aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 307093 times)

Offline kiksy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:28 am »
Having issues with OpenXcom-1.0-ge1f416d-bundle.apk.  :'(

Game loads fine, Geoscape is fine, as soon as I try and enter Battlescape, game FCs.

Tried a total uninstall, removed openxcom dir from internal SDcard, removed all OpenXcom files from external SDcard and did a fresh install on PC, copied over all the files again and then installed OpenXcom-1.0-ge1f416d-bundle.apk again. No luck though.

Logcat:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/175186/logcat_and_device_info.zip

Thanks again for all your effort on this.

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:54 pm »
Looks like it's missing a file for some reason. Have you tried installing to an internal SD card (path to data would be /storage/emulated/0/OpenXcom)? The preloader expects data to be there (will probably have to add some more paths to the preloader, shouldn't be hard).

Alternatively, just unzip the attached data.zip file into your OpenXcom folder, overwriting everything.

(The problem is caused by a missing graphic and a missing reference to it in the ruleset - the current data version is somewhat different from the nightlies, so a working auto-updater is a must, it appears)

Offline kiksy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 12:50:17 pm »
Have you tried installing to an internal SD card (path to data would be /storage/emulated/0/OpenXcom)?

This solved it.

There was already a dir in /storage/emulated/0/ called 'openxcom' (note lower case) which seems to contain save games and config .cfg files, my 'data' dir is now in there too, and everything works fine. This version seems to have solved the stick buttons on the buy/sell screen.

Thanks again!

If its useful ,Samsung seem to use:

/mnt/sdcard (internal sdcard)
/mnt/extSdCard (external sdcard)

as well as

/storage/emulated/0/ (internal sdcard)
/storage/extSdCard/ (external sdcard)

for their mount points.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Great work. Thx

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:24 am »
Tried the port on my LG G Pad v500. Game run very fine. However, I got pretty irritated with the controls. Really hard to select a specific soldier without accidentally making the previous selected one to walk. Is there anyway to ask for confirmation before let the soldier walk? Ideal situation would be to have a radial menu, so if you tapped somewhere near a soldier, it would ask if you wanted to select that soldier our move the previous one to a nearby square.

Also, for some weird reason, when tapping somewhere to move, the cross never gets in the place i clicked

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 10:22:39 pm »
Its already available, option with path preview or something in name.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:06 pm »
the path preview is being shown, but that´s what I meant with the "cross". The cross at the end of the path preview, where I want the soldier to move, is never where I touch the screen. Even with path preview, it´s still off-target. Then sometimes trying to place the cross in the correct position, the soldier moves to the wrong one.

but of course, even worse is trying to select a soldier, and the game understanding I touched in a blank space near that soldier, and moving the previous soldier to that location, spending all the TUs.

Problem could largely be solved by having a "move confirmation button".

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:13 am »
imho, the problem is that specially in a game like this, moving to an undesired space, even if VERY NEAR where you wanted, can have big consequences. Gee, even turning to the wrong side can have big consequences, since you spend your TUs.

so, on the PC, actually every action has a confirmation... which is the mouse click. Because before CLICKING the mouse with either button, you move the cursor with the mouse and the cursor highlights if it´s over a soldier or where EXACTLY it is. THEN you click it.

on a touchscreen, you don´t see the "box" from the PC version, showing exactly which caracther you have your "mouse over". You tap to select and ONLY THEN the box appears... usually in the wrong place. And the "confirmation" is another tap. However, if you already selected the wrong space instead of selecting a soldier, then you try to tap over that soldier again but again tap right next to it, you are ACCIDENTALLY confirming the action of moving the previous soldier. See the problem?

Therefore, I think there should be a confirmation button to avoid this. Instead of tapping where you want the soldier to go, the ideal would be to drag that box around, just like you did with your mouse. Than confirming a move... or confirming you want to change the player selected. A tapping button replacing the left mouse button.

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 02:00:29 am »
Hi, I have trouble starting the app on my Xperia ZL.
I've installed what I believe is the UFO Collector's Edition from an old magazine disc, applied the "universal patch" and installed OpenXcom for Windows, which in itself works flawlessly on my PC. I then installed the latest version of the app and copied the data folder to the phone's storage. The folder seems to be the right one, since before I found out where exactly to put it, the app would tell me it can't find the files. Now it seemingly does, but I get this error message:

"Loading OpenXcom 1.0-ge1f416d...

ERROR: GMDEFEND not found" etc.

