. I tried to keep kinda same look-feel as the weapon technology. I couldn't keep the pink border around plasma pistol after changing handle to blue. Also I had to add pink border around laser pistol handle cause red to blue was too dramatic without no in between.

Yes!

Uses hellrazor's naming scheme just so ppl don't have many versions (which they probably do :/)

EDIT1: fixed the lil shadow on the plasma pistol handle it looks much better now

Thanks tollworkout this will be a constant addition to my gameplay :)
I removed my attachments, so noone downloads the wrong stuff.

I hope in future mods you will name your stuff properly (jeah i am kinda naming and commenting nazi in rulefiles :D)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
nono is cool. Thanks for your help. Was my fault . I have 2 openxcom data folders (in fact 3 ) cause i use commendations in one, regular in the other cause they need different nighlies (3rd one is openxcom extended). I fixed the mod in one data folder but not in the other one etc and when I uploaded I uploaded the wrong broken one bleh :)

Glad  is fixed now and glad you liked it. 

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Matching Weapons minimods
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »
Added a new minimod matching auto cannon and rocket launcher making them look black like all other first tear weapons. Enjoy :)

I m gonna do Blaster launcher next I m thinking I should match it to Small Launcher green.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Matching Weapons/Item Graphics minimods
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:42:11 am »
Without wanting to discourage your work... have you considered that the weapons might have different colours to help the player distinguish between similar ones when they are being displayed on your soldier's hands?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 12:46:08 am »
I m gonna do Blaster launcher next I m thinking I should match it to Small Launcher green.

I concur!

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:18 am »
I concur!

DONE! Let me know what you guys think. I need honest. Bloody honest opinions.

I LOVE the new blaster launcher ! But maybe is just me.

All alien weaponry is brown/blue. Alien Launchers have a bit of green and orange-ish canister components.

All starting tier 1 human weaponry is black.  Lasers are that purplish blue red combo.

They all should work fine. All have custom handobs and floorobs and bigobs and have been optimized to show in Ufopedia fine.