aliens

Author Topic: [GRAPHICS] Matching Weapons  (Read 17123 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Matching Weapons/Item Graphics minimods
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 12:54:31 am »
Without wanting to discourage your work... have you considered that the weapons might have different colours to help the player distinguish between similar ones when they are being displayed on your soldier's hands?

I have. I think matching weapon tech helps in loadout screen but maybe hindering a bit in battle mode.

Honestly in loadout screen was kinda annoying as too many weapons were color coded like each other.   More color coded more organized easier to think.

This is purely optional which is why I split it up in 4 pieces. Some might find the old way better. I think im gonna stick with new things try it out.

In TFTD all weaponry tech is identical so I assume they kinda realized is just better this way.

Also some weapons have unique identifiers other than color
for ex alien launchers have green in them
human launcher other than black (initial weaponry) has orange/red markings 4 and one big screen hard to miss
auto and heavy have a bit of brown in them ...heavy cannon is blackest hard to miss
etc.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:07:25 am by tollworkout »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 01:22:30 am »
Most of them look pretty good. But you asked for bloody honest opinions so:

1- The laser pistol has no red except for the handle, which isn't red for the other two weapons.
2- The Rocket launcher has a coppery color that's not in the other weapons. Maybe the purplish or brownish color found on the heavy cannon would be better? Or something else..
3- The barrels of the autocannon could be darker, to make it look more like the heavy cannon
4- Both the rocket launcher and the autocannon are lighter greys than the rifle/pistol/heavy
5- The heavy plasma has a black handle and purple clip, the plasma rifle has a purple handle and black clip, the plasma pistol has a purple handle, the heavy plasma clip is purple, the rifle's clip is black, the plasma pistol's clip is beige (?!). Pick a handle color (black?) and a clip color (purple?) and make them all the same! ;)

If you do that, I might well use all of 'em but the laser mod (already have a different one). Neat work overall!

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:31:54 am »
Most of them look pretty good. But you asked for bloody honest opinions so:

1- The laser pistol has no red except for the handle, which isn't red for the other two weapons.
2- The Rocket launcher has a coppery color that's not in the other weapons. Maybe the purplish or brownish color found on the heavy cannon would be better? Or something else..
3- The barrels of the autocannon could be darker, to make it look more like the heavy cannon
4- Both the rocket launcher and the autocannon are lighter greys than the rifle/pistol/heavy
5- The heavy plasma has a black handle and purple clip, the plasma rifle has a purple handle and black clip, the plasma pistol has a purple handle, the heavy plasma clip is purple, the rifle's clip is black, the plasma pistol's clip is beige (?!). Pick a handle color (black?) and a clip color (purple?) and make them all the same! ;)

If you do that, I might well use all of 'em but the laser mod (already have a different one). Neat work overall!

1. i know. i tried so hard to add red somehow on the gun just doesn't work unless i modify the gun completely. i wanted to stay true to original look just changed colors.
2. true. i tried brown coppery look and looks bad. right now is more of a screen on the weapon. maybe different color like green?
3. autocannon is a bit buggy in battlescape  from vanilla game it kinda looks like a rifle sometimes.  so i still need to fix it up a bit more. i actually darkneed autocannon 30% from vanilla :)
4.  i tried really dark atocannon and rocket launcher and didn't look so good. rifle is good cause it has some nice white outline  . in my changes i tried to preserve the look and feel just change the color. only autocannon and rocket launcher got 30% darker than original .
5 i 'm aware of this problem :) is a bit odd. i kinda didn't wanna change so you can quickly identify ammo. heavy plasma clip is the back handle. plasma rifle clip is the front handle. and plasma pistol clip is the bottom brown piece of the blue handle

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 05:15:10 am »
guys i been playing around with my own mod and i gotta say Arthanor had a point with plasma stuff. ammo is kinda all over the place and maybe i can do a bit of more styling on the rifle perhaps top of the rifle can have some blue (like laser has red on top).  and heavy plasma handob needs to be darkened a bit is practically invisible on a soldier wearing a power suit.

but all other weapons don't feel out of place at all!

autocannon, rocket launcher match with the human weapons look don't feel strange.

and the blaster launcher doesn't even feel modded. is like vanilla blaster launcher is the modded one. don't wanna boast but my version looks sexy as s*it. is deff my favourite one right now. laser rifle is no longer the only sexy gun out there :))

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: [GRAPHICS] Matching Weapon
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »
now all you need to do is mirror the Pistol sprite. wasn't there a mod somewhere that did this? because, you know, it's the ONLY weapon with the handle pointing to the left... :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 09:10:24 pm »
Maybe this is right? You should use pistol upside down? :D

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:19:10 pm »
I didn't notice the pistol was flipped. A bit of variation is not SO BAD. I m mo about color coding weapons to match tech.  With that being said   you guys want me to add that 1 in?   :)

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »
I'd LOVE to have the pistol flipped, that always irritated the hell out of me.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 11:23:58 pm »
DONE :) pistol flipped.  matching initial weapon 1.1

I didn't even notice before but after I noticed  it started to bother me me too haha. also updated the image and the modsite as well.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »
DONE :) pistol flipped.  matching initial weapon 1.1

I didn't even notice before but after I noticed  it started to bother me me too haha. also updated the image and the modsite as well.

Would you consider also doing the Clips for Plasma weapons and Heavy Canon / Auto Canon? And maybe recolored HandOb's?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [GRAPHICS] Matching Weapons
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:49 pm »
yep no problem.

question is what color?

should they look like heavy plasma blue? should they be like  blue/copper combo....or should they be blue for both rifle and heavy and copper/brown for pistol. ?

autocanon and heavy cannon i assume black instead of coppery/brown

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »
should they look like heavy plasma blue? should they be like  blue/copper combo....or should they be blue for both rifle and heavy and copper/brown for pistol. ?

autocanon and heavy cannon i assume black instead of coppery/brown

Make Plasma Clip all Blue same as Heavy Plasma clip color.
For Autocannon / Heavy Cannon same color as Rifle Clip would be nice i guess.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 01:52:54 am »
ok i'm working on this right now but honestly i think the clips for autocannon/heavycannon should stay coppery color.  i gotta change the autocannon/heavy cannon cause their clips on the weapons are coppery still.

EDIT: if you look closely on the bigobs for utocannon and heavy cannon their top area where clip goes in are that brown/copper color. i kinda made autocannon match with heavy cannon.  i may have to change autocannon/heavy cannon completely to black but if i do that then is gonna be kinda boring no color variation.

what do you think?

i'm gonna change plasma ones though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:57:23 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 03:44:22 am »
added Matching Plasma Weapons v 1.1 adds matching blue clips  and a custom handob for plasma rifle clip. Is beyond the scope of this mod to add custom handobs but for those who are using Custom Handobs mod by Ivan Dogovich and see their plasma rifle clips as black they gonna get annoyed. This is just a lil detail thing for them.

I decided not to change the color of the clips for heavy and auto cannon for 3 reasons:
1. the custom handob mod already has them as vanilla look and i'd like ppl to be able to use that as well 
2.  that bit of brown/copper on autocannon/heavy cannon is a nice touch and clips being brown/copper a bit nicer more color variation.  and
3 is beyond the scope of this mod to add content like custom ammo handobs which vanilla game doesn't have (default game has no ammo handobs and all use grenade handob instead). plasma rifle is the only 3 exception.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:48:58 am by tollworkout »