Googling it, I've only found others with this issue on the desktop version of OpenXcom, where it seems to be related to unpatched files of Xcom 1.0. But, in my case, I have applied the patch and the desktop version runs fine. Any ideas? :)

Either way, great work! It's lovely seeing this legendary game in an updated form on mobile devices! Keep it up! :)

[edit]
Solved the problem! See my next post.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:26:41 am by Syrion »

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:10 am »
Made more tests, and I discovered what is the problem that is afflicting me.

For some reason, only at the battlescape, the tapping point is not calibrated. That means, the game is recognizing the touch about one/one and a half squares from where you click. Meaning that if I try to move a soldier, I tap in a place but the game will show the path ending in a square about 1 or 2 squares "southeast" of where I tapped. Same thing when selecting a soldier. I must tap a bit left of the soldiers head, instead of tapping his feet, to select him.

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 03:37:01 am »
Solved my problem, sort of! I've exchaned the midi files in the SOUND folder with ogg music from this page, and now the app runs flawlessly :D I'd still like to use the midi files at some point, but I'm happy it works now.

I've played for an hour and I must say I am really surprised just how well the game works. Especially how well the controls work in geoscape and the menu! Apart from all being a little bit small it feels very natural and well ported. Alas, I have to agree with aceshigh concerning the movement controls in battlescape. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but just like he describes it just feels "off". Especially since often times when tapping on a tile, it will show a movement path to that point, whereas the "cursor box" will be placed at a different tile next to that spot. I guess one problem is that the cursor in the PC version is never directly placed on the tile itself, but as aceshigh said you still always know exactly what you are pointing at because of the box.

Still, it's awesome to have such a high quality version of X-Com on a mobile phone, thanks a lot!

[edit]
I've disabled "drag scrolling" in the options, which enables you to just move the cursor by dragging on the screen. This shows that indeed the cursor works exactly as on the PC, but since you can actually see and move the cursor box, making precise inputs is much easier. I think it would greatly improve the controls if normal dragging with one finger would only move the cursor like that, whereas dragging with two fingers would move the camera. This way I think you could easily combine precise with quick controls without the need for additional buttons or functions :)
The only problem would be the "long press tile to turn soldier" function, since it often triggers accidentally when dragging the cursor.

[edit²]
Played a lot longer than intended now. With the knowledge that you have to tap slightly above (not to the side, just above) the ground tile you wish to select, the controls are much less of an issue. They're not ideal, but I've only rarely made mistakes now, while ordering the squad around is still quick.
I'm pretty fascinated, playing Xcom on a mobile phone this way is so much more fun than I imagined. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of your android port before, this is pretty big news!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:55:01 am by Syrion »

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »
[edit]
I've disabled "drag scrolling" in the options, which enables you to just move the cursor by dragging on the screen. This shows that indeed the cursor works exactly as on the PC, but since you can actually see and move the cursor box, making precise inputs is much easier. I think it would greatly improve the controls if normal dragging with one finger would only move the cursor like that, whereas dragging with two fingers would move the camera. This way I think you could easily combine precise with quick controls without the need for additional buttons or functions :)
The only problem would be the "long press tile to turn soldier" function, since it often triggers accidentally when dragging the cursor.

this is a good idea Syrion. I am sure people will be able to think on more solutions. My guess is that the cursor is a bit way off from where you tap, because you can´t always see the feet of the soldiers (where you should be tapping). Like inside the skyranger... soldier on the near wall have only their heads visible. Your solution would be good... move the cursor around like with a mouse. But you did not explain how did you select the soldiers or where they should go. I mean, you move the cursor around until it´s exactly over the soldier you want. Fine. But how to select him?

I noticed no Android only menu exists yet. The menus are all exactly like the PC version. I wonder if in future versions we can have some 2-3 Android only (touch screen) movement/selecting configurations and select which one we prefer from the menu...

Offline johnny

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »
hey guys,

wow - what an awesome port of the game! the first dos classic that really is fun to play on a mobile device with awesome accurate controls! thank you very much.

i just got a question: can i use my android savegames for the windows game and vice versa? or does the android version writes something different in the savegames than the windows version?

cheers,
j.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
hey guys,

wow - what an awesome port of the game! the first dos classic that really is fun to play on a mobile device with awesome accurate controls! thank you very much.

i just got a question: can i use my android savegames for the windows game and vice versa? or does the android version writes something different in the savegames than the windows version?

cheers,
j.
Savegames should be the same across versions.

Offline ufomesh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:30 am »
Hi!

I still can't download your great mod/port from the mod site, it says that there's no such file (the same picture with all versions of android openXcom, other mods are downloaded perfectly). Could you post direct links to it here at forum when new version is ready for download?

Thanks a lot